Author Topic: Suggestion on future contest rule change  (Read 21273 times)

Offline os40la

• Regular Contributor
Re: Suggestion on future contest rule change
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2013, 02:49:11 pm »
Wouldn't it be funny if Dave disqualifies the people that complain about the rules.  :-DD

Dave, thank you for having a contest and giving us a chance to win some nice test equipment. Please Don't count this post as 1 of my 5 required posts.  :-+
"No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express"

Offline delmadord

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2013, 12:02:31 am »
I did also register and made 5 posts with 0 added value, just because of contest. I agree that there are people that contributed far more to the forum and deserve to win far more than me, but rules are as they are, and If Dave decides to disqualify me for not having 5 quality posts, then he'd be right.

Nevertheless, I love the videos, now episode #336 and listening to the AmpHour too. I knew about the forum since I know about the videos, but I wasn't that interested in participating. I quite frankly believe that Dave is doing this contest, among other reasons, to motivate lurkers like me to contribute. If it is really that, then, it is probably working. I joined the forum and starting to like it  :-+

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2013, 04:01:42 am »
There's another category too though, which I seem to have hit more often than any other; that of "non topic" which results in a locked thread. I live by "Dare to question status quo" and if there is something that truly annoys me, it's other people telling me what I can or can't debate in life!

You can debate anything you like, just not on an electronics forum. There are countless forums to debate any subject you desire, it's better to use those than pollute an electronics forum with off-topic stuff.
Most people use the "show unread posts" button to view new messages, and if an off-topic free-for-all orgy is allowed, then the electronics gets drowned out in a list like that. No one wants that.

In general, engineers/developers tend to speak right off the bat and be wonderfully politically incorrect, that's how we get stuff done, unlike politicians who excel at dancing around a topic saying nothing. As long as there are no personal attacks and the tone is civil, I really wish threads would be allowed to continue, regardless whether they digress from some arbitrary technical topic.  *shrug*

So do I.
But when you run a forum like this you begin to understand that the majority do not want that, they come here for the electronics.
Really off-topic stuff that gets out of hand has zero upside for the forum, and all downside, that is why it is being clamped down on.
I appreciate that it's community and people like to occasionally discuss off-topic stuff with their friends they know and like on the forum, that is why some off-topic stuff is allowed provided it doesn't get out of hand. I do not want the Top 10 list of topic threads on the board to to be about religion or politics.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 04:04:58 am by EEVblog »

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2013, 04:38:05 am »
I do not want the Top 10 list of topic threads on the board to to be about religion or politics.
Compiler preference discussions can make religion or politics seem mild. ;D

Offline jmcdonald

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2013, 01:03:53 pm »
quote author=EEVblog link=topic=21503.msg305093#msg305093 date=1381196743]
Dave will just pick a winner at random, and only then check the number of posts. That's how he did it the last time.

Yes, only need to check the winners.
Fact is there has been relatively little flooding the forum with crap posts in the scheme of things.
It only stands out because it's more than usual and people are looking for it.

The problem is, as always, I can't please everyone.
I've got people complaining that I'm not rewarding the loyal youtube viewers, or podcast viewers, or blog viewers and if I do that I'll get complaints I'm not rewarding the loyal forum users etc
Then I should be having a Supporters only contest etc.
[/quote]

Viewing your videos is reward enuf. The first video I watched was the $100 multimeter shoot out part 1 (because I own the extec/cem rebadged digitec multimeter) thought I would not watch the whole thing as it went for 50mins+ . I watched the whole video my wife watched part two with me :-+ now I check for new videos daily.

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2013, 10:15:24 pm »
... Fact is there has been relatively little flooding the forum with crap posts in the scheme of things.
It only stands out because it's more than usual and people are looking for it.
I think I have seen more crap posts with complaints about crap posts than actual crap posts.

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2013, 03:15:20 am »
March 16 is George Simon Ohm's birthday.
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2013, 06:42:06 am »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2013, 10:15:46 am »

Didn't you know he was very resistant to anyone celebrating his birthday?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2013, 03:35:22 pm »
He was Georg, not George. He was German and so was his name.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline tubos

• Contributor
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2013, 10:06:13 pm »
Good point but as someone stated the contests should also attract new users
that are willing to contribute.

Offline npnlamp

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2013, 09:38:20 am »
Hi dave! I don't know if should post here, but. You really won't mark prize as gift? Why? Because it's actually is :D. Also if a man rally can't afford an good multimeter, and really needs it, then I think he can't afford one with 60% price off (yup, 30% taxes :( ).

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2013, 04:11:39 am »
FYI "March 16 is George (-e)  Simon Ohm's birthday." I thought I was posting in the qualification forum, not here.

I will now go down and lie down under the  shady poled Wheatstone bridge and see If I can short circuit my girl's shunt.
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Offline Caca

• Contributor
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2013, 08:44:36 am »
Well since Dave said the posts have to have some value us "new spammers" try to make our posts count (at least I try to) so there's obviously more whining from people who had been here before as we are lowering their chances to win.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2013, 11:29:25 am »
so there's obviously more whining from people who had been here before as we are lowering their chances to win.
I don't think that's the reason... Lately there has been a big drop in interesting technical posts (at least from my perspective) and a rather large drop in posts from the more learned members of this forum. I for one am patiently waiting for this contest to be over so that things can get back to normal.

Having said that, if there are any new members reading this who are genuinely interested in electronics, please don't judge the forum in it's current state. Its normally a wealth of interesting information with some very knowledgeable people to steer you in the right direction

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2013, 12:13:29 pm »
Quote from: AlfBaz
  I for one am patiently waiting for this contest to be over so that things can get back to normal. 
Agreed with all you say ! I just want to get back to reading the nerd bitch fights :-)
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2013, 01:21:50 pm »
I just want to get back to reading the nerd bitch fights :-)
:-DD  :-DD

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2013, 03:03:09 am »
I am trying to get back to relearning a little hobby electronics.  I ran across the EEVBlog purely by chance.  I started watching some of the videos and figured I would join up to get questions answered, get pointed in right directions and get help if needed like on getting my bargain $40 USD TEK 2235 scope working again.  I didn't join for the contest.  Yes, I did join on Oct 6th, but, as I said, I joined to start learning again.  Thanks to this site, I have already bookmarked Gerry Sweeney and Allen, W2AEW's YouTube links and have built an octopus circuit tester to go with my Tek 2235.  Don't lump all of us in the same free contest boat ride.  I am not going anywhere.  I plan to keep reading posts on topics that interest me and ask for help or ask question as the situation arises.  So, yes, I did register for the contest with a proviso in my post that I hope my posts have qualified me.  If it doesn't qualify me, all well and good.  I am still going to continue to enjoy the site.

Tom
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2013, 06:07:30 am »
Good Tom, keep coming back. The popcorn here is pretty good and as a bonus is calorie free.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf