Author Topic: Quick [~10 minute] wonders  (Read 6536 times)

Offline DrGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
Quick [~10 minute] wonders
« on: July 21, 2021, 11:34:43 pm »
I like eating more than I like cooking and cooking more than I like cleaning up. Consequently, and perhaps too often, I make a no more than 10-min from start to mouth dish, like this one.

Get the best and sharpest Cheddar you can find (I used to get this Canadian Black Diamond stuff that was awesome). Use some really good crusty bread. Paprika (hot if you want), garlic powder, oregano. Place in the microwave (25 sec or so) or better, under the broiler for a minute or two.

Anybody else have a 10 min or less dish that I can steal?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 02:48:59 pm by DrG »
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: 10 minute wonders
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 05:07:56 am »
Omelette's are pretty good for a quick meal, very healthy too. Whisk a few eggs and throw in whatever leftover vegetables or meats you have in the fridge. Yummy. Great by itself or on toast with a generous splash of Tabasco or Sriracha sauce.

My typical omelette combo is usually capsicum/bell pepper, onion (of any kind, even spring onion/shallots are good), mushrooms, tomato, bacon/chicken/beef/kangaroo (or all of the above) all diced/chopped and throw in with the egg and some grated cheese (of any kind). The cheese goes all golden brown and delicious in the pan. Usually omelettes at my house are as a result of "pizza night" the night before where all the ingredients didn't get used up.

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 06:12:06 am »
I usually go with fried eggs and toast. Or ramen egged up in various ways.

Offline DrGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 02:01:10 am »

Ok, a bit of a stretch to say "cooking", but the 10 min or less part is there. If you have never tried Peanut Butter and bananas, it is a great combination.

Offline RazzMaTazz

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 03:57:44 pm »
Omelette's are pretty good for a quick meal, very healthy too. Whisk a few eggs and throw in whatever leftover vegetables or meats you have in the fridge. Yummy. Great by itself or on toast with a generous splash of Tabasco or Sriracha sauce.

My typical omelette combo is usually capsicum/bell pepper, onion (of any kind, even spring onion/shallots are good), mushrooms, tomato, bacon/chicken/beef/kangaroo (or all of the above) all diced/chopped and throw in with the egg and some grated cheese (of any kind). The cheese goes all golden brown and delicious in the pan. Usually omelettes at my house are as a result of "pizza night" the night before where all the ingredients didn't get used up.

I always keep my eggs in the fridge and they last weeks after best before date. But, I will only use the eggs in Omelettes due to that circumstance. Obviously, I give anything a sniff and an eyeball like I would looking at anything that needs fixing.

I'm kind of bland with omelttes. Garlic cloves with German Salami from Aldi(2 slices) and they freeze well the slices. Usually, I eat omelettes when looking after myself properly.

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 06:12:35 pm »
I like Sunnyside up with some hot chili powder, salt and ground pepper sprinkled. Paprika is not hot. Prefer chili powder. Everyone at home laughs at me!! :-[

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 04:11:59 am »
a hot dog with a italian sasuage seems superior to regular hot dogs

the best real 10 minute wonders are honestly deep fryer stuff.. hard to beat that speed and the taste even with frozen food is pretty good

yogurt with whatever is good also (on the sweet side) and takes seconds

6 pack of greek yogurt and a thing of berries makes alot of 1 minute snacks. i recommend vanilla and flavor with blue berries
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 04:15:44 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 07:01:51 am »
I like Sunnyside up with some hot chili powder, salt and ground pepper sprinkled. Paprika is not hot. Prefer chili powder. Everyone at home laughs at me!! :-[

Nope! I'm with you! Paprika is only flavour, not heat. Chilli makes everything better, whether it be fresh, sauce, flakes or in powdered form.

The following users thanked this post: andy3055

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 09:54:55 pm »
At last! Someone thinks like me  ^-^

Offline DrGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 01:38:49 am »

Nope! I'm with you! Paprika is only flavour, not heat. Chilli makes everything better, whether it be fresh, sauce, flakes or in powdered form.

There is plenty of hot paprika - I think I remember this one (on the left) from my youth...

of course some might not agree that it is really 'hot'.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 01:41:12 am by DrG »

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 02:38:44 am »
I looked it up. Apparently, it can get close to Cayenne pepper in terms of hotness. But in general, most paprika is used for color and in fact some are supposed to add some sweetness to Hungarian dishes.

I once bit into some black pepper seeds and almost took off! It was a whole bunch of them that was in the curry. This happened back home when I went on holiday and my host warned me. I am sure he noticed the change in my face color!

There are so many varieties and I have not sampled even 1% of them I think.

Offline DrGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Quick [~10 minute] wonders
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2021, 02:55:38 pm »
BTC (bacon, tomato and cheese).

Fry the bacon and drain on paper towels. Dispose of the rendered bacon fat and use the other side of the paper towels to wipe down the pan.
Use the same pan to "grill" the bread and cheese (good quality sharp cheddar here).
Add a couple slices of tomato.

Pickled jalapeƱo works well on this. I had none (a new batch is on the way but not yet ripe). In this case, I used fresh basil and a splash of balsamic

The following users thanked this post: Halcyon

Offline DrGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 06:07:06 pm »
I have to face it - 10 min is not a lot of time and even though I started with an open-face melted cheese sandwich, I have to mention the classic toasted cheese:

Without apology, I show it with ketchup because I like it that way. Sure, you can use the finest and sharpest white cheddar and so on, but just plain old brick cheddar works and is, somehow, more authentic (as long as it is real cheese). The melted cheese should not be dripping onto the pan - no matter how good it looks in a commercial. Cheese slice placement is the key....and yes, you have to butter that bread so it gets the right toastiness - one flip only and no spatula squashing - are we uncivilized? :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 06:09:31 pm by DrG »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2021, 08:00:46 pm »
Did sweet potato in the microwave, 6 minutes on high, leave to cool for another 5 minutes, then slice in half, and put on butter and black pepper. Often have not bothered with the butter or pepper either, just the plain whole sweet potato, though the golden kind is a different taste than the regular purple one. Just bought 9kg on special at the supermarket down the road this evening, so got food for the rest of the year.

Offline DrGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2021, 11:20:30 pm »
Did sweet potato in the microwave, 6 minutes on high, leave to cool for another 5 minutes, then slice in half, and put on butter and black pepper. Often have not bothered with the butter or pepper either, just the plain whole sweet potato, though the golden kind is a different taste than the regular purple one. Just bought 9kg on special at the supermarket down the road this evening, so got food for the rest of the year.

I don't know sweet potatoes as I should and get told what I am calling sweet potato is a yam and so on. I only have seen "regular" purple potatoes. I do know that I love authentic sweet potato pie, which is a holiday favorite here and is very different (and much tastier) than the usual pumpkin pie.

Wish you had a picture for my reference.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2021, 12:06:25 pm »
Locally we tend to mainly get the Orange coloured Sweet Potato but other types too depending on location and whos growing them. The Yam is sometimes a misnamed Sweet Potato but strictly is is a different thing and a different texture and flavour (rougher and dryer).

Locally we will soon be back into proper Tomato season so this is a stunt Bruschetta from a year or so back. 5 or 6 types of local Organic Tomato's from Nick and a local Buffalo Fetta with some Caramelized onions on a couple of slabs of my Bread. Drizzle with a little good Olive oil and munch.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 12:35:49 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline DrGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2021, 03:39:27 pm »
That Bruschetta looks delicious and amped up. Completely different than I have made and usually eat it, but I wanted a bite immediately!

Offline DrGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2021, 04:18:07 pm »
A slight variant of the toasted cheese sammie...

Prepare the bacon first. Note proper placement of the cheddar.

Final result is splendid, in my view (and stomach).

Offline DrGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2021, 05:51:33 pm »
The Meatball Sammie

Mix up some Sriracha and mayo and slather liberally on the bread.

Assembly: Sliced meatballs with sauce on one half, 'Swiss' cheese and onions on the other.

Place under the broiler for a few minutes.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 05:53:59 pm by DrG »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2021, 02:57:02 am »
For those of us who partake in the thing that is Pork based goodness and in particular at this time when there tends to be a Glut post Christmas of it in Ham or Roasted form a 30 second zingy sauce for a Sandwich in the shack for lunch today. I was going to have Salad with it but the Apple is fruit and therefore makes it 'healthy'  >:D

Apple puree or better make your own but these keep on the shelf for a long time. Cracked Black Pepper and a good squirt of Sriracha stir and put on top of your sandwich add a bit more Pepper here too if you like.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2022, 07:09:49 am »
Beer Snacks do we need a thread.  :-//

Sweet Potato Frys. Not a recipe just a tasty way to use up a art used one and here because we were chatting about them a while ago and I had the fryer out yesterday. Most of it is going into Roast Sweet Potato and Bacon Gnocchi but that might be for another thread ;) Roast Sweet potato and Fetta works well on a Bruschetta type of thing too.

Slice fairly thin so Frys rather than Chips. I like to preseason a little so a Moroccan Blend here but Pick a flavour you like. 190C fresh oil and about 3 minutes should do it. Open a Beer drain well and enjoy.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf