Poll

Should Dave feature/endorse Carlos A. on the EEVBlog youtube channel?

Yes
34 (54.8%)
No
28 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: April 16, 2016, 02:03:54 am

Author Topic: [ Poll ] Voting for Carlos A in the Keysight contest  (Read 17512 times)

Offline DimitriPTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
[ Poll ] Voting for Carlos A in the Keysight contest
« on: April 06, 2016, 02:03:54 am »
^^^ Scroll Up there is a poll question above and pick an answer .  ^^^

Well...it's pretty self explanatory....

...and while we wait for Dave to decide...   Go Vote for Carlos A.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:14:11 am by DimitriP »
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Voting for Carlos A in the Keysight contest
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 07:39:40 am »
If I were Dave, I'd be a little hesitant about promoting any particular entrant.  Promoting the contest as a whole - absolutely - and perhaps even giving the hows and whys of voting - but promoting a particular person would fail the impartiality test.

The fact that the leader in the voting at this time does not seem to make as good a technical case for the particular scope on offer is not as significant a factor in the big picture that it might seem.  In itself, the details of that particular project are not as important as the people who worked on it.  These people have collaborated on a truly engineering project and have performed well enough to be noticed by an industry group - but it's what these people could bring to the table in the future that is relevant.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 07:54:20 am »
+1 - do not promote any particular entrant
but encourage people to go, watch the video at least the 3 people in top of the list and vote what they think deserve the scope

The following users thanked this post: Towger

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 06:12:36 pm »
SELFISH ME:
Of course Dave should do a video per day breaking down the details of how much Carlos A. should win.

FAIRNESS ME:
I would love to win on merit alone. If people watch the videos and vote for the one they think is the most worthy, what else could I ask for.

PRACTICAL ME:
This contest is about social media reach. Social media is driven by personal decisions and support for those in your circle. It is abundantly clear that Nilu J has supporters, but they are not voting on any analysis of the video - they are her friends and her friends friends. I am doing the same thing, begging for support from people that don't have the slightest idea of what an oscilloscope is or how it can help a small business. David K is pulling in some serious votes and closing the 3rd place gap rapidly. What is wrong with pushing a forum member that has made a big effort to contribute to the community? Dave has already shown support because he liked the content - the pitch. A video post is no different than any of the current effort by any of the competitors - it's just that Dave has a bigger audience by far. He is not forcing anyone to push a specific button, only making his opinion known as he always has with every other video. We have all made our pitch via the videos - now is the time for the community to make their decisions of 'worthiness' and cement those decisions as votes. I certainly hope that my story is compelling enough to convince the whole forum that the scope will be fully utilized, provide enormous opportunity for professional growth, and benefit a hard working 2 income family.

Thank you to Dave for the support so far. I can only dream that you will consider posting video(s) to support the contest, and double dream of being endorsed in any way based on the merits of the video.

David K's acceleration rate is nuts. Nilu J may not be the one to worry about.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 06:18:03 pm by rx8pilot »
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 06:28:24 pm »
I think Dave already did some good promotion, so in case anyone missed it:

https://www.eevblog.com/2016/04/06/keysight-6ghz-scope/

https://twitter.com/eevblog/status/717543864093966337
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: rx8pilot, ChunkyPastaSauce

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 06:51:06 pm »
1st and 3rd place positions are held by students with huge access to very active social media.

I am 42 years old. Work 7 days/week at home. I am not a social media junky and the social connections I have are my age and don't want to be bothered by something they know nothing about. I literally have no chance of success without any big push from a big crowd. It's that simple. Dave could be my University portal.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 07:02:29 pm »
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 07:11:14 pm »
Votes in 3.5 hours

David K  +361
Nilu J.  +181
Carlos A.  +115

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 07:35:37 pm »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 08:30:50 pm »
I think Dave already did some good promotion, so in case anyone missed it:

https://www.eevblog.com/2016/04/06/keysight-6ghz-scope/

https://twitter.com/eevblog/status/717543864093966337

Dave very seldom dissapoints!!!   :-+
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 08:37:32 pm »
Votes in past 5 hours

David K  +577
Nilu J.  +213
Carlos A.  +139

Whatever David K. is doing to get votes clearly has some social media reach. At this rate of acceleration, the sky is getting darker.

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 09:20:42 pm »
Votes in past 5 hours

David K  +577
Nilu J.  +213
Carlos A.  +139

Whatever David K. is doing to get votes clearly has some social media reach. At this rate of acceleration, the sky is getting darker.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 11:50:38 pm »
..started to taper off...  :phew:

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 12:40:35 am »
..started to taper off...  :phew:

David K went +896 votes in a little over 8 hours. That is about 300 voters that were convinced to go to the site search, vote, captcha three times. Is it announced at school and the students get extra credit?
Not sure what to do next, I have burned all of today on managing the 'campaign' - I have to go make circuit boards now. I am going to try to listen to music and calm down a little while I run the boards.

Thank you VERY much for those taking the time to get involved in the conversation and those that are voting. The support is a really great feeling.

For those lurking or passing by, I encourage you to take a moment to watch the videos - make your choice about who the winner should be. I believe it should go to the entrant that has the best use case for the scopes intended purpose - measuring and analyzing fast and complicated signals.

I just happen to be a professional with a small business in the motion picture and TV industry. There are very fast and very complex signals in this world - All of which are off limits to me until I have the test equipment to design for those signals. It is a big barrier to moving up. The 6000X scope is a surprisingly good match for what I want to do with it in the process of changing the course of my business and what I can offer. Any professional move up directly provides for my family so this is not a small thing to me. It is both personal and professional with a long lasting impact.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 12:45:30 am »
In over 24 hours, there have been 360 views and only 25 people cared to express an opinion one way or the other, and voting on this thread is waaaaaaaaaay easier than any other voting.....
Go figure

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 01:32:54 am »
Add 'POLL' to the title - may help participation. Took me a second to notice it at the top of the page.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 03:16:25 am »
^^^ Scroll Up there is a poll question above and pick an answer .  ^^^

Well...it's pretty self explanatory....

...and while we wait for Dave to decide...   Go Vote for Carlos A.

let's see what happens now
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 03:18:24 am by DimitriP »

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
Re: [ Poll ] Voting for Carlos A in the Keysight contest
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 04:29:10 am »
David K blasted upward +900 votes in an 8.5 hour period followed by ZERO votes for 4hrs and still counting.

Maybe there was a TV commercial or an announcement at a huge event, who knows how that would have happened. Regardless of how it happened, I believe that if people in this field, both pros and amateurs, watched the 3 videos and examined the prize, I would have a far better chance. Like I said before, the content of the videos is irrelevant to the majority of the current voters - including mine. I have spent enormous amounts of time bugging the crap out of my 641 Facebook contacts and the groups that I participate in. To most, it just blends into the background noise on Facebook. When they see "vote for Carlos A" on the timeline, it looks like work. Getting people to vote daily is excruciatingly difficult and I cannot risk annoying my professional contacts with constant begging for votes. Those that know me or know of me, have been voting obviously (2300+ Votes). My sisters are traveling to the UK to run a big competition with kids where they will try to use that as an opportunity to blast some big vote numbers. It all seems crazy, that a scope contest is going to invade a kids sporting event in the UK where none of them have any idea what an oscilloscope is or what profession might use one. But they will be voting, as many as my sisters can wrangle. WTF?

An EEVBlog video, on the other hand, is something that people volunteer to watch, they are able to understand the presentations and make a reasonable decision. Hopefully, many would be motivated enough to vote when they see a $70,000 scope on the line. The stakes are high, the race is tight. David K got some sort of huge gust of wind from somewhere - is it unfair that others get a gust of wind as well from whatever legitimate source they can? A 'worthy' winner is a good end-game for most people. Right now, it is totally random and based on who hustles to  most for two straight weeks and gets anyone with a FB account to vote. The power of the EEVBlog and the forum community is that can change - THIS CAN BE AN ENGINEERING CONTEST. A contest of merit. Please join in. 

If Dave specifically describes his opinion about why he likes my specific entry - huge bonus. Break it down, talk details. Examine the use case. The viewers will still make up their own minds - a YouTube video provides information and opinions - it will not vote on anyone's behalf. For anyone that does not agree with Dave or if they think I am an idiot - they can vote for anyone or not at all. Please join me in voting and pushing for a YouTUBE presence for this.

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 05:50:48 am »
Carlos, you keep insinuating your fellow contenders. Now number 3 is maybe giving extra credits at school according to you..

Why don't you stick to a positive story for your own entry?

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 06:02:26 am »
Carlos A. Full marks for effort.
But seriously, if you need a scope of that calibre why don't you sell you RX8?

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 06:04:57 am »
Carlos, you keep insinuating your fellow contenders. Now number 3 is maybe giving extra credits at school according to you..

Why don't you stick to a positive story for your own entry?

It is true that I am letting too much emotion get in the conversation. I don't mean to sound accusing and agree that I should stick to the positives of my own story. My big frustration is not with my fellow competitors, but really with the fact that this does not have much to do with the stories presented. I got my hopes up too early and now that the lay of the land is known, it seems clear that my chances have diminished substantially. I will, however, try to keep the narrative clean and just hope something changes in my favor. There is little I can do at this point anyway. I have planted the seeds everywhere I know of. It's just a slow waiting period I guess.

Thank you.

The following users thanked this post: jancumps

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 06:27:50 am »
I'm wondering when this is going to degenerate into a mud slinging competition. :popcorn:

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 06:40:38 am »
Carlos A. Full marks for effort.
But seriously, if you need a scope of that calibre why don't you sell you RX8?

My RX8 and all hobbies are long since gone in a crushing 2006 divorce. I had to sell my business, move to a new state and start from scratch in the span of a week. The RX8 was gone early 2007. That is a long story - 10 very long years of recovery and I am still underwater to this day. Long story kept short - I barely get by. My business is now built into my garage and based on random eBay leftovers. I am not trying to make a sob story for anyone, but I have spent 10 years recovering from a cheating ex-wife that literally stole everything and convinced to the California family court that I should give her even more after she stole everything (since she took everything before filing for divorce). The RX8pilot handle is from another life. When I landed in California, I was able to get a small shop up and running making camera equipment. Because of the absence of cash, I made some bad decisions to align myself with other companies (for a quick buck) that ensured I would never get anywhere. Once I wiggled out of that, again in a financially desperate condition, I tried another pseudo partner ship that ultimately spelled the end of my machine shop when it failed. Again, picked my bruised ass up and decided never to partner or align myself with anyone again - and started down my electronics path. This was a GREAT decision and offers fantastic promise. The past two years have been consumed by learning and developing electronics after dusting off my incomplete EE education that is over 20 years old. What little I had when the machine shop fell apart has been used to cobble together the absolute minimum needed to design and deliver my power product. My new wife carries the majority of the financial weight right now, but every once in a while I get a burst of work. Generally, each month is break even. If we have a good month it's nothing to get exited about, because the next month may be slow and it will average out.

Anything that I can add to my arsenal of options gives me the chance to escape the never ending month-to-month hustle to pay the basic bills. I see this scope as spending time with my children and not working every single weekend. As rough as it is, I do have the skills and the ability to design and build concept to completion products out of my garage. The dream is to add to a break even average so that it can actually turn a profit and provide a stable life. I don't mind a simple life, but unstable is a rotten place to be with a wife and kids.

That is why I cannot purchase a scope of the appropriate caliber to design what I am hoping to design. All my credit is maxed and I have no cash. With all that said, this is the best position I have been for 10 years.

Right now, I am desperate for a break.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 06:44:07 am »
I'm wondering when this is going to degenerate into a mud slinging competition. :popcorn:

No mud slinging, just a pinch of emotion during the course of a plea for support.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: jancumps

Offline lpc32

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 12:35:42 am »
Good luck!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf