Author Topic: Wave 2019 - Over 100 Prizes worth <$375k  (Read 18094 times)

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
Re: Wave 2019 - Over 100 Prizes worth <$375k
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2019, 06:18:10 pm »
I got the impression that when you entered initially, giving your details etc, that you are then entered into the draw each day. After that, if you go back you can re-enter that day for an extra chance to win.

https://blogs.keysight.com/blogs/tech/bench.entry.html/2019/01/12/wave_2019_overview-HU1Q.html

If there is something you are particularly interested, then you can go back to the competition page and add an extra entry for that particular day. So on Monday, I will go back and add another entry as the 120MHz waveform generators are up for grabs, and that is what I am particularly interested in. After that, I am not particularly interested in much else, so won't re-enter.

That is my understanding, but of course, I could be completely wrong.

Kind regards

Online chickenHeadKnob

• Frequent Contributor
  • doofus programus semi-retiredae
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2019, 10:10:39 pm »
Where's all the whining this year? Surely Keysight must have ruined somebody's life via the winner's own country's tax demands?

It's always the Germans  >:D.   As soon as enough Germans have been awarded prizes, (they somehow get a disproportionate share of them), one or more whiners will emerge. 

Offline Ranayna

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2019, 10:45:05 pm »
I would love a reason to whine  ;D
Though i would deny a copy of just the BenchVue Software ;)

But i can understand that people are somewhat miffed about having to pay VAT (and duties?) for a prize.
Normally, in Germany, any winnings, whether items ore money, are tax free. So there is the first surprise that many people are not aware of. And customs of course uses the list price for an item, if there is no actual invoice. Listprice of a DSOX3104T seems to be around 12.500 Euro, so that would already be 2375 Euro VAT, plus additional duties if appicable. More, if shipping is invoiced separately. If shipping is not invoiced, customs might declare a "standard" shipping rate anyway. Plus likely a DHL handling fee.
A 0$ invoice is not a solution, for a brand new expensive scope that might even be declared fraudulent.

Keysight is an international company. They easily could import the scope to any EU location themselves, and ship from there to the winner.

Anyway, rant over  ;D Congrat's to any winners :)

Offline blueskull

• Supporter
  • Banned!
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2019, 10:50:18 pm »
Where's all the whining this year? Surely Keysight must have ruined somebody's life via the winner's own country's tax demands?

That's how I was able to buy a fully loaded MSOX6004A for $9k -- the grand prize winner was too broke to pay the income tax.

Instead of paying $48k*0.25 and makes $0, he now only pays $9k*0.25 and makes $9k.

Maybe in the coming month someone will post a thread titled like "[FS/US] MSOX6004A". Keep an eye on it!

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2019, 01:24:58 am »
Normally, in Germany, any winnings, whether items ore money, are tax free. So there is the first surprise that many people are not aware of.
This is not entirely true btw. Actually prices are only free of taxes in Germany if they are won by mere luck. If any kind of achievement is involved like winning a quiz show, a beauty contest of even a science award, they are taxed. Besides, indeed I fear that customs is a totally separate matter. Potentially, import sales tax has to be paid for everything >22€ including shipping, no matter if it's a gift or winning. For something smallish with a 0€ invoice, you might get lucky and pay nothing. For a 10k€ scope in a big cardboard box I would suspect chances are very high that they will apply the retail price.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2019, 03:29:26 am »
Notification Emails have stopped for me after the first few days after entering. But the browser display works for me in Firefox.

The last notification email I received was on March 4. It seems to have broken or been turned off after that.
I TEA.

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2019, 06:58:42 am »
Never received any notification emails too. Oh well. :blah:
I wonder who's collecting them. :wtf:
Agilent 34465A, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Voltcraft VC 940 and M-Audio Audiophile 192

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2019, 11:41:23 am »
Normally, in Germany, any winnings, whether items ore money, are tax free. So there is the first surprise that many people are not aware of.
This is not entirely true btw. Actually prices are only free of taxes in Germany if they are won by mere luck. If any kind of achievement is involved like winning a quiz show, a beauty contest of even a science award, they are taxed. Besides, indeed I fear that customs is a totally separate matter. Potentially, import sales tax has to be paid for everything >22€ including shipping, no matter if it's a gift or winning. For something smallish with a 0€ invoice, you might get lucky and pay nothing. For a 10k€ scope in a big cardboard box I would suspect chances are very high that they will apply the retail price.

Sounds like a similar approach to the UK. Import taxes are for items brought in to the country from outside the EU. Income tax is paid on earnings above certain thresholds and is separate to Import tax.

If the Import tax is paid on your behalf by the courier, then that can also add a charge. If they have a fixed charge for this, it may not be too bad, but some do charge a percentage of the goods, so that could become a sizeable fee.

Whilst Keysight can't cost the item as 0$, they may be within their rights to cost it as a reduced value,  closer to the manufacturing cost rather than the retail cost, that the Import tax could be applied to. It may be that they cannot ship from within the country as the competition is run from America and therefore the prizes have to be shipped from there.

The main problem of course, is that tax authorities tend to start from the idea that everything is taxable, and you are left to argue that it isn't.

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2019, 12:24:25 pm »
Oh dear. I didn't mean to bring up discussion of various country's tax laws again. Can we just agree that it's not Keysight's fault and it's not Keysight's problem? Either pay what your government has demanded or decline the prize (or maybe not enter).

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2019, 05:19:55 pm »
It is their fault in the sense that they could easily ship the prizes from a local branch. E.g. shipping from anywhere within the European Union would solve the issue for everybody in the EU.
Then again, admittedly this is nothing I personally have to worry about as I never won anything anyway.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Online Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2019, 05:24:47 pm »
I'm still getting confirmation emails.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2019, 06:01:44 pm »
I started getting confirmation emails again, today.
I TEA.

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2019, 06:08:58 pm »
Death & Taxes (well, at least the taxes part)

Rather than rehash what's been hashed, check out what Keysight has done before and what winners encountered:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/contests/wave-2018-(formerly-scope-month)/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/contests/scope-month-2017-megathread/

There may be other threads with additional discussion, but these will get you started.
I TEA.

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2019, 06:12:45 pm »
It is their fault in the sense that they could easily ship the prizes from a local branch. E.g. shipping from anywhere within the European Union would solve the issue for everybody in the EU.

I am reasonably confident that due to the laws on the way competitions are run, they will have to ship the prizes from America, or the country that originated the competition. Keysight aren't alone in this, there are other companies that run worldwide competitions but still ship prizes from America.

Then again, admittedly this is nothing I personally have to worry about as I never won anything anyway.

Well you certainly aren't alone with that theory.

Online Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Frequent Contributor
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2019, 07:28:35 pm »
Regarding VAT/taxes/etc., we've worked it out that these don't hit recipients - something about shipping out of a duty-free Penang entity or something like that. I can't officially guarantee you won't get hit, but we've not had anyone get hit with that to date. There's also potential income-tax or prize-tax laws you may be subject to if you win, but that's between you and your government :).

We fixed the e-mail issue, sorry for the trouble!

And, yes, there's always complainers  :-//

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, blueskull, bitseeker, Jacon, Mr. Scram, salvagedcircuitry

Offline spinnaker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2019, 01:23:06 am »
Reminds me of way back in the early Compaq computer days.   If salespersons sold X amount of product they would get Compag Dollars".    I was just a lowly tech so I never qualified. 

They had to order from a catalog and of course all of the prices were at MSRP.  We had one salesman that would complain, "I can get this VCR at Moe Ginsberg for $150 and here it is for $225, what a ripoff"!   I had to explain to the salesperson that it is free!      I guess he could complin that he is paying tax on $225 as opposed to $150 but still!  ::) 

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2019, 01:24:11 am »
Yeah, math is hard. ::)
I TEA.

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2019, 05:08:15 am »
Just wanted to say thanks for the videos, the new DC load modules for the 6705 look great, although I suspect are only supported in the 6705C, which is a shame since I have a 6705A with a spare slot & they'd make a great upgrade from my 6051A.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 06:20:49 am by LapTop006 »

Online Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2019, 11:51:07 am »
Reminds me of way back in the early Compaq computer days.   If salespersons sold X amount of product they would get Compag Dollars".    I was just a lowly tech so I never qualified. 

They had to order from a catalog and of course all of the prices were at MSRP.  We had one salesman that would complain, "I can get this VCR at Moe Ginsberg for $150 and here it is for $225, what a ripoff"!   I had to explain to the salesperson that it is free!      I guess he could complin that he is paying tax on $225 as opposed to $150 but still!  ::)
That's not exactly free, is it? The Compaq dollars represent a real life value as they can be converted into real life goods. The more expensive the products in the catalogue are, the fewer he will be able to obtain for a given amount of sales which represent real life work.

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2019, 10:50:05 pm »

Hello!

Sorry, but I have some questions about the prizes.
I apologize, but I'm German and therefore almost obligated to be direct, straightforward, rude, rough and mean. Without any beating around the bush, you know?
Just the bad guy, as usual.  >:D  So, here we go:

1. N2140A Passive Probe, 10:1, 200 MHz, 2-Pack
It seems, the probes are only working with infinivision oscilloscopes.What, if the winner doesn´t have such a scope? Or doesn´t have an oscilloscope at all?  :-BROKE

2. BenchVue License
This data aquisiton and proceeding software seems to work only with Keysight (Agilent or HP) test gear.
What, if the winner doesn´t have any of this Keysight test gear?  :(

3. EEsof ADS Simulation Bundle
Without any doubt a very mighty, powerful and sophisticated software bundle. But, is it really somehow useful (or even usable) in any way for an amateur? Or even not useful for some professionals? Somehow I have doubts...  ???

All other prizes (scopes, DMM´s  :-DMM , WaveGen) are just working stand alone. Their purpose and advantage is immediately pretty clear. But the three items above...

Greetings

P.S.: Right now I have sensed a giant disruption in the force. It was like... as if my chances to win anything were crashing on the sudden to sub zero, because of this post...

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2019, 02:51:09 am »
It is marketing. What if you did not have a lab or use for any of the equipment? What's your argument?

I do not see other top tier or any other second or third tier players here. Keysight is doing something different and inciting potential new and rewarding loyal customers.

Other companies are not playing... so enjoy it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 02:58:59 am by metrologist »

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2019, 07:48:46 am »
Why would a passive scope probe not work with any other oscilloscope besides a Keysight unit?

Anyway, its a prize draw, sometimes you win, sometimes you don't and sometimes you win something you don't know what to do with. You either accommodate it or move it on.

There is always the option of not accepting the prize and they will probably draw another winner, or you could donate it to a local makers club, school etc.

Online Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Frequent Contributor
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2019, 04:24:17 pm »
@ProBang2

Those are good questions!

The passive probes should work with just about any standard BNC-connector scope inputs. We generally target the event towards people that would already have some gear. If folks don't we're more than happy to have them join us, but we had to make some decisions there.

BenchVue - kinda true for now. But, we thought it couldn't hurt to add it on as a prize to see what happens.

ADS - this was a bit of an experiment to see what would happen, same philosophy as BenchVue.

And no, you didn't hurt your chances of winning  :phew:. I really appreciate the open dialog and honesty of folks on this forum!

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, ProBang2

Offline Ranayna

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2019, 07:54:55 am »
Daniel, I think your presence here cannot be appreciated enough :)
Sure, you are a "marketing instrument", (sorry if that sounds harsh ;)) but you also try to help when possible.
I would like more companies doing marketing like that.

I especially like that you are not here with an anonymous company account and actually have a name ;)

Offline Squiddaddy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2019, 01:13:34 pm »
Kudos to Daniel from Keysight for being in this forum and participating/listening to user feedback and questions.
I know I am so interested in the triple output power supply, and as soon as I can justify the cost, I may buy one. I sure was hoping I could score one in the contest, but that didn't happen. LOL
It's great to have vendors involved in these forums.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf