Author Topic: UK Radio Rallies  (Read 28163 times)

Offline SquarewaveTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: UK Radio Rallies
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2022, 07:14:35 pm »
At the bottom of the list on the rsgb website, the November rally is listed under cancelled events.

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2022, 07:36:31 pm »
Not according to the two browsers I've tried.

As I say, it's worth checking before travelling.

"To reserve tables contact rally@chippenhamradio.club for more information."

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2022, 07:57:09 pm »
Chippenham's second Rally is cancelled isn't it?

Horse's mouth... https://wiltshirespc.org/wp/g3vre/rally/

Hopefully horse doesn't have a serpent's forked tongue.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2022, 08:29:29 pm »
That's interesting. Wonder where the rsgb got that from then. I may go in that case but it'll probably be very small if it's indoors at the same site?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2022, 08:38:00 pm »
RSGB have a reputation of not being able to organise a piss up in a brewery. Took me a week for them to unfuck buying a book from them about 3 years ago.

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2022, 08:48:02 pm »
The pictures on the website tggzzz found look as if they were taken by an estate agent. "This rally in a bijou but deceptively spacious hall in a sought after location, is bound to attract a lot of interest among discerning clients".

I suppose mid November isn't too late in the year for outside stalls, if the weather is kind.

I assume it's on, but I'll check closer the day, and if so I'll go because it's an easy half hour drive.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2022, 10:17:52 pm »
The pictures on the website tggzzz found look as if they were taken by an estate agent. "This rally in a bijou but deceptively spacious hall in a sought after location, is bound to attract a lot of interest among discerning clients".

I suppose mid November isn't too late in the year for outside stalls, if the weather is kind.

I assume it's on, but I'll check closer the day, and if so I'll go because it's an easy half hour drive.

There is, apparently, another indoor room available as well. I presume it will be smaller than the "cozy" main hall.

Sun or fog would be OK outside; rain wouldn't. It rained at their event earlier in the year. I took some treasures, but didn't bother to open the car boot.

I did find an ESI DekaPot there for £10, but otherwise it is merely bits and pieces.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2022, 11:16:15 pm »
If I lived in your part of the Bristol area I'd think the Chippenham November rally was a marginal one, certainly for what might be  a wholly indoor event. For me it's a shortish run down the M4.

Who knows what's going to turn up at these things? At the smaller ones there's less chance of coming across interesting junk people are trying to get rid of, but haven't the heart to take down the dump.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2022, 01:02:20 pm »
Anyone going to St. Neots also?

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2022, 02:16:26 pm »
I'd have to be convinced it was on a par with Newbury or better. It's a three hour drive for me. That's a 6am start.

MK would have been on the limit.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2022, 03:02:57 pm »
Yeah, a three hour drive isn't worth it at all really. I limit it to an hour, maybe a little more if there's other things in the area.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2022, 03:36:02 pm »
I need to make sure my shopping list is up to date, I've a few projects and a rally is a good place to get some items.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2022, 03:20:31 pm »
Was at the MK Rally today, was smallish, as it always has been, but picked up a few goodies.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2022, 12:13:47 pm »
Just got back from the Huntingdon rally, a good turn out with a few goodies  :)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2022, 10:42:31 am »
From the website, Telford looks like it might be good, but...

It is a 2+2hr flog for me.
I'm knackered.
Rain is forecast.

Doubtful I'll bother :(

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2022, 11:13:09 am »
Yep, Telford is too far for me too really. Might, just might go to Andover tomorrow, still not sure yet, it's been a busy weekend so far and I'm quite tired. BBQ and too much drink already......

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2022, 12:06:21 pm »
Anybody going to Hackgreen Hangar Sale in Cheshire tomorrow 30th? https://www.hackgreen.co.uk/events/hangar-sale-autumn

At least we get an extra hour in bed tonight.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2022, 06:56:11 pm »
I went to the HackGreen hamfest today.

Small, in an MoD "farm shed", the usual traders I see were absent (probably too far for them). Not much new stuff, lots of old stuff, so relatively interesting.

I picked up three Philips ZM1050 decatron-like indicators

and an APC UPS, shown with a working front panel .

The adjacent "Secret Bunker" museum was well worth a visit. It would have been one of the regional centres of government if WW3 had started. Now it contains some interesting exhibits I haven't seen elsewhere e.g. Russian equipment, missile warheads and payloads and a WE177 400kt bomb. The WE177 and payloads were both surprisingly small, and I can see how the concept of a man-portable nuke-in-a-backpack is technically feasible.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2022, 07:21:09 pm »
Nice acquisition !
I didn't know you could get them with numeric-shaped electrodes, mine are all just pins.

I've only been to Hack Green once but it was a lot of fun - i stayed overnight in my tent and enjoyed a late night whisky-fueled chat. Don't know if they still do that but yeah, the site is interesting even though the rally is quite small.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2022, 10:23:38 pm »
Hack Green is too far for me, but because of how far away it is, I use their web SDR for testing purposes.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2023, 08:46:29 am »
Was at Newbury on Sunday, forgot to post here to see who'll be there. Was a good day, restraint in my buying things to hoard.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2023, 09:02:21 am »
Was at Newbury on Sunday, forgot to post here to see who'll be there. Was a good day, restraint in my buying things to hoard.

Not so "good" on my part, nor on Zenith's. I got another Tek1502, this one working apart from the expected hazardous waste zone, a Tinsley galvanometer (bust), an HP5300A multimeter with the delightful dotted 7 segment displays (bust), a Tek 2465 operators manual which I'll keep, Sony/Tek 323 service manual which I'll flip.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2023, 10:26:24 am »

Not so "good" on my part, nor on Zenith's. I got another Tek1502, this one working apart from the expected hazardous waste zone, a Tinsley galvanometer (bust), an HP5300A multimeter with the delightful dotted 7 segment displays (bust), a Tek 2465 operators manual which I'll keep, Sony/Tek 323 service manual which I'll flip.

The only thing I bought was a power factor and wattage unit for the Avometer. I don't expect it'll work and will never probably use it either, but for the price I thought why not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf