Author Topic: Radioshack CEO on Ask An Engineer  (Read 5632 times)

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Radioshack CEO on Ask An Engineer
« on: August 16, 2016, 11:14:47 pm »

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
Re: Radioshack CEO on Ask An Engineer
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 12:44:33 am »
"Can I have your stuff?"

Offline ruthsarian

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 01:23:39 am »
My local Radio Shack is closing at the end of the month. No idea where I'll go when I blow a capacitor in a poorly wired project on a Tuesday evening now.

I see value in brick and motar electronics shops, but I wonder if enough people do to make it profitable. My question is: is there a future in brick and motar electronics shops and is there anything we consumers could do to better support them?

Offline CM800

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 08:52:14 am »
My local Radio Shack is closing at the end of the month. No idea where I'll go when I blow a capacitor in a poorly wired project on a Tuesday evening now.

I see value in brick and motar electronics shops, but I wonder if enough people do to make it profitable. My question is: is there a future in brick and motar electronics shops and is there anything we consumers could do to better support them?

No, there is no future in bricks and mortar hobby retail electronics. Well, not a big future. It will become a niche in places around universities for example where a concentration of EE students gather, maybe. The Rpi and Arduino has helped it stage a bit of a resurgence. Unfortunately there is an element of the "old guard" who insist on sneering at them.

Embracing everyone with even a tangential interest in electronics is one thing that could be done. It is up to the retailers themselves to entice consumers to their stores. If you artificially support them and give them less motivation to adapt to change rapidly then they'll inevitably fail regardless.

On the plus side the Internet has been a marvellous innovation for creating a wealth of easily accessible information. So the barrier to entry is nearly non-existent as far as data and ability to communicate with others. I knew no-one when I was a kid.

I think the only way we could really have easily accessable components is if we have some kind of hobbiest superstore that companies also benifit from.

One store that has:
-Arts & Craft Metal, Plastic and Wood / craft books
-Chemistry glassware and chemicals / chemistry books
-Electronics Components / Books
-Hackerspace built in? (Throw a corner in with a lathe, mill, 3d printer, reflow oven, chemistry bench, welder etc.)
-Operates a webshop
-Lectures / Sessions on various topics.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 07:17:34 am »
I think the only way we could really have easily accessable components is if we have some kind of hobbiest superstore that companies also benifit from.

One store that has:
-Hackerspace built in? (Throw a corner in with a lathe, mill, 3d printer, reflow oven, chemistry bench, welder etc.)
-Operates a webshop

Disagree, you're pretty much describing a hackerspace.

Really sad to say I think brick and mortar component shops are dead, we're just seeing the final twitches from the nervous system

I wish it wasn't so, I used to have three independant component shops and a Tandy in my local town centre when I was a kid, now I don't even knwo if there's an independant bricks and mortar components shop left in the UK. 

Arduino, Pi and all are an excellent 'in' for electronics but code is not a substitute for good engineering skills at a hardware level.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 07:51:11 am »
My local Radio Shack is closing at the end of the month. No idea where I'll go when I blow a capacitor in a poorly wired project
Rat Shack as Tandy Died long time ago ,here in Oz  jaycar survived by more consumer ready-made electronics, but u pay big-time 4 the convenience, as bricks-&-mortar is very poor value for money IMO,  use on-line if u can
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 08:11:28 am by jonovid »
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 11:26:55 pm »

One store that has:
-Operates a webshop

Disagree, you're pretty much describing a hackerspace.

Really sad to say I think brick and mortar component shops are dead, we're just seeing the final twitches from the nervous system

I wish it wasn't so, I used to have three independant component shops and a Tandy in my local town centre when I was a kid, now I don't even knwo if there's an independant bricks and mortar components shop left in the UK. 

Arduino, Pi and all are an excellent 'in' for electronics but code is not a substitute for good engineering skills at a hardware level.

Do hackerspaces sell all that stuff?! 

Please tell me the answer is "No."  I still need to buy groceries this month.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf