Author Topic: (relax topic) what's your preferred method to make coffee?  (Read 22779 times)

Offline DiTBhoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: (relax topic) what's your preferred method to make coffee?
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2022, 08:10:42 am »
The first time I went to Amazon to buy a coffee filter, I did not know that several coffee filter sizes were available.

I thought it is only universal ... or one size fits all.

Forget it. No dice. So, I ended up going back home and looked for the manual that came together with my new coffee maker.

My new heatproof glass is a Japanese V60 Drip Decanter. Authentic coffee made stylishly. It's also dishwasher safe, and it's all based on the V60 cone shape, all good points, but ... the manual doesn't say a word (well, it's written in Japanese), and you do not know what type, shape, and size of coffee filters to buy.

Except "buy Hario 02 Filters" (this is the only thing written in English), where "02" means for 1-4 cups, it's only for their paper filters, and ‘Cups’ as defined by the brand are very modest; for reference, from my experience, the V60-02, which is considered the standard size, can comfortably make 600 ml of coffee, though you’ll get a better coffee if you make 300 to 400 ml.

Anyway, when you are starting to become one of the coffee enthusiasts and wanted to explore, or should I say, level up your coffee experience from instant to brewed, then you need to get covered: by doubts!

I do find the chemistry of photolithography fascinating and I'd like to buy stainless steel filter with thousand hundred holes of 0.25 mm, but should I use it directly with the decanter, or should I put the filter inside the dripped inside the neck of the decanter? Mumble .... And which size?!?

Code: [Select]
Plan-A (default set):
.       paper
     \ filter / dripper
    \ \      / /
   \ \ \    / / /
    \ \ \  / / /
     \ \____/ /
      \      /
       |    |
      decanter

Plan-B (experiment#1):
.   stainless steel
    \  filter  /
   \ \        / /
    \ \      / /
     \ \____/ /
      \      /
       |    |
      decanter

Plan-C  (experiment#2):
.     stainless
        steel
     \ filter / dripper
    \ \      / /
   \ \ \    / / /
    \ \ \  / / /
     \ \____/ /
      \      /
       |    |
      decanter

This time it all started with a coffee filter. Forty minutes. Googling on different online stores, only two coffee filters could fit.
  • KINTO SCS Stainless Filter 27624, 2 cups, φ100 x H75 mm: will it fit the dripper?!?
  • KINTO SCS Stainless Filter 27625, 4 cups, φ125 × H95 mm: will it fit directly the decanter neck?!?

We will see  :o :o :o
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 08:19:37 am by DiTBho »
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2022, 01:18:17 pm »
I'd like to buy stainless steel filter with thousand hundred holes of 0.25 mm, but should I use it directly with the decanter, or should I put the filter inside the dripped inside the neck of the decanter?
My Cloer 5548 tea maker uses a stainless steel "filter" to keep the tea leaves in place, with 0.5mm holes at a 1mm pitch pattern.

To ensure flow, it has plastic ridges in the steeper pot to ensure there is room all around the filter vessel.

So, if your dripper is the ridged kind, I would put the filter inside the dripper, so that there is a couple of mm of room on the outside of the filter for water to flow easier through.

And which size?!?
Hario V60/02 filters are conical (without the flat you see in 2 = 102 = 2K filters), with the size designation of 02, and V60 referring to the 60g of ground coffee it can take, I believe.

Hario's own V60/02 metal filter has a built-in dripper, it being double-walled mesh.  It's dimensions are stated as: Height 96mm; Width 148mm; Diameter 123mm.  Unfortunately, I can't tell if those are the outside/dripper measurements, or the inside/filter measurements; I suspect the former.

Interestingly, these filters are unlike the one in my tea maker – which uses a thin perforated steel sheet –: these coffee filters are usually made of stainless steel cloth.  Thus, no photolithography for you, I'm afraid.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2022, 04:21:26 pm »
Thus, no photolithography for you, I'm afraid.  ;D

D'oh  :o

That's the dude behind my Hario's decanter.
(it's all his fault, because he is *the* person who wrote the manual)

The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2022, 06:52:43 pm »
In reality, because it is conical without a flat at the bottom, all you'd need to do is check the apex angle is roughly correct, and the filter you get is large enough.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2022, 12:26:59 pm »
    KINTO SCS Stainless Filter 27625, 4 cups, φ125 × H95 mm: will it fit directly the decanter neck?!?[/li]
    [/list]

yes! Just arrived, it perfectly fit the decanter neck!  :D

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
    • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
    « Reply #105 on: April 11, 2022, 10:27:48 pm »

All y'alls who drink raw coffe make me sick. That muck ain't even good enuf to deserve the 2nd e.    :-DD

mnem
    alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #106 on: April 11, 2022, 10:34:34 pm »
    I once had a thought: "I like coffee.  I like whisky.  I like honey."  So, I mixed them together, thinking I might have discovered an alternative to Irish Coffee.

The particular coffee blend, honey, and whisky, were all excellent when imbibed separately.  When combined, the result tasted exactly like licking an ashtray.
    Substitute Frangelico hazelnut liqueur for the whiskey. Add Heavy Whipping Cream. Makes Kahlua taste like Cerebus' sock water.  :-DD

mnem
    Columbian or die.
    alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #107 on: April 11, 2022, 10:45:35 pm »
    Slightly fluffy but it's all about the taste  ;D

Damn you bean... you got me missing mum-in-law's coffee shop. You got the roaster attachment for your LASER cutting table perfected yet...? :-DD

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #108 on: April 11, 2022, 10:53:46 pm »
    You sound like the kind of person who would be aghast at fashioning a shim for their BMW motorcycle using a bit of aluminium from a Coca Cola can, instead of a Genuine Part from Berlin.

Hehe

No I sound like the kind of person who'd take the mental image of beanflying pulling a sock off to make coffee amusing; and I look like the kind of person who can get a quote tag in the right place.

It used to be that you could trust an Aussie to know when one was indulging in a little friendly piss taking, rather than getting all chippy about it.

Actually, you sound like someone who has not read 'Zen, and the art of motorcycle maintenance'. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_and_the_Art_of_Motorcycle_Maintenance

Quote:
    he knows exactly why a shim cut from an aluminium beer-or coke can will make a perfect solution to the slight looseness of John's handlebars, although John can't accept such defilement of his precious BMW and prefers to leave the handlebars loose, perhaps forever. “I was seeing what the shim meant.” Pirsig patiently explains. “He was seeing what the shim was.”

Actually I read it about 45 years ago.
    Not quite that long ago... :o

*sigh*

Probably due to revisit it; lessons remembered are no less valid than lessons learned anew...

mnem
    https://archive.org/details/ZenAndTheArtOfMotorcycleRepair-RobertPirsig

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #109 on: April 11, 2022, 11:04:22 pm »
    I need a way to acceptably cream coffee thats good that doesn't spoil. My SO and myself are both on a keto diet which eschews a lot of foods.. Half and half my preferred cream only comes in pint size which is a lot of cream.

We have some coconut milk, we've been using that.. Coconut milk is good because it contains MCTs, which are good for your brain.
    Heavy whipping cream is much more Keto-friendly, provided you live somewhere they don't pollute it with copious amounts of carageenan to compensate for ruining the stuff with ultra-pasteurization. *blerk* And at least for me, a couple TBSP is fewer calories than a "almost satisfactory" amount of milk.  :-//

mnem
    *toddles off to do something... else.*

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #110 on: April 18, 2022, 05:02:37 am »
    Here's my ususal.

Set the coffee grinder to something a small amount more course than expresso grind.  Medium-Fine Grind.

Put it into the areo-press and add water from the jug (~90degC).
    I usually just eyeball adding a small amount of tap water to the jug after it boils to drop it back from 100C.

Stir the coffee and water for 1-2 seconds in the areopress.

Wait 10 seconds

Press areo-press down, It will take some force as the grind is small.

Add sugar/milk and enjoy

Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #111 on: April 18, 2022, 02:56:08 pm »
    Here's my ususal.

Set the coffee grinder to something a small amount more course than expresso grind.  Medium-Fine Grind.

Put it into the areo-press and add water from the jug (~90degC).
    I usually just eyeball adding a small amount of tap water to the jug after it boils to drop it back from 100C.

Stir the coffee and water for 1-2 seconds in the areopress.

Wait 10 seconds

Press areo-press down, It will take some force as the grind is small.

Add sugar/milk and enjoy

I do something similar, except using a Bodum Travel Press so I can slurp it in the car,  or while working outside, or in the garage, etc etc and have it stay warm!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #112 on: April 20, 2022, 11:07:19 am »

mnem

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Nominal Animal, DiTBho

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #113 on: April 27, 2022, 01:24:04 pm »

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-Brands-Percolator-Stainless/dp/B00C4VVLI8/

A new percolator for my dad; same as the one we've had for several years now. This one has all the features I consider "non-negotiable". Dad is staying with us now, and he drinks decaf. I just couldn't bear the thought of contaminating our pot with that wretched stuff. *blerk*

mnem
    « Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 01:29:35 pm by mnementh »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #114 on: April 27, 2022, 02:28:14 pm »
    I have my dad's percolator from 40+ years ago - sits on the stove for heating. Fired it up a couple of years ago to refresh some pleasant memories from my youth and it was utterly foul :(

Probably the coffee, though. Percolators needs a quite coarse grind and fresh, of course. Not being consummate consumers of same the stuff we had laying around was, er, non-optimal.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, DiTBho

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #115 on: April 27, 2022, 02:38:59 pm »
    ... Dad is staying with us now, and he drinks decaf. I just couldn't bear the thought of contaminating our pot with that wretched stuff. *blerk*
    Wretched stuff is an excellent description for decaff.  Read: https://www.britannica.com/story/how-is-coffee-decaffeinated
    and weep.

TLDR: water based decaffeination of whole beans is *SLOW* and *EXPENSIVE* so the odds are your dad's decaff beans were soaked in either ethyl acetate (also commonly used in paint thinners) or methylene chloride (the 'good' but highly toxic paint stripper). 

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #116 on: April 27, 2022, 02:54:47 pm »

Not my first rodeo. ;)

This will do until I can find decaf whole bean coffee at a local grocery. While I'd love to get dad into a decaf Columbian brew, I'm not sure if I'm ready to take on the Karma of supporting people who would do that to Columbian coffee, even the lesser grades...  :o

I draw the line at grinding fresh in my home... I've done it and I refuse to deal with the mess anymore. Ground at the store before I take it home is as far down that rabbit-hole as I'm willing to go again.  :P

mnem
    I have a life, and a wife, and things to get done.   :-//
    « Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 03:00:25 pm by mnementh »

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #117 on: April 27, 2022, 04:27:52 pm »
    What ground coffee/water ratio are people using?
    https://coffeelikeapro.com/coffee-to-water-ratio-calculator website says 14g/237mL/8oz. US, which is close to Starbucks 2 tbsp/10g/180mL/6oz.
    But I use 1/2 that, around 30g/L in a French Press so I wondered if that is weak, it doesn't taste that way though.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #118 on: April 28, 2022, 01:53:16 am »
    One scoop for me, and one scoop for thee... and one more for the pot.  >:D

mnem
    "Clunk-tsssst, rattle-rattle, all morning long... tsssst-clunk, rattle-rattle, sing a perc song..."

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
    • Toys so very many Toys.
    « Reply #119 on: April 28, 2022, 02:05:29 am »
    Typically brew ratios for Coffee are from 15-18:1 Water to Beans ('Golden Ratio'). Generally I brew 15:1 (adjust the grind and brew time for results) but for some more delicate beans I drop that toward 20:1. The Ratio is not a RULE but a guideline.

Coffee Cupping is generally done at 18:1 (SCA standard) but it is a slurp and spit looking for defects and individual flavour points rather than an enjoyable brew to drink. To heavy here and you will tend to mask out the more subtle flavours and notes of the beans you are slurping.

With French Press in particular the bean mass stays in contact with the water for the entire brew process unlike a drip filter brew so you can in theory get more out of a given lot of bean by extending the brew before plunging. Also a finer grind while it can give you a little sludge in the cup gives you a lot more surface area to more fully extract the beans. To much time will lead to over extraction and you will tend to draw out some of the more bitter flavanoids in the bean so shorter time (2 1/2-3 minutes) and more beans (15:1) is where I like to head in most cases.

So have a play with grind size, time and the ratio (only one at a time) and see if you get a result you like better.
    Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #120 on: April 28, 2022, 06:05:27 pm »
    Well then, I'm not using enough coffee.  The grinder uses a timer and I'm finding the mass it grinds up varies quite a bit, mostly due to how full the hopper is. About a 30% difference between a hi-lo hopper and the same fixed time.

I've been preferring lower water temps for the press, pour around 85°C and brew a bit longer, maybe its cooled down to 65°C when I'm drinking it.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
    • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
      • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
    « Reply #121 on: April 28, 2022, 06:34:31 pm »
    About 16 grams of fresh-ground beans, typically a light roast. Brewed in a filter, with only little time for blooming, 300ml of water heated to 90°C, directly into a 250ml cup. I drink without milk, no need if it's good coffee.

But most of the time I drink espresso, or double-shot capuccino with steam-foamed full milk.
    Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
    • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
      • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
    « Reply #122 on: April 28, 2022, 06:36:58 pm »
    What ground coffee/water ratio are people using?
    https://coffeelikeapro.com/coffee-to-water-ratio-calculator website says 14g/237mL/8oz. US, which is close to Starbucks 2 tbsp/10g/180mL/6oz.
    But I use 1/2 that, around 30g/L in a French Press so I wondered if that is weak, it doesn't taste that way though.

For a filter-brewed coffee I'd be at 55-60 grams per liter. No idea how that translates to a press.
    Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #123 on: April 28, 2022, 08:39:25 pm »
    Moka is my favourite, but I often use a French press because it's easier. I always boil the water using an electric kettle, before pouring in to the Moka to speed things up.

When I'm at work, I use instant coffee and Options brand instant hot chocolate, with a dash of milk.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
    « Reply #124 on: April 29, 2022, 07:12:27 pm »
    Usually I just hold up the cup for the waitress to see. Bowls of cream and sugar usually come in one hand with a steaming pot of coffee in the other. If you see bubbles in your cup, it means good luck.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
    Smf