Author Topic: instant ramen mods?  (Read 6084 times)

Online coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
instant ramen mods?
« on: March 01, 2022, 10:34:14 am »
So now that spring has arrived and some of us might be tired from finally starting to do things outside... we reach for ramen noodles if we are too tired to cook, or simply are a little bored from cooking if it was used to get through the winter. Only using the water kettle and a bowl and being done in 3 minutes without even a microwave has an appeal to it.

What are good ramen noodle hacks ?

Cheesy ramen bits (time sensitive):
So if you prepare ramen from the square packages (not the instant cups, which have their own merit), you have the option of breaking them into chunks. I found one thing that worked well is to crack up the ramen block into maybe 6 pieces, flood with water so they are like ice bergs that are partially submerged, and then blanket with grated extra sharp cheddar (you want a cheese that melts into the ramen but stays intact to act like a fake fat layer in meat, not too liquidy, so I would say the 'extra sharp' is important in this recipe if you want a 'meat stew' simulant). The cheddar actually adheres to the ramen like a coating, it quickly melts on the top while the noddles absorb water. If you enjoy eating something a little chewy, they are great so long you don't let it sit for too long. it's kind of a unique time sensitive food that I think gives the satisfaction of meat, since its somewhat chewy/fiberous (like strands of muscle) but also fatty.. it reminds me of lamb for some reason. You toss the cheese shreds on top in immediately after pouring the water in a cereal bowl. Don't pour too much though, because having a large excess cheese in the bowl is a little funky to eat, unless you have a slice of bread or something to clean it up at the end. It's all about the process.. hot sauce on top makes it better though

If you prepare ramen so its not very liquidy and put cheese in it, its good, but you don't get that 'meaty' satisfaction that can end hunger IMO... this makes a simple dish more like pasta with meatballs then just pasta with sauce. It might even benefit from partially dehydrated cheese and also hitting it with a real strong flame broiler from up top to brown it a bit.. but I think it would make the cheese melt too much..
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 10:42:21 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: instant ramen mods?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 02:20:40 pm »
If you want Mac & Cheese, make Mac and Cheese, (even if you use an 'instant' mix) don't try to 'fusion cuisine' bastardize Ramen.

OTOH ramen* bowls/pots *can* be enhanced by selective additions without offending the sacred Kami of Ramen, further than your existing transgression of possessing instant ramen in the first place!

• Chopped spring onions added before the boiling water goes well with most flavors.
  • Mushrooms and/or Pak Choi can be sliced, drizzled with sesame oil and microwaved for one minute.  This can be done in the bottom of the pot or bowl if you lift out the ramen block, and do so *before* opening the soup sachet.
  • Got any leftover roast meat, or (preferably slow cooked) barbecue in the fridge?  Thinly sliced roast or thicker sliced or pulled barbecue can be laid on top of the ramen as a garnish, and allowed to warm through from the boiling water.  You may need to zap thicker sliced or chunky pulled meat briefly in the microwave to preheat it.

* although  technically similar to Ramen, I'm *NOT* including westernized pot noodles and instant noodle packs, as the choice of supplements is very dependent on the cuisine they claim to be flavored from.  Sliced thin air-dried or smoked sausage may well be appropriate, e.g. Kabanos or finger-thin Peperoni

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 03:11:42 am »
Only thing I got, is that it's good, to reduce that powder flavor-mix, maybe salt content in there, but I often just use 1/3 pack of the seasoning pack.

(Groceries today, up now to $34 per big bag, average...)

Online fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 03:34:36 am »
Back when we lived on home-made chili and instant ramen, I would make "Octopus Soup" for our kids.  Take a couple of hot dogs, cut them in half, slice the cut ends into 4, 6, or 8 "tentacles" (4 is easy, 8 is pretty tricky) and throw them into the boiling ramen noodles.  We usually used the chicken flavor powder.  The tentacles would curl up very nicely.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 06:17:01 am »
* although  technically similar to Ramen, I'm *NOT* including westernized pot noodles and instant noodle packs, as the choice of supplements is very dependent on the cuisine they claim to be flavored from.

I'm glad someone else cares enough to notice this.  I was born in Japan and later moved to US.  What typical grocery stores carry as ramen noodles are nothing like similarly named Japanese domestic variety.  It's probably unfair to compare because they are SO cheap (6 packs for $1.29US?)  Even though it was decades ago, even back then in Japan, they weren't that inexpensive.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 05:29:09 am »
You can actually make a decent "Mac&Cheese" (kid friendly) from unseasoned "instant ramen" packages by cooking and draining the noodles and adding some butter and "american cheese."  In between "less water" and "shorter cooking time", it's a good 10min+ faster than "Kraft Mac&Cheese", and serving size can be adjusted.

For adult Ramen, I like to add a hardboiled egg that has been marinated in soy and mirin...

I also use Ramen noodles as a base for "spicy peanut noodles" (peanut butter, soy, siracha, green onions.)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 05:31:57 am by westfw »

Online coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2023, 08:12:06 am »
god this stuff is so delicious  :o

while probobly unhealthy, this is one of those foods that IMO gets rid of the line between rich and poor. as good as a fine steak if you did not have it for a while. Its so simple and delicious IDK if you can even improve it by being a rich food snob.

So I bought a case of them and been eating it once every few days.

The most simple  thing makes it better, add like a 1/8 inch thick slice of butter from the standard sticks.

I also tried this beef concentrate. I bet it would work instead of the packet, it comes in a jar near the bullion.. a teaspoon works wonders.

soy sauce too. Franks red hot powder is good too (not as vinegary as the sauce).

Experiments that come to mind
-duck fat
-table spoon of heavy cream
-roasted garlic
-bay leaf
-allspice kernel
-bacon fat (from smoked uncured bacon)

'and for the initial recipe, adding a egg would help make it more meat substitute like.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 08:16:18 am by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf