Author Topic: Wave 2019 - Over 100 Prizes worth <$375k  (Read 36822 times)

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
Re: Wave 2019 - Over 100 Prizes worth <$375k
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2019, 12:24:25 pm »
Oh dear. I didn't mean to bring up discussion of various country's tax laws again. Can we just agree that it's not Keysight's fault and it's not Keysight's problem? Either pay what your government has demanded or decline the prize (or maybe not enter).

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2019, 05:19:55 pm »
It is their fault in the sense that they could easily ship the prizes from a local branch. E.g. shipping from anywhere within the European Union would solve the issue for everybody in the EU.
Then again, admittedly this is nothing I personally have to worry about as I never won anything anyway.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2019, 05:24:47 pm »
I'm still getting confirmation emails.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2019, 06:01:44 pm »
I started getting confirmation emails again, today.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2019, 06:08:58 pm »
Death & Taxes (well, at least the taxes part)

Rather than rehash what's been hashed, check out what Keysight has done before and what winners encountered:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/contests/wave-2018-(formerly-scope-month)/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/contests/scope-month-2017-megathread/

There may be other threads with additional discussion, but these will get you started.

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2019, 06:12:45 pm »
It is their fault in the sense that they could easily ship the prizes from a local branch. E.g. shipping from anywhere within the European Union would solve the issue for everybody in the EU.

I am reasonably confident that due to the laws on the way competitions are run, they will have to ship the prizes from America, or the country that originated the competition. Keysight aren't alone in this, there are other companies that run worldwide competitions but still ship prizes from America.

Then again, admittedly this is nothing I personally have to worry about as I never won anything anyway.

Well you certainly aren't alone with that theory.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoffTopic starter

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2019, 07:28:35 pm »
Regarding VAT/taxes/etc., we've worked it out that these don't hit recipients - something about shipping out of a duty-free Penang entity or something like that. I can't officially guarantee you won't get hit, but we've not had anyone get hit with that to date. There's also potential income-tax or prize-tax laws you may be subject to if you win, but that's between you and your government :).

We fixed the e-mail issue, sorry for the trouble!

And, yes, there's always complainers  :-//

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, blueskull, bitseeker, Jacon, Mr. Scram, salvagedcircuitry

Offline spinnaker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2019, 01:23:06 am »
Reminds me of way back in the early Compaq computer days.   If salespersons sold X amount of product they would get Compag Dollars".    I was just a lowly tech so I never qualified. 

They had to order from a catalog and of course all of the prices were at MSRP.  We had one salesman that would complain, "I can get this VCR at Moe Ginsberg for $150 and here it is for $225, what a ripoff"!   I had to explain to the salesperson that it is free!      I guess he could complin that he is paying tax on $225 as opposed to $150 but still!  ::) 

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2019, 01:24:11 am »
Yeah, math is hard. ::)

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2019, 05:08:15 am »
Just wanted to say thanks for the videos, the new DC load modules for the 6705 look great, although I suspect are only supported in the 6705C, which is a shame since I have a 6705A with a spare slot & they'd make a great upgrade from my 6051A.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 06:20:49 am by LapTop006 »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2019, 11:51:07 am »
Reminds me of way back in the early Compaq computer days.   If salespersons sold X amount of product they would get Compag Dollars".    I was just a lowly tech so I never qualified. 

They had to order from a catalog and of course all of the prices were at MSRP.  We had one salesman that would complain, "I can get this VCR at Moe Ginsberg for $150 and here it is for $225, what a ripoff"!   I had to explain to the salesperson that it is free!      I guess he could complin that he is paying tax on $225 as opposed to $150 but still!  ::)
That's not exactly free, is it? The Compaq dollars represent a real life value as they can be converted into real life goods. The more expensive the products in the catalogue are, the fewer he will be able to obtain for a given amount of sales which represent real life work.

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2019, 10:50:05 pm »

Hello!

Sorry, but I have some questions about the prizes.
I apologize, but I'm German and therefore almost obligated to be direct, straightforward, rude, rough and mean. Without any beating around the bush, you know?
Just the bad guy, as usual.  >:D  So, here we go:

1. N2140A Passive Probe, 10:1, 200 MHz, 2-Pack
It seems, the probes are only working with infinivision oscilloscopes.What, if the winner doesn´t have such a scope? Or doesn´t have an oscilloscope at all?  :-BROKE

2. BenchVue License
This data aquisiton and proceeding software seems to work only with Keysight (Agilent or HP) test gear.
What, if the winner doesn´t have any of this Keysight test gear?  :(

3. EEsof ADS Simulation Bundle
Without any doubt a very mighty, powerful and sophisticated software bundle. But, is it really somehow useful (or even usable) in any way for an amateur? Or even not useful for some professionals? Somehow I have doubts...  ???

All other prizes (scopes, DMM´s  :-DMM , WaveGen) are just working stand alone. Their purpose and advantage is immediately pretty clear. But the three items above...

Greetings

P.S.: Right now I have sensed a giant disruption in the force. It was like... as if my chances to win anything were crashing on the sudden to sub zero, because of this post...

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2019, 02:51:09 am »
It is marketing. What if you did not have a lab or use for any of the equipment? What's your argument?

I do not see other top tier or any other second or third tier players here. Keysight is doing something different and inciting potential new and rewarding loyal customers.

Other companies are not playing... so enjoy it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 02:58:59 am by metrologist »

Offline threephase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2019, 07:48:46 am »
Why would a passive scope probe not work with any other oscilloscope besides a Keysight unit?

Anyway, its a prize draw, sometimes you win, sometimes you don't and sometimes you win something you don't know what to do with. You either accommodate it or move it on.

There is always the option of not accepting the prize and they will probably draw another winner, or you could donate it to a local makers club, school etc.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2019, 04:24:17 pm »
@ProBang2

Those are good questions!

The passive probes should work with just about any standard BNC-connector scope inputs. We generally target the event towards people that would already have some gear. If folks don't we're more than happy to have them join us, but we had to make some decisions there.

BenchVue - kinda true for now. But, we thought it couldn't hurt to add it on as a prize to see what happens.

ADS - this was a bit of an experiment to see what would happen, same philosophy as BenchVue.

And no, you didn't hurt your chances of winning  :phew:. I really appreciate the open dialog and honesty of folks on this forum!

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, ProBang2

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2019, 07:54:55 am »
Daniel, I think your presence here cannot be appreciated enough :)
Sure, you are a "marketing instrument", (sorry if that sounds harsh ;)) but you also try to help when possible.
I would like more companies doing marketing like that.

I especially like that you are not here with an anonymous company account and actually have a name ;)

Offline Squiddaddy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2019, 01:13:34 pm »
Kudos to Daniel from Keysight for being in this forum and participating/listening to user feedback and questions.
I know I am so interested in the triple output power supply, and as soon as I can justify the cost, I may buy one. I sure was hoping I could score one in the contest, but that didn't happen. LOL
It's great to have vendors involved in these forums.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2019, 03:05:49 pm »
You can do a heck of a lot with the ADS simulation package for RF simulation and optimization, i'd be happy to win one, unless the license has expiry-that would not have value to me. I would also welcome a pair of 200MHz probes as i am updating my EDUX 1002 to 200MHz and they'd come very handy replacement to the stock 70MHz or so probes.

Edit: As to BenchVue - meh, i want knobs.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 03:36:37 pm by Bud »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2019, 05:03:00 pm »
Sure, you are a "marketing instrument", (sorry if that sounds harsh ;)) but you also try to help when possible.

Thanks! I do have an EE degree, but have really enjoyed trying out the marketing thing! I always hated marketing stuff (like a good engineer should  :-DD), but later found out I just hated bad marketing!

Also, my time spent on this forum is ad hoc and not an official mandate from on-high. What can I say, you all make me feel at home :).

The following users thanked this post: blueskull, JPortici

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2019, 09:38:05 pm »
I can't explain why, but for some reason, while reading your response, I was overcome with a mental image and find myself compelled to share it.  I understand that Keysight is a major corporation with customers all over the world but anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline pilotchup

• Supporter
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2019, 10:15:29 pm »

Thanks! I do have an EE degree, but have really enjoyed trying out the marketing thing! I always hated marketing stuff (like a good engineer should  :-DD), but later found out I just hated bad marketing!

Also, my time spent on this forum is ad hoc and not an official mandate from on-high. What can I say, you all make me feel at home :).

Keysight should really value you if they know what's good for 'em :)

It is VERY refreshing to have someone with an EE degree being in marketing.. it's quite profound how much it helps the company's image. I really like the method of taking on a teaching role to explain more complicated features in your instruments and principles in EE measurement - which at the same time is showing off the company's product and acting as effective marketing.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2019, 10:23:03 am »
I always hated marketing stuff (like a good engineer should  :-DD), but later found out I just hated bad marketing!
That is a trait that you have in common with a lot of members here - if not all.

You come across as a kindred spirit and you listen.  This is a positive starting point.

You work at Keysight - and that gives all of us a sort of vicarious satisfaction  :D  - so, of course we want to make you feel at home!

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2019, 08:18:33 pm »
Thanks everyone :).

Also @bsudbrink, that picture is terrifying. It might also be printed off and pinned to my cubicle wall...

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2019, 08:34:32 pm »
Well, my Photoshop-foo is pretty weak.  I have to say I spent a while sifting through all of the photos of you I could find, looking for one that matched the original face, in terms of pupil width, chin to mouth distance, eye to ear distance and looking in the right direction.  Also, I wanted a serious expression (you're always smiling! ^-^).

I think that the reason that it still looks a bit "pasted on" is the lighting.  I just couldn't find one of you anywhere that matched it.  I'm sure there's someone in your art department that could do a better job... just credit me with the concept.  :-+

Good luck with the weather!  Stay warm!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 08:36:54 pm by bsudbrink »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2019, 11:20:53 pm »
Well, my Photoshop-foo is pretty weak.  I have to say I spent a while sifting through all of the photos of you I could find, looking for one that matched the original face, in terms of pupil width, chin to mouth distance, eye to ear distance and looking in the right direction.  Also, I wanted a serious expression (you're always smiling! ^-^).

I think that the reason that it still looks a bit "pasted on" is the lighting.  I just couldn't find one of you anywhere that matched it.  I'm sure there's someone in your art department that could do a better job... just credit me with the concept.  :-+

Good luck with the weather!  Stay warm!
It's the brightness and the saturation. If they're too dissimilar, it'll look like two pictures stuck together. I tweaked the sliders for a few minutes, although it needs a lot of additional finenessing to be very convincing.

The following users thanked this post: bsudbrink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf