Author Topic: SCHOOLS MAKERSPACE GIVEAWAY: Rohde & Schwarz NGA142 PSU  (Read 17510 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
SCHOOLS MAKERSPACE GIVEAWAY: Rohde & Schwarz NGA142 PSU
« on: June 25, 2021, 12:09:48 am »
Win a slightly used Rohde & Schwarz NGA142 100V 2A Power Supply for your school or makerspace.

As per this video:

This is NOT a random draw, do NOT post in this thread unless you are entering. But other users can "Thanks" the post to effectively vote for an entry.
The "Thanks" vote may have some sway in this but this is effectively Dave's Pick. No correspondence will be entered into.

This giveaway is open to individual and groups, simply make your case for why you want one of these bits of kit and what you'd do with it.
It could just be a few paragraphs, photos, video, whatever you think will gets Dave's attention.
Preference is likely to be given to youngsters and/or groups of some kind, but you never know what will take Dave's fancy.
You can suggest what instrument you'd like, but I only have one to giveaway.

Post ONCE and ONCE ONLY in this forum thread to enter.
Seriously, ONCE ONLY, or I'll delete your entry.

Entries close soon-ish.

In theory there shouldn't be any limitation on which country can enter, but I would not rule out issues there.
You may be responsible for import taxes and charges based on you country and any stupid local import laws you might have. If you don't like this remote possibility, don't enter.
The unit will be shipped as *cough* used/faulty *cough* by DHL express courier only. If DHL is a problem then please don't enter.

The following users thanked this post: Fabian, Shiv, kangalooj, megaChungus, applesauce

Offline ketszim

Re: SCHOOLS MAKERSPACE GIVEAWAY: Rohde & Schwarz NGA142 PSU
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 02:17:50 am »
Hi all,

I am the (electrical) hardware design lead for a (university) student run cubesat team in Vancouver, Canada.

Our team focuses heavily on designing/testing PCBs to run the satellite (On Board Computer, Communication, Electrical Power System, Payload) as well as testing COTS parts such as magnetorquers and various sensors.

A power supply like this would help us to perform testing, specifically for things such as sun sensors that help us determine the position of the satellite as it orbits the Earth. Some of the projects we've worked on include a triple redundant microcontroller system used to counter the issues we see from radiation in space. We even had the opportunity to perform radiation testing of this system at the world's largest cyclotron: TRIUMF.

I've attached a few renders to show the satellite that we're designing and more info can be found at our website: https://www.ubcorbit.com/

Offline ssander

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 03:10:00 am »
Hi Eevblog,

Here is the existing power supply that I have. I made this in my 1st year at TAFE in the workshop class. 0 - 20V (ok it only does 1  - 18V), the current is about 1A, I think.  :bullshit: (using the icon because it is analog, not for the actual meaning of the icon)

The case was made by me from sheet metal and a metal bender, spray-painted as well.  8)

To use it, set the voltage without load, apply the load and give the knob a tweak (tongue out) to then set the voltage under load.

I know, it's awesome, what more could anyone want, you ask. But, I think the Rohde & Schwarz PSU would make a suitable replacement.

Enjoy!

Offline SunboX

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 06:18:43 am »
Hey Dave,

I'm André from the Makerspace Sternenlabor e. v.

As you can see from the picture, we are very limited in our current electronics workspace. We have only this old school power supply. Better than nothing, but a digital one next to it would be great. And being able to measure uA is even greater (ESP deep sleep aso.).

We are a non-profit organization, so we rely on donating and sponsoring.

Thanks for you great videos, I personally learned a lot out of them already. And thanks for donating to the community!

Greetings from Germany,
André

contact / shipping address (in case of):

Sternenlabor e. V.
Bleichstraße 7
08523 Plauen
Germany

www.sternenlabor.de

Offline mgildir

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 10:48:01 am »
Thanks

Offline fighterx64

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 01:54:52 pm »
Hello,

my name is Christian, I am involved with my local hackers space where i recently picked up designing and building eurorack modules. we curently only have decent psu but it is only single channel so im using a meanwell fixed power brick instead. having a decent psu would really help us out!

greetings from chris,

partisipant @ frack.nl

Offline Fabian

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 02:51:58 pm »
Hi Dave!

I am part of the ham radio group of the university of Braunschweig, Germany, called akaFunk, see www.akafunk-bs.de (sorry, all in German).
We are a bunch of crazy people, doing crazy stuff with electronics and, of course, ham radio. We provide the often necessary practical part to the otherwise quite theoretical lectures.
Although we are decently equipped with RF and radio gear, we currently have only a single and cheap power supply, which is often the limiting factor when multiple people are working on their projects. Its also analog only and thus limited in its features.
Due to fact that this is a student group, funding of such nice gear is nearly impossible to accomplish.

Kind Regards,
Fabian

Offline TK0130

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 08:56:05 pm »
Dave,
Entered as an individual on the other thread. Here is what I said there:

"Some random EE student entering. My venerable HP lab power supply blew up on me the other day. (Tantalum went short and took the internal 12v rail for control to 36V and toasted every single semiconductor in the thing.)

Sincerely,
Nathaniel (KM4GIP)"

Wasn't sure if I counted for this but I thought I would try anyway. (and give more detail here.) I am an EE student and team lead of the mars rover competition team at my local university. I was also president of the robotics club for three years until I passed the baton to a new student this last semester. I have designed and built everything from a CRT Oscilloscope (about 10MHz) to a 100W HF RF Amplifier, to a Co2 laser cutter.

In addition to design work I have done repair work on everything from my current 100MHz oscilloscope to a sorenson 80V 16A power supply and a HP 3GHz signal generator (Amazing dumpster find!)

I really need something with a little more precision than my current "Meh, +/- 1V ripple is fine" sorenson for when I teach electronics. It has also gotten in the way of designing a 1,000W HF Amplifier for ham radio along with many other projects.

Thanks,
Nathaniel. (KM4GIP)

Offline Bradlez

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 04:56:54 am »
Hi Dave!

My name is Bradley. I'm a subcommittee member of UNSW ELSOC, the faculty's society for undergraduate electrical engineers studying in the University of New South Wales in Kensington. I actually had Andrea Morello as my lecturer last term! He was great (and that course was really hard 8))!

We would like to have a power supply in the society's office as many students often come in to study and make their projects. As our aim is to help students get through courses and teach them electrical engineering knowledge, we believe having a flexible power supply would make it much easier for students to test their designs, whether it may be for hobbyist purposes or as a requirement for a course (like ELEC3117). Often, the labs would be occupied or just simply closed, which makes it very difficult for students to work on their projects without having expensive equipment at home. We already have a Siglent oscilloscope in the office, so by having a power supply to complement it, we can create a setup where students can work and test their projects in the office without hassle. If you have any questions, let me know.

I actually want to put a photo of the society's office here but since it's the weekend, we're all at home. I might edit this post in the future to add a photo when I can. I've found some old photos of the office! I've attached them to the bottom of this post. This is where we work!

Kind Regards,
Bradley Lin

« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 07:38:44 am by Bradlez »

Offline applesauce

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 06:34:58 am »
Hi Dave!

This is my first post on the forum, but I've been a long time viewer of your YouTube channel! Many of your videos have been a great help to me and my team members during the design of our avionics system.

Speaking of avionics - I'm the upcoming lead (for 2021 - 2022 school year) of the Avionics team of the Buckeye Space Launch Initiative (https://bsli.space/)! We are a student led group from the Ohio State University, of mostly undergraduates working on multiple rocket related projects. This past year we launched a 30k ft. altitude sounding rocket with a completely custom designed avionics bay. Here's a video talking about our design for the 2020-2021 rocket: https://youtu.be/uU2YMfWYKLk?t=489

Unfortunately since we are a student led group, we need to acquire most of our funding through fundraisers and sponsorships, and as you can probably imagine building sounding rockets, liquid fueled rockets and other experimental propulsion systems leaves very little funding left for electronic test equipment. The only test equipment we currently have is an Analog Discovery 2, a Harbor Freight multimeter :-- and an unregulated DC power supply (no CC mode  :palm:). As you can imagine this makes it really hard to bring up boards for the first time in a safe way - current limiting resistors can only do so much.

We've been able to accomplish so much with the small amount of equipment we have, and having a proper bench power supply like this would allow us to achieve so much more! I am planning to use a chunk of this years avionics budget to buy a proper multimeter (a BM235 perhaps  ;) ) and an actual bench power supply would be an amazing addition to our test setup. The lower voltage - higher current model would be best suited for our applications!

We have tons of ideas for this years avionics and telemetry system - I'll be sure to start posting some updates here on the forum!

Kind regards, and good luck to everyone  ;)
Joe Heiser

Offline megaChungus

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 10:55:44 am »
Hello

I'm 14 and my psu is a very crappy china powered supply (i cant set the milliamp range :(   ).

It would be real cool to have such a nice power supply.

Here are some hot pics of my bench to solicit a donation : )

Offline markokikinda

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 11:18:25 am »
Hi Dave!

I'm writing on behalf of Pionir free school. We're a free school for kids 13-17 yrs of age, in Kikinda, Serbia. One of the topics we try to cover is electronics and electronic design, and given we are free for students, self-funded and work as a cooperative, it's very hard to get new equipment. Many of the students don't have their own computers, let alone a PSU to work with. Together, we've adapted a 207 year old house into a school building during the pandemic lockdowns and this is the space we use now.

Attached is a photo of a room where we do soldering, component harvesting and upcycling (some components are hard to find here), and a PCB for a 4116/4164 DRAM tester a student of ours designed to repair ZX Spectrums RAM we were donated.

More info on the school https://pionir.org
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 10:41:24 am by markokikinda »

The following users thanked this post: ANTALIFE

Offline DooMMasteR

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 10:33:20 am »
Hi,

I am Steffen and a member of a German hackerspace in Braunschweig, we would of course love to receive such a nice supply for all the different projects our members are involved with. 
More info on https://stratum0.org 

Greetings and good luck everyone.

Offline bowen-everitt

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2021, 04:09:34 am »
Hey Dave!

First of all, love your videos, they are what got me into electronics and I watch on a daily basis.

This is my first post on the forum, there will be many more to come :)

My name is Bowen Everitt, I am a 14 year old student in Los Angeles. In my spare time I have been working on avionics for myself and a small team of excited young engineers.

I also do electronics design and development for my schools robotics team. We recently had major issues with power supply quality and fried an MCU and a motor driver.
Unfortunately our robotics club gets zero funding from the school, so one of our mentors (who volunteers) had to pay out of his own pocket to get us new components.
This is my effort to help out our team and our mentors.

I have also started work on a multi-stack open-source avionics design that will require a much more precise voltage and constant current supply than my current cheap ebay unit.
Some boards that I have designed are linked below.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 04:33:37 am by bowen-everitt »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2021, 07:21:31 am »
Entries now closed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf