Author Topic: Power Supply Contest! Free E36312A  (Read 34268 times)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Power Supply Contest! Free E36312A
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2017, 06:33:53 pm »
I can confirm it is still going - because I just got an email telling me I'm the week 7 winner! Woohoo!

Awesome! Congratulations, Fred.

I must admit that beforehand I was wondering the same thing though. There's nothing on the Keysight website to indicate that the competition is still happening. No confirmation of entry, list of entrants, updated list of winners. Keysight have run another great competition, but are not really making the most of it.

Yeah, it's quite a contrast from Scope Month. Hopefully, Daniel can visit the power supply group (I don't know if they're in the same location or not) and share all the learnings from the past Scope Month events.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2017, 11:56:51 am »
I have just received an email, that I am a winner of this contest.
WOW!

Thank you so much Keysight and Daniel for pointing this contest out to us.

I will make a writeup to share my experience, once I get it.
Thanks again Keysight !!!

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline Evan.Cornell

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2017, 04:05:10 pm »
Do the odds of winning improve if the same story is submitted every day? Or are unique entries only accepted as multiple entries?

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2017, 04:24:53 pm »
Congratulations, High Voltage!

For the records, here's my story and what I made of it:
http://wunderkis.de/E36312A/index.html
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2017, 05:40:42 pm »
WOW!

Awesome! Congrats, HV!

Do the odds of winning improve if the same story is submitted every day? Or are unique entries only accepted as multiple entries?

No one from Keysight has come back to provide any clarification on how the contest works. We keep asking, but there have been no official answers.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2017, 08:13:33 pm »
Very nice indeed. Congrats HV !
VE7FM

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2017, 08:44:41 pm »

I don't think so. The contest is drawn no more frequently than weekly, so submitting more often is quite possibly going to penalize you rather than help.

The outstanding question, which still hasn't been answered, is whether weekly entries roll over to judging in later weeks.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2017, 09:06:17 pm »
WOW!

Thank you so much Keysight and Daniel for pointing this contest out to us.

I will make a writeup to share my experience, once I get it.
Thanks again Keysight !!!
Congratulations HighVoltage!!!
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2017, 11:51:07 pm »
I have to remember to enter this one. I think I can make some more room ;D

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
  • A Finn in Scotland. Audio Apps Engineer and Maker.
    • nihtila.com DIY audio electronics
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2017, 08:36:29 am »
Congrats! When did you send your entry? According to the rules they should draw every Friday. Just wondering as I sent my entry in the beginning of this week but no-one has checked it yet (it is an unlisted video on Youtube). Hope someone checks by Friday  :-[
http://nihtila.com - Vegan DIY audio electronics, does not contain snake oil

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2017, 10:20:11 am »
I reply myself, they check the entries on Tuesdays (or Monday US time?) - I am the winner of this week!  :scared:

Could get used to this - will go next to my MSOX3104T Scope Month scope! :P

And yes, big thanks to Daniel again for pointing this out! Obviously not so many people know about this contest.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:21:52 am by nihtila »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2017, 06:03:59 pm »
Congratulations nithila!

I am really loving not to have to use up to six DMMs on its outputs to measure V/A - its built-in meters are quite good!
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2017, 07:26:35 pm »
Congratulations, nihtila!

I'm still unsure if mine are actually going through. Upon submitting a story, I see a brief animation below the text box with the file name, then a white page with a link to go back to the form. Does that mean it's successful?

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2017, 08:13:05 pm »
Congratulations, nihtila!

I'm still unsure if mine are actually going through. Upon submitting a story, I see a brief animation below the text box with the file name, then a white page with a link to go back to the form. Does that mean it's successful?

I'd guess, yes it was. I did not get any positive confirmation, in fact none at all when I submitted my entry. Once I submitted for last scope month, I got an error message saying "it isn't next day yet" or the like, otherwise none.

Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2017, 09:20:29 pm »
Congratulations nithila!

Great to see more eevblog members winning this contest.
I also had no confirmation after hitting the send button.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2017, 09:22:04 pm »
OK, thanks. I'll just keep trying.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2017, 04:18:14 pm »
When I submit mine, I see mostly a white screen. If I scroll up there is a thank you for entering kind of message.

I need to enter again today - at least I think this is the last day to enter for this week. I am not sure of the cut-off time. I was trying to enter on Thursday's to be sure, but I ran out of time last week and had to wait fill Friday after work - and again this week...

It seems most of the winners so far are from outside US/Japan?

Looks like there is stiff competition brewing here... I wonder if adding some kittens would help? Everyone loves kittens  :-DD

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2017, 04:46:42 pm »
It didn't help me. I entered a few weeks ago with a lovely photo of my cat "helping" in the lab. Didn't hear anything back at all :(

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2017, 04:55:11 pm »
I reply myself, they check the entries on Tuesdays (or Monday US time?) - I am the winner of this week!  :scared:

Could get used to this - will go next to my MSOX3104T Scope Month scope! :P

And yes, big thanks to Daniel again for pointing this out! Obviously not so many people know about this contest.

I didn't enter, because It appears, that I would get a HUGE customs tax bill, of many hundreds of pounds, if I entered.
As nice as these power supplies, may well be. I'm not really happy, to pay £350 (or whatever it comes to), because of their huge list price, and the way import duties work.

Or am I mixed up or missing something ?
(It's possible that people with companies, can reclaim the VAT, maybe that is the magic trick ?. Assuming the PSU is for company business use.).

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2017, 05:55:22 pm »
I'm entering as an individual, but for the company information I am entering the place where I work. There would be no affiliation between this contest award and my employer. I hope my employer is not being considered a factor as that would likely be a detriment to my chance of winning. It's a required field so I felt better using a real company rather than making one up...

I'd gladly pay whatever tax is due as I'm probably going to buy a decent power supply, eventually... There is no dumpster dives where I am. Hard to buy anything at all for a deal around here as everyone has money and snaps everything up and relists it on ebay or CL for a ransom.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2017, 06:08:14 pm »
I'm entering as an individual, but for the company information I am entering the place where I work. There would be no affiliation between this contest award and my employer. I hope my employer is not being considered a factor as that would likely be a detriment to my chance of winning. It's a required field so I felt better using a real company rather than making one up...

I'd gladly pay whatever tax is due as I'm probably going to buy a decent power supply, eventually... There is no dumpster dives where I am. Hard to buy anything at all for a deal around here as everyone has money and snaps everything up and relists it on ebay or CL for a ransom.

I think the UK, would add VAT, at 20% of the total maximum list price + delivery charges, plus a percentage for import duties (depends on what is bought, and how much). Which, came to about £350 for it, from memory. Which is approaching $500.
To put it another way. If I was to win a competition. I would want to get the item for "free", and not have to pay huge tax/duties/VAT for it. E.g. Get Keysight UK** (**substitute applicable country of residence here) to give the winner the item, then I believe it would be "free".
EDIT:
I forgot to say, but the delivery company, can add on big charges as well, if there are charges to be made. So it can come to a worrying amount.
E.g. for cheaper items, the delivery charges on top of the normal charge, so that they can perform the customs charge, can be as high or even bigger, than those charges. I.e. for some things it can cost +50% more, on top of the purchase price. For expensive items like this threads PSU, it is probably an extra percentage of the total of about 6% to 12% + £20 or something like that.
These various add ons, can add up to a rather unpleasant surprise. Easily doubling the charges, for cheaper items. So £15, costs £30 total, etc.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 06:28:47 pm by MK14 »

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2017, 06:33:15 pm »
I do not know how UK taxes work, but that would be a good deal.

I am expecting to have to claim the $1550 prize value as income and pay federal and state taxes, which combine to 38.5%, or $597USD (% depends on your fed tax bracket and local state tax).

Maybe one of the US winners can clarify that if I'm wrong. I do not believe I will have to pay state use tax (like additional sales tax of 9%).

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2017, 06:36:02 pm »
It is a bit of guess work. I did not pay anything for my MSOX3104T (delivered from the UK) but my friend paid £110 for the DSOX1102G (delivered from Malaysia) this year. Where did that £110 come from, no idea. There was no value written anywhere in the paperwork or any reference how DHL came up with that number. As it was lower than could have been, was just better to pay it without asking.

I am not too worried about taxes on this PSU (unlike my scope which had a list price of £10k+) but I do hope it will be significantly less than £350 as that is almost a price of a Rigol DP832 or similar. As this PSU is new, it is possibly it comes directly from Malaysia. Anyway, your £350 sounds high as the price of this PSU is around £1000. AFAIK, there are no import duties on electronics and there will not be delivery charges for us either. Unfortunately delivery companies' stupid charges are real. After all, I stay confident it would be max £200. I will keep you informed.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2017, 06:41:05 pm »
I do not know how UK taxes work, but that would be a good deal.

I am expecting to have to claim the $1550 prize value as income and pay federal and state taxes, which combine to 38.5%, or $597USD (% depends on your fed tax bracket and local state tax).

Maybe one of the US winners can clarify that if I'm wrong. I do not believe I will have to pay state use tax (like additional sales tax of 9%).

Deleted response. Sorry, I'm straying way too much off-topic.

That sounds like a lot for you in the US.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 06:46:38 pm by MK14 »

Offline nihtila

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2017, 06:46:18 pm »
There are no income taxes and NI on prizes in the UK, at least that is what I have been told by many.

So it is about the courier company that takes the money before delivering your parcel. And that is VAT plus their own charges (afaik no import duties on electronics).

I am also not 100% sure but quite sure this is how it goes in practice.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf