Author Topic: Bacon and maple syrup. Food nivarna!  (Read 3203 times)

Offline wizard69Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Bacon and maple syrup. Food nivarna!
« on: April 22, 2021, 04:00:36 am »
Guys this is a recent discovery of mine, which is probably already known to the wider world, but bacon and maple syrup go together like peanut butter and jelly.

We are talking American bacon here just for context.    But what i do is this: get some bacon frying in the pan, when the bacon starts to get a bit translucent I drizzle on some maple syrup across each strip and finish off the bacon in the pan.   Drain on paper towels as is the norm but remove from the towels rather quickly.

This ends up being an out of the world experience.   I'm not sure if this is something practiced buy others but I was surprised at how good the end result was.

Offline WattsThat

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Bacon and maple syrup. Food nivarna!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 04:12:54 am »
Or breakfast sausage, links or patties, drizzled with (real) maple syrup. Washed down with a good cup of black coffee. Pig parts and maple work well together :clap:

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 09:09:53 am »
I've heard about it, but have never been game to try it.

For the Aussies, it's like Vegemite and cheese. Some people swear that it's amazing, however I can't bring myself to try it. I like both things, but in my mind, I can't imagine them going together too well.

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 11:27:32 am »
How did you not know this?!  ;)

Yes, bacon and maple syrup are delicious together, especially when plated with a stack of chocolate chip pancakes (oh my clogged arteries!).

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 12:30:30 pm »
it's like Vegemite and cheese. Some people swear that it's amazing, however I can't bring myself to try it. I like both things, but in my mind, I can't imagine them going together too well.
not so sure about the Vegemite but Marmite and toasted cheese IS the food of the gods.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 12:57:15 pm »

+1 for bacon, maple syrup, marmite, and cheese!    OMG what a breakfast....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 01:11:54 am »
Or breakfast sausage, links or patties, drizzled with (real) maple syrup. Washed down with a good cup of black coffee. Pig parts and maple work well together :clap:

I think the trick here is real Maple syrup.    For years I would buy Maple flavored bacon but this isn't the same thing at all, totally different experience.   The Maple syrup seems to react with the bacon to turn it into a soft candy like treat.   i discovered this when the local store apparently switches suppliers and the quality of the Maple flavored bacon went down.   So I thought why not and grabbed the bottle of Maple syrup and applied while it was frying in the pan.   Totally new result for me.

Honestly I shouldn't be eating bacon at all but this just puts me over the top.   Instead of a couple of slices I end up eating 6 or more.    The only warning I have beyond this might kill you is that it does make clean up a lot harder as you now have some hard to scrap off residue.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 01:14:56 am »
How did you not know this?!  ;)

Yes, bacon and maple syrup are delicious together, especially when plated with a stack of chocolate chip pancakes (oh my clogged arteries!).

I've been a Maple syrup guy for years but this is a different thing all together.    The trick comes in pouring the syrup on while the bacon is cooking.    I've been buying "Maple flavored" bacon for years but this is a very different result.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 01:20:17 am »
Well just realize we are talking American style bacon here with real Maple syrup.   I'm not sure if you have an equivalent down under.   I only need to drive a few miles across the border into Canada and order bacon and then get something entirely different.

Quote from: Halcyon link=toic=276744.msg3554546#msg3554546 date=1619082593
I've heard about it, but have never been game to try it.

For the Aussies, it's like Vegemite and cheese. Some people swear that it's amazing, however I can't bring myself to try it. I like both things, but in my mind, I can't imagine them going together too well.

It can't hurt to try.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 09:11:01 pm »
FYI, candied bacon is easiest baked.  Lay down strips on foil on a cookie sheet, drizzle, bake for 10 minutes, flip, drizzle more if you like, bake another 10 minutes -- times give or take oven temp, bacon size, crispness and all that of course!

Smoke flavor is particularly water-soluble -- which may seem kind of odd as flavors go, or given its association with fatty things like bacon and barbecue -- and so is sugar, and so are one in the other.  So the sugar traps the smoke flavor and makes it so delightfully, devilishly rich and flavorful and sweet, and greasy, and let's not forget the salt from the cured meat. ;D

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 09:43:49 pm »
This is clearly some kind of American thing. The concept of putting sweet and savory together is beyond my comprehension. It's almost as horrifying as honey-roasted peanuts, which I find all but inedible.

The following users thanked this post: ucanel

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 11:02:06 pm »
This is clearly some kind of American thing. The concept of putting sweet and savory together is beyond my comprehension. It's almost as horrifying as honey-roasted peanuts, which I find all but inedible.

Ketchup on a hot dog?

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 11:16:25 pm »
Yep it's good. When I was a kid I tried to keep all my food in separate piles on the plate. When mom gave me pancakes with syrup and sausage I eventually got the syrup on the sausage and discovered it's GOOD!  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2021, 11:32:25 pm »
People who don't like syrup on sausage, are like people who put on socks and shoes one foot at a time, instead of both socks, then both shoes.

Tim

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2021, 11:44:23 pm »
Ketchup on a hot dog?

Not usually. Isn't that heresy? Mustard goes with sausages. Ketchup goes with fries.

But also, Ketchup in the UK is different from the traditional USA version. UK Ketchup is more like the "Simply Heinz" version over here. Sugar is third in the ingredients list after tomatoes and vinegar. Something with more vinegar than sugar is probably not "sweet". And tomatoes themselves have quite a high acidity.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2021, 11:57:00 pm »
People who don't like syrup on sausage, are like people who put on socks and shoes one foot at a time, instead of both socks, then both shoes.

The difficulty with analogies, curtesy of Dave Allen:

The Pope is arguing with an atheist.

Says the Pope to the atheist: "You are like a man who is totally blindfolded, in a dark room, looking for a black cat that is not there."

Ah, says the atheist, "Then you and I have a lot in common."

"What do you mean?" asks the Pope.

Well, says the atheist, "You are also like a man who is blindfolded, in a totally dark room, looking for a black cat that isn't there."

"The only difference is that you have found it."

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, SilverSolder

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 12:02:01 am »
:-DD

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2021, 12:25:27 am »
Ketchup on a hot dog?

Not usually. Isn't that heresy? Mustard goes with sausages. Ketchup goes with fries.

But also, Ketchup in the UK is different from the traditional USA version. UK Ketchup is more like the "Simply Heinz" version over here. Sugar is third in the ingredients list after tomatoes and vinegar. Something with more vinegar than sugar is probably not "sweet". And tomatoes themselves have quite a high acidity.

The ingredient list on a bottle of regular Heinz ketchup is as follows: tomato concentrate from red ripe tomatoes, distilled vinegar, high-fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, salt, spice, onion powder, natural flavoring. 

True, high fructose corn syrup comes in third.

But hang on, plain old corn syrup is the fourth ingredient!

Aren’t they both considered sugar?  ... 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2021, 10:57:01 pm »
Now this is most interesting, I never heard of this approach.   Also "candied Bacon" is probably the best description of what your end up with.    Those candied Bacon have a texture and flavor all their own.   The transformation was shocking to me.

FYI, candied bacon is easiest baked.  Lay down strips on foil on a cookie sheet, drizzle, bake for 10 minutes, flip, drizzle more if you like, bake another 10 minutes -- times give or take oven temp, bacon size, crispness and all that of course!

Smoke flavor is particularly water-soluble -- which may seem kind of odd as flavors go, or given its association with fatty things like bacon and barbecue -- and so is sugar, and so are one in the other.  So the sugar traps the smoke flavor and makes it so delightfully, devilishly rich and flavorful and sweet, and greasy, and let's not forget the salt from the cured meat. ;D

Tim

This gives me an idea, I might try this on the grill if it ever stops raining around here.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2021, 10:59:54 pm »
Ketchup on a hot dog?

The ingredient list on a bottle of regular Heinz ketchup is as follows: tomato concentrate from red ripe tomatoes, distilled vinegar, high-fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, salt, spice, onion powder, natural flavoring. 

True, high fructose corn syrup comes in third.

But hang on, plain old corn syrup is the fourth ingredient!

Aren’t they both considered sugar?  ...

Yep plenty of sugar in Heinz Ketchup.   This is why you end up with that sticky coating when spread across a meatloaf before baking.   

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2021, 11:22:43 pm »
This gives me an idea, I might try this on the grill if it ever stops raining around here.

Be very careful, direct heat will char sugar in no time!  Nice low fire, probably in a row off to the side, will do.  Can even add extra smoke, mwahaha.

Oh, a reminder that you can make your own, too -- liquid smoke that is, which like I said is more or less a solution in water:
https://youtu.be/R3JetOoEngs?t=547

Tim

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf