Author Topic: best condiment mixes/mods?  (Read 2574 times)

Online coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
best condiment mixes/mods?
« on: January 17, 2022, 12:46:13 pm »
You can combine ready made sauces to make novel things.

One to get started is pepper ketchup, which goes well with fries and eggs. Simply mix cracked pepper into ketchup. This can probobly be improved by toasting the peppercorns before addition.

Another good one is to mix french onion soup mix into mayonnaise sour cream, which makes for a good chip dip. This can be improved by making sure the sour cream is warm and letting it sit for a little while, it is not particularly good if its cold.

What are your favorites?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 12:51:35 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: best condiment mixes/mods?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 05:21:51 pm »
Of course, anything can be mixed.  They all get mixed in your stomach anyway.

As for a mixture that actually affects performance on the plate, I like the mayo/butter/mustard mix used for the toasted cheese in the tomato soup thread.  It's spreadable and gives a very nice finish to the stove toasted bread.  Adjust mustard according to taste.  Great on Rubens too.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 07:19:37 pm »
Mayo, certainly ripe for additions.  Mustard*, horseradish**, sriracha, chipotle, ketchup ("fry sauce" more or less), etc.  Most of these are available as products already.  Note that mayo is normally made with a bit of mustard, albeit not much; and creamy horseradish is basically a flavored mayo (check the label, similar ingredients!).

I find I don't even use ketchup much anymore.  Mainly with fried potatoes.  So I don't have a lot of opinion on it, alas.

Sweet Thai chili sauce is a common sight in my 'fridge, having a nice flavor while being as sweet as ketchup, less sour.  Don't know that I mix it with a lot though.

Onions and sour cream yeah, you basically get ranch dressing, an American staple; lots of aromatic/cheesy things can be added to further enhance it.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 09:50:10 pm »
Note that mayo is normally made with a bit of mustard, albeit not much; and creamy horseradish is basically a flavored mayo (check the label, similar ingredients!).

Hey Tim,
The horseradish (various local brands) I buy is horseradish and vinegar.  No eggs.  My mayo (Hellman) is eggs and a little vinegar, no mustard.  Salt, sugar, thickeners, and preservatives may be mentioned, of course.  I do look at labels.

Still, adding a bit of mayo to facilitate spreadability and "fullness" to pan toasted bread was new to me.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 09:52:18 pm by jpanhalt »

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 12:40:49 am »
Yeah, plain old prepared horseradish is just that.  That's why I said creamy style, e.g.
https://www.beavertonfoods.com/product/inglehoffer-cream-style-horseradish-3-75-oz/
not sure if you were familiar with it. :)

Mind, when I say mustard as a mayo ingredient, I mean the spice, not (necessarily) the prepared kind.  It might not show up on the label.  Uh, I forget if they have to name that one, or if it's just another "natural spices and flavorings"?  Certainly a regular ingredient in homemade recipes.

I'm still out on whether mayo actually helps grilled sandwiches; maybe I'm not using it right, or using the wrong bread?  The fact that it's got some water-soluble stuff in it (i.e., egg, sugar), means it dries out leaving a residue on the outside, which might be rather sticky both for the pan and in the hand.  And on the inside, it just interferes with the cheese-bread bond.  So, I do it from time to time but I can't say I've found perfection that way.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 04:02:09 am »
Next time you make a sandwich or burger, try this:

(Adjust ratios as required or add your own bits. If you like it super peppery, add more pepper)

200g Mayonnaise
110g Tomato Sauce/Ketchup
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce.
1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
3 garlic cloves (minced)
25g (about 1/3 cup) of finely grated parmesan or parmigiano reggiano cheese
1/2 teaspoon of freshly chopped/ground green peppercorns (optional)
A few drops of truffle infused olive oil (optional)

Mix together well or whiz using a stick blender to get everything combined.

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 07:02:12 pm »
Mix Mayo with dry Wasabi powder and let it mature for a few hours in fridge.

Really good on tuna burger, which is a grilled tuna steak on a bun with lettuce and tomato and whatever.....

You can buy Wasabi Mayo but I think homemade stuff is better.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf