Author Topic: Wave 2019 - Over 100 Prizes worth <$375k  (Read 36826 times)

Offline Pluscrafter

• Regular Contributor
  • Somewere on earth
Re: Wave 2019 - Over 100 Prizes worth <$375k
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2019, 05:14:02 pm »
Whats with your stream ???? There are many echos and the sound goes up and down. Is there a ghost, who haut the stream? :)

Online Towger

• Super Contributor
Re: Wave 2019 - Over 100 Prizes worth &lt;$375k
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2019, 05:44:25 pm »
Watching the live stream on the same PC broadcasting it?

Offline Pluscrafter

• Regular Contributor
  • Somewere on earth
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2019, 05:49:15 pm »
And have soundmix on.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2019, 10:07:02 pm »
Oof, the stream today was rough, sorry for the inconsistency. It seems that YouTube is having some significant trouble with their streaming servers today. The streaming control room pages have been pretty intermittent. However, I can't rule out error on our end. Thanks for sticking with it, we'll have it fixed for next Monday.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, xrunner

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2019, 10:20:25 pm »
Oof, the stream today was rough, sorry for the inconsistency. It seems that YouTube is having some significant trouble with their streaming servers today. The streaming control room pages have been pretty intermittent. However, I can't rule out error on our end. Thanks for sticking with it, we'll have it fixed for next Monday.

We forgive you - do we all get free scopes now? :)
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: mrpackethead, blueskull, Keysight DanielBogdanoff, CalMachine

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2019, 11:19:00 pm »

Daniel, thanks for sharing the link for the engineering joke faceoff video in the comments. That was a good revival.  :-DD
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline Pluscrafter

• Regular Contributor
  • Somewere on earth
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2019, 11:20:25 pm »
That would be nice :) That would cost them ca. 55 billion dollar, whey everyone who singed up in this forum gets a DSOX1204A. I think no one wish that Keysight goes bankkrupt :)

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2019, 01:28:33 am »
keysight, i'm really suprized that you are still using Youtube as a platform while they continue to to let it be used by people who are grooming children for sex.

Hundreds of big corporations have pulled their channels.

I wastn bagging keysight. ( sorry on review it migth have read that way ).. i was just suprized that they did'tn jump like the rest of them.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline electromotive

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2019, 05:01:06 pm »
I can't believe the amount of technical issues they've been having with the attempts at a live stream. Lets face it, the goal is to get more people interested in their product and generate sales -- I'd love to win one, but the production quality of the stream is on par with amature night at the AV Club. 30 minutes of technical issues one day, 3 stream failures on a different day... not good.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2019, 07:24:29 pm »
@electromotive, I totally agree and am honestly a bit embarrassed with the tech trouble we've had. We suspect there were some server issues, as the stream control room pages kept crashing/glitching and we saw some other channels have streaming/audio issues in the last couple days. We're waiting on some sort of statement from YouTube, but since it's creator-side I'm not sure what we'll hear.

I don't want to blame it on YT, though, and we're taking all kinds of extra steps to make sure the next couple run smoothly.

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2019, 07:41:33 pm »
Very nice video today... except, of course, for the fact that I didn't win a scope!  :P

Offline electromotive

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2019, 07:45:10 pm »
@electromotive, I totally agree and am honestly a bit embarrassed with the tech trouble we've had. We suspect there were some server issues, as the stream control room pages kept crashing/glitching and we saw some other channels have streaming/audio issues in the last couple days. We're waiting on some sort of statement from YouTube, but since it's creator-side I'm not sure what we'll hear.

I don't want to blame it on YT, though, and we're taking all kinds of extra steps to make sure the next couple run smoothly.

There's probably some weird integration issues going on, because every other Keysight production has been quite good. Hopefully it all gets resolved in time, because a lot of great info has been presented otherwise.   :-+

Offline Squiddaddy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2019, 08:07:47 pm »
These contests are great, and I enter when I can, but watching the live streams shows how these contests get over bloated.
There were so many people on there posting such childish comments, and not adding value to the discussion, and just wanting free stuff. And it takes away from the genuine people participating and watching the information, who could really benefit from winning a nice piece of gear, and may not have the resources yet to purchase something.
But, I'll keep participating in the hopes that I can win, but also to gather whatever great information I can on your products.
Good luck everyone!! :D

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff, Pluscrafter

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2019, 09:43:52 am »
At work You Tube is blocked (thank God). If the stars are alligned and I win does KS will contact me or not?

Sorry if it was a stupid or double questions.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2019, 11:55:26 am »
Where's all the whining this year? Surely Keysight must have ruined somebody's life via the winner's own country's tax demands?

Offline martin1454

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2019, 12:00:53 pm »
At work You Tube is blocked (thank God). If the stars are alligned and I win does KS will contact me or not?

Sorry if it was a stupid or double questions.
They will contact you in a few days if you win.

Also - winner list is here: https://connectlp.keysight.com/Wave_2019_Winners

Offline Squiddaddy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2019, 12:53:34 pm »
Anyone else having browser issues trying to enter??
I entered, and when I go back in the next day, it still says come back tomorrow, like it's caching something.
I clear out all of the browser settings and it still happens. I switch browsers, and I can enter, but the issue returns.
And sometimes it just says entry received, when I really didn't enter anything.
I have no way of knowing if I'm even entering the contest. I set confirmation email when I enter, but then get only one email, not one per entry.
So confused.

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2019, 05:53:45 pm »
Notification Emails have stopped for me after the first few days after entering. But the browser display works for me in Firefox.
Looking at the winners list i almost had a heart attack  ;D One winner has almost the same first name than mine, just one letter different, with the same initial... I'm still hoping i maybe mistyped and will soon get an Email  >:D

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2019, 06:18:10 pm »
I got the impression that when you entered initially, giving your details etc, that you are then entered into the draw each day. After that, if you go back you can re-enter that day for an extra chance to win.

https://blogs.keysight.com/blogs/tech/bench.entry.html/2019/01/12/wave_2019_overview-HU1Q.html

If there is something you are particularly interested, then you can go back to the competition page and add an extra entry for that particular day. So on Monday, I will go back and add another entry as the 120MHz waveform generators are up for grabs, and that is what I am particularly interested in. After that, I am not particularly interested in much else, so won't re-enter.

That is my understanding, but of course, I could be completely wrong.

Kind regards

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2019, 10:10:39 pm »
Where's all the whining this year? Surely Keysight must have ruined somebody's life via the winner's own country's tax demands?

It's always the Germans  >:D.   As soon as enough Germans have been awarded prizes, (they somehow get a disproportionate share of them), one or more whiners will emerge. 

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2019, 10:45:05 pm »
I would love a reason to whine  ;D
Though i would deny a copy of just the BenchVue Software ;)

But i can understand that people are somewhat miffed about having to pay VAT (and duties?) for a prize.
Normally, in Germany, any winnings, whether items ore money, are tax free. So there is the first surprise that many people are not aware of. And customs of course uses the list price for an item, if there is no actual invoice. Listprice of a DSOX3104T seems to be around 12.500 Euro, so that would already be 2375 Euro VAT, plus additional duties if appicable. More, if shipping is invoiced separately. If shipping is not invoiced, customs might declare a "standard" shipping rate anyway. Plus likely a DHL handling fee.
A 0$ invoice is not a solution, for a brand new expensive scope that might even be declared fraudulent.

Keysight is an international company. They easily could import the scope to any EU location themselves, and ship from there to the winner.

Anyway, rant over  ;D Congrat's to any winners :)

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2019, 01:24:58 am »
Normally, in Germany, any winnings, whether items ore money, are tax free. So there is the first surprise that many people are not aware of.
This is not entirely true btw. Actually prices are only free of taxes in Germany if they are won by mere luck. If any kind of achievement is involved like winning a quiz show, a beauty contest of even a science award, they are taxed. Besides, indeed I fear that customs is a totally separate matter. Potentially, import sales tax has to be paid for everything >22€ including shipping, no matter if it's a gift or winning. For something smallish with a 0€ invoice, you might get lucky and pay nothing. For a 10k€ scope in a big cardboard box I would suspect chances are very high that they will apply the retail price.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2019, 03:29:26 am »
Notification Emails have stopped for me after the first few days after entering. But the browser display works for me in Firefox.

The last notification email I received was on March 4. It seems to have broken or been turned off after that.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2019, 06:58:42 am »
Never received any notification emails too. Oh well. :blah:
I wonder who's collecting them. :wtf:
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2019, 11:41:23 am »
Normally, in Germany, any winnings, whether items ore money, are tax free. So there is the first surprise that many people are not aware of.
This is not entirely true btw. Actually prices are only free of taxes in Germany if they are won by mere luck. If any kind of achievement is involved like winning a quiz show, a beauty contest of even a science award, they are taxed. Besides, indeed I fear that customs is a totally separate matter. Potentially, import sales tax has to be paid for everything >22€ including shipping, no matter if it's a gift or winning. For something smallish with a 0€ invoice, you might get lucky and pay nothing. For a 10k€ scope in a big cardboard box I would suspect chances are very high that they will apply the retail price.

Sounds like a similar approach to the UK. Import taxes are for items brought in to the country from outside the EU. Income tax is paid on earnings above certain thresholds and is separate to Import tax.

If the Import tax is paid on your behalf by the courier, then that can also add a charge. If they have a fixed charge for this, it may not be too bad, but some do charge a percentage of the goods, so that could become a sizeable fee.

Whilst Keysight can't cost the item as 0$, they may be within their rights to cost it as a reduced value,  closer to the manufacturing cost rather than the retail cost, that the Import tax could be applied to. It may be that they cannot ship from within the country as the competition is run from America and therefore the prizes have to be shipped from there.

The main problem of course, is that tax authorities tend to start from the idea that everything is taxable, and you are left to argue that it isn't.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf