Author Topic: Better microwave Baked Potato  (Read 3347 times)

Offline GreggDTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Better microwave Baked Potato
« on: June 26, 2021, 05:33:33 pm »
Baked potato.
The very best comes from being buried in camp fire coals if removed at a good time.

Second best is in a oven at 450F (220C) but it is our summer with high humidity and I am only one person.

Potatoes in a microwave, well better than having one chucked at my head.
I _oogled for the umpteenth time again and all results were all the same, terrible. (Poke holes, five minuets and volia a lump).
VoilĂ  "definition" to express satisfaction or approval, or to suggest an appearance as if by magic. Or not!

My new better way.
I use a Zip-N-Steam microwave bag. I use this one bag every day have only use two bags in five years as live steam and a little care keeps them clean.
Poke holes with a fork, place in bag, microwave high ~2 minuets or 30 seconds past the bag inflating.
Then 20 minuets on the very lowest setting, (is WARM on my Panasonic 1100W).
Massage the potato to break up the inside then split open.
Makes the fluffiest microwave potato you will ever have (from a microwave) and even the skin is tender.

Asparagus and broccoli are fantastic in the bag. About 2 minuets.

Never thought I would post in the cooking section.

GreggD

Offline amwales

• Regular Contributor
Re: Better microwave Baked Potato
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 05:53:45 pm »
I always wrap mine in some paper towels after poking holes in the the potato, time is dependant on the size of the potato and he power of the microwave, but can be 8-10minute at 700watts. Careful when you unwrap it, steamy and hot. I guess the important part is keeping  the steam in, which I guess is what's happening with your bag.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 05:57:37 pm »
I poke holes in mine, microwave it for 6 minutes then stick it in the oven for 20 mins. Comes out amazing.

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 07:44:14 pm »
I poke holes in mine, microwave it for 6 minutes then stick it in the oven for 20 mins. Comes out amazing.

I do similar, microwave until cooked through, finish off in toaster oven (air fryer would probably work too).

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 08:05:36 pm »
Apparently, this is how you do baked potatoes:

1. Wash, dry and prick all over, place on a wire tray (else they'll go soggy underneath) and shove in a pre-heated oven at 220C (lots F) for 25mins.

1233752-0

2. Remove and coat with melted butter then sprinkle with salt and black pepper (top and bottom). Show back in the oven at 180C for ~45mins. Maybe 50.

1233754-1

3. Done.

1233756-2

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Labrat101

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf