Author Topic: Wave 2018 (formerly Scope Month)  (Read 50824 times)

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
Wave 2018 (formerly Scope Month)
« on: January 17, 2018, 07:10:16 am »
Hi everyone, I'm very excited to finally announce Scope Month 2018 Wave 2018!

Thanks to the overwhelmingly positive response from this group and other engineers like you, we're expanding Scope Month to cover more than just Oscilloscopes. And, if we're all being honest with each other, a month is pretty long for an event like this. So, we're condensing the event into a 2-ish week period - March 1-16.

So, the name obviously had to change. Love it or hate it, I've personally become quite fond of the name.

And, of course there's a stellar daily giveaway worth over $30k USD. Winners will get to choose between one of two prize options:

1.   Bench bundle – 500 MHz MSOX3054T, 33622A waveform generator, E36313A 3x output power supply, U1282A handheld, 34470A DMM
2.   RF Bundle – N9918A 26.5 GHz FieldFox with both VNA and Spec An options + N7555A ECal kit

We've also put together some new eBooks and tips plus a couple other surprises for you.

Register at https://www.wavekeysight.com/

(wave.keysight.com also redirects to the above URL)

We'll live kick off on 1-Mar on the Keysight Labs YouTube channel (formerly "Keysight Oscilloscopes").

You can get one entry between now and 28-February, and one entry per day during the event. Bonus entries for social media stuff as outlined on the confirmation page.

I'm happy to field questions here, so ask away. But, I can't answer tax or eligibility questions - I'm not a legal or tax expert and cannot offer advice in those areas.

I will say that I fight hard to include as many people & countries as possible, but an event of this magnitude will inevitably run into local roadblocks.

I'm super excited for this March, good luck to everyone!

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: Wave 2018 (formerly Scope Month)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 07:18:00 am »
Mandatory info which I believe lots of people will be interested, cut copied & pasted from the TC page.

At least this will save people from the excluded countries a few mouse clicks.  :P

This promotion is limited to specific countries and is only open to entrants aged 18 years or older at the time of submission who are legal residents of, and physically located within, Austria, Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec), Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Korea Republic of, Poland, South Africa, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States (excluding Florida, New York, and Rhode Island), and Venezuela.

Edit : Just curious why Venezuela is included, I thought as now, the people there are still fighting for food ?  :-//
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:40:07 am by BravoV »

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 07:24:50 am »
Just curious why Florida, NewYork, and Rhode Island have been excluded : I thought that people there are NOT fighting for food ?
;)

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 07:45:13 am »
What a great opportunity again.
Thank you!
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 11:31:17 am »

I will say that I fight hard to include as many people & countries as possible, but an event of this magnitude will inevitably run into local roadblocks.

Perhaps an answer to the eligibility thing is to give the option to trade part of the prize for a return flight to collect in person  :)
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 12:42:43 pm »
Wow so great. Thanks for posting it here!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Too bad thought that it is (again) a suscribe and win thing.
I liked the concept you used for "power up my bench" much more. Since you have to put some effort in it limits the number of people to enter and would allow you to select people who actually need / use / apprechiate your devices instead of selling them off as quickly as possible...

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 05:52:30 pm »
And again not allowed to participate , and no clue why but probably Keysight does not want to sell equipment in this country either  :)

Offline radar_macgyver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 06:06:19 pm »
2.   RF Bundle – N9918A 26.5 GHz FieldFox with both VNA and Spec An options + N7555A ECal kit

Hummana hummana hummana....  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 06:26:49 pm »
And again not allowed to participate , and no clue why but probably Keysight does not want to sell equipment in this country either  :)
Exclusions like this are usually due to the country's laws on lotteries etc.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 06:39:34 pm »
I just found this summary on laws surrounding prize draws around the world
https://www.dlapiperintelligence.com/prizepromotions/insight/index.html?t=prize-draws

Even where allowed, there can be awkward ( for someone outside the country)  requirements for registration, permits etc.

e.g. for Italy :
For Skills Competitions and Prize Draws, the winner must be selected either in the presence of an Italian Notary Public or an Officer of the Chamber of Commerce. In the case where the selection of winners is undertaken electronically, the results generated shall be certified by an expert.

Australia (NSW) :
A permit is required for all trade promotion lotteries and games of chance conducted in NSW.

I wonder if Dave got a permit for his giveaways...?

There may also be issues with agreements with local distributors, and of course general market targetting.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 07:44:45 pm »
AFAIK in our country the law is you only need a permit to hold a lottery when the participants need to pay for a ticket or pay in order to participate. This is and can be seen as a form of gambling, game of chance.
In that sense this is not a lottery, it is a giveaway. Germany has the same laws for paid lotteries. For each won euro a german citizin should pay 25% lotterytax. So not much difference.
A large international company can think of many different forms to hold these draws, such as holding a beta testing program, supporting universities etc.
But I stop, I don't want to put more negative energy into this topic which is supposed to be a positive thing and at the end will make some lucky people very happy.

Lotterieeinsätze   Bearbeiten
Der Lotteriesteuer unterliegen im Inland veranstaltete öffentliche Lotterien und Ausspielungen. Von ihr werden neben der staatlichen Klassenlotterie vor allem das Zahlenlotto und grundsätzlich auch der Fußballtoto erfasst. Der Steuer unterliegen auch ausländische Lose und Spielausweise, wenn sie ins Inland eingebracht werden.

Bei inländischen öffentlichen Lotterien und Ausspielungen beträgt die Steuer 20 % des planmäßigen Preises (Nennwert) sämtlicher Lose oder des Wettscheines ausschließlich der Steuer.
bei ausländischen Losen und Spieleinlagen beträgt die Steuer 0,25 Euro für je einen Euro vom planmäßigen Preis; ein angefangener Euro wird wie ein ganzer berechnet.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 08:57:13 pm »
AFAIK in our country the law is you only need a permit to hold a lottery when the participants need to pay for a ticket or pay in order to participate. This is and can be seen as a form of gambling, game of chance.
In that sense this is not a lottery, it is a giveaway.
According to the above site, for NL under "other local requirements" :
The prize value (whether for one prize or several prizes combined) must not exceed €100,000 in value per year

Maximum of one game of chance in relation to any product, service or organization per year, with a maximum of 20 drawings, ie a maximum of 20 occasions per year when winners can be selected which means that a maximum of 20 winners can be picked for the one game of chance.
Both of those restrictions would preclude the Keysight draw in its current form.

I think one problem is that most of these laws will date from before the Internet, and worldwide competitions were a thing, so probably don't consider how to deal with competitions based outside the country but availailable to people within it 

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 09:28:44 pm »
A couple things:

Wow so great. Thanks for posting it here!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Too bad thought that it is (again) a suscribe and win thing.
I liked the concept you used for "power up my bench" much more. Since you have to put some effort in it limits the number of people to enter and would allow you to select people who actually need / use / apprechiate your devices instead of selling them off as quickly as possible...

We will be doing the "Test to Impress" contest again, so there WILL be a merit-based aspect to this event. We like the idea of a sweepstakes but also want to look out for people that have a lot of potential merit as well. If I recall correctly, the grand prize is a bundle of their choice, and a few runner up prizes are 1000 X-Series. So, both high end and lower end gear as prizes this time around.

Running events like this Australia a nightmare, but they are included in the South Asia Pacific event. My understanding is that contests are easier than sweepstakes.

Without going into specifics about certain countries, issues can include:
Total prize value too big/small
Individual prize value too big/small
Country/state requires a large cash payment or bond relative to prize size
Sweepstakes/contest must originate from local country
Sweepstakes (random draw) vs. Contests (merit-based) discrepancies

The following users thanked this post: sixtimesseven

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 02:21:17 am »
Ahhhh...

same procedure discussion as every year!

I hope
  • for Keysight: No disturbances during the sweepstakes (like last year).
  • for Germany: No second "Sebastian".   |O  :palm:  :-[
  • for everyone: Good luck!   :-+   :clap:
  • for me: To win a "Dream Bench"...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 03:04:53 am »
So, the name obviously had to change. Love it or hate it, I've personally become quite fond of the name.

I, for one, welcome our new Wave overlords...right onto my bench. ;D Whatever it's called, thanks to Keysight for bringing it back with even more goodies. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 03:12:52 am »
why Venezuela is included, I thought as now, the people there are still fighting for food ?  :-//

Because people at Keysight are busy doing the right things and do not have time to attend brainwashing sessions.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 12:28:25 pm »
Not elegible, again :(

Perhaps an answer to the eligibility thing is to give the option to trade part of the prize for a return flight to collect in person  :)

i like this idea  >:D

Good luck to all :)

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 01:32:06 pm »
Well, I've put my name down.

I did not see what prizes are available and how they are selected/awarded.  The sort of info that is expressly detailed in the T's & C's.

Did I miss this?

The RF bundle is nice - but the bench bundle would get better use in my workshop.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 01:43:19 pm »
MSOX3054T   Oscilloscope, mixed signal, 4+16 channel, 500MHz   1
DSOXT3APPBNDL   SW application bundle license for 3000 XT-Series   1
33622A   33600A Series Waveform generator, 120 MHz, 2-channel   1
34470A (34465)   Digital multimeter, 7 1/2 digit, True volt DMM   1
E36313A   DC power supply, triple-output, 6 V, 10 A and 2 x 25 V, 2 A, 160 W: LAN, USB   1
U1282A   True RMS 60000 Count Handheld DMM   1

Wow, this is a serious bundle.
Belgium is included in the Wave 2018 - Test to Impress Contest.
You took feedback, and made multiple ways to get a price, basically allowing more countries to enter. Huge respect.

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 02:58:59 pm »
I'm going to try this again... I would sell my grandmother for 4 ch scope!

There were rumors that it was previously game-able by the creation of multiple email addresses.... hope it will be a level playing field this year.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 03:18:09 pm »
I'm going to try this again... I would sell my grandmother for 4 ch scope!

How old is your grandmother - and can she cook?  :-DD (checking for scopes around the house.......)

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 03:49:06 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, Daniel. On the list again.

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 06:38:52 pm »
There were rumors that it was previously game-able by the creation of multiple email addresses.... hope it will be a level playing field this year.

I personally vet each of the winners to avoid this as much as possible, we did do a few redraws last year because the drawn winner consistently entered each day with multiple e-mails. I reserve the right to make that judgement call, so don't panic if it happens once or twice. It's usually pretty obvious when someone is trying to game the system.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, NivagSwerdna, Mr. Scram

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 07:32:59 pm »
Just curious why Florida, NewYork, and Rhode Island have been excluded : I thought that people there are NOT fighting for food ?
;)

http://www.kleinmoynihan.com/sweepstakes-registration-and-bonding-requirements/

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 10:37:50 pm »
I'm in and deserve to win.   :-+

Where do I find more information about the quiz thing mentioned on the entry page and what is Keysights policy in regards to bribery and corruption for this years event, I can pay cash on the side if need be.   :-X :) 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf