Author Topic: Retro Computer Festival 2019 - 7th & 8th September [UK]  (Read 2408 times)

Offline dexters_labTopic starter

• Supporter
Retro Computer Festival 2019 - 7th & 8th September [UK]
« on: September 02, 2019, 07:27:34 am »
For those interested in vintage and retro computing/gaming etc this weekend there is the Retro Computer Festival 2019 at the Centre for Computing History in Cambridge UK.

I have arranged for both my Quantel Paintbox Express and my Quantel Harriet to be there running for anyone to have a go with

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/53612/Retro-Computer-Festival-2019-7th-8th-September/

it looks like it could be a good show.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Retro Computer Festival 2019 - 7th & 8th September [UK]
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 08:25:21 am »
Thanks for the heads up on this. I had no idea the place even existed or this festival was even on! I will see if I can escape for a bit but am booked on Sunday already  :--. Interested in the paintbox as well since I discovered in about 1990 that the Queen Miracle album cover was done on one :-+

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 10:02:13 am »
i hope to see you there then!

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 10:16:02 am »
Here are some pics from the event, i forgot to take pics of the other room sorry!

Jason also made a livestream available too:

There was lots to see, lots of 8 bit home computers with a few 16 bit there too including some really interesting Russian speccy clones. Lots of home-brew computers too. it all made for a great event that was also open to the public so was great to see them wandering around asking questions and getting hands on with the old tech.

There was quite a lot of interest in the Paintbox, in the end i decided to take the older Harriet system but i did miss the extra speed my paintbox express has. It was still a nice setup TBH with a video camera and a video printer so i could take video clips, render animation and make prints. I was surprised how many people had heard of Paintbox, though most didn't know what it actually did! So it was great to demo some of it's features and explain why they were so popular in broadcast tv.

Keep an eye out on the http://www.computinghistory.org.uk website as they expect to run more events like this
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:46:28 am by dexters_lab »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 10:35:50 am »
Unfortunately I couldn't make it due to family obligations. However thanks for posting an update - will go through this later!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf