Author Topic: WEBINAR:"POWER ELECTRONICS INVENTIONS:HOW TO DO IT !?!"by Professor Slobodan Ćuk  (Read 11905 times)

Offline K_WrzalkaTopic starter

FREE NOVEMBER 6 2021 WEBINAR ANNOUNCEMENT!

Professor Ćuk on How to Invent/Not Invent in Power Electronics!?!

Ever since immigrating to the United States on Feb 29,1972 and getting into Power Electronics I developed a very critical view of Electrical Power Conversion Systems! All the time since then I was asked to explain how I was coming up with my Power Electronics inventions. This Webinar is an answer to this request with HOW TO INVENT IN POWER ELECTRONICS. Unfortunately, as Power Electronics proceeded in the wrong direction all along, this Webinar will also address a companion HOW NOT TO INVENT!

To meet the primary goals of efficiency and scaling and related goals of minimum size and cost, I have postulated that the Power Systems must use the minimum number of components. At that time, it was switches, inductors, and transformers only, as capacitors were used as an added filtering component on output only. On April 1, 1975, I added another component: the capacitor inside the converter to use as energy storage and power transfer component. Hence the Optimum Topology Converter now known as Ćuk converter was born! It reduced four switches to only two and in addition enabled an ideal AC transformer with no additional switches! The guiding idea was that two complementary components, inductor and transformer could transfer power more efficiently and with smaller size than a single inductive energy transfer component! As shown now, filtering inductors of previous basic converters, such as buck, boost, flyback and forward converter with their inevitable DC current bias and resultant air gaps have led to the dramatic limitation of the DC current and power that these converters could handle. This, in turn, led to 100-fold increase in switching frequencies to 1 MHz and more but without any size advantages and yet with much increased losses!

Unfortunately, the Power Electronics industry followed not only this losing path in an attempt to fix the above brute-force DC to DC PWM converter topologies but has gone into an even worse direction of treating switching converters as a signal processing IC technology: more switches, the better it is! This led to proliferation of useless converter topologies such as Switched Tank Capacitors (STC) with many more capacitors and inductors with DC bias and no galvanic isolation capability. The other losing direction was using a multistage buck-converter with 12 buck converters in parallel even though I have shown that a single buck converter alone is bad let alone 12 of them!

TWO DRAMATICALLY OPPOSING CONCEPTS:

DO LOT MORE WITH FEWEST NUMBER OF COMPONENTS vs

DO LOT LESS WITH LOT MORE COMPONENTS!

Webinar registration: https://bit.ly/TESLAco4

Interactive on-line course information and registration at

https://www.onlinecourses.teslaco.com

https://teslaco.com/

Professor Slobodan Ćuk

« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 02:47:14 pm by K_Wrzalka »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf