General > Cooking

Can I cook Mexican Chorizo in an egg steamer?

(1/2) > >>

xrunner:
I'm not good at cooking. So I have this Bella egg steamer that I use to cook scrambled eggs for breakfast, works very well, just add cheese or anything you want. The eggs go in the black cup and that goes in the steamer along with water in the bottom, then the lid goes on. The more water you pour in the bottom the longer it cooks.

I want to make eggs with Mexican chorizo which has to be cooked. I do not know if the chorizo will be cooked enough if I simply add it to the eggs and expect it to be done when the bell chimes (when the eggs are done). Can I cook the chorizo first by steam, then add the eggs and start a new cycle again at that point? How long would I steam the chorizo? Couldn't find any answers for this specific question.

I know I could cook the chorizo in a pan but I'm trying to do it all with this appliance. Any thoughts?

nightfire:
I would advocate against it. Chorizo and similar meat/sausage types need a heat of above 140 Celsius to get the maillard reaction going, gicing it the characteristical roast flavours and get the fat combined with the surroundings.
Boiling at 100 celsius will make the fat drip down and render you with dry and not nice tasting meat.
But yes, you could pre-roast the Chorizo slices in a pan/skillet, and then mix up with the rest of the eggs, as you would do it in a pan- there the chorizo is cooked first, pushed aside, and then the scrambled eggs are put in the pan and then are mixed together on lower heat.

PartialDischarge:
I don't see why it wouldn't work, wine sausages are steamed also.

--- Quote from: nightfire on February 04, 2023, 04:09:55 pm ---I would advocate against it. Chorizo and similar meat/sausage types need a heat of above 140 Celsius to get the maillard reaction going,

--- End quote ---

Not entirely true, Mexican chorizo is raw meat, but Spanish chorizo is cured and is meant to be eaten uncooked. In the US probably its more common to find the former and in Germany the latter. In Spain "chorizo" by itself always means cured meat, and probably what you'll find across Europe.

xrunner:
Thanks guys for your input.

--- Quote from: PartialDischarge on February 04, 2023, 04:27:28 pm ---I don't see why it wouldn't work, wine sausages are steamed also.
Not entirely true, Mexican chorizo is raw meat, but Spanish chorizo is cured and is meant to be eaten uncooked. In the US probably its more common to find the former and in Germany the latter. In Spain "chorizo" by itself always means cured meat, and probably what you'll find across Europe.

--- End quote ---

Yea it's Mexican chorizo which is raw meat which is supposed to be cooked to 71 c or 160 F. Since the inside of the chamber is steam (100 c or 212 F) I was thinking it should work. I did check the temp of the eggs through a hole while cooking and (as if there was any doubt) they were just a bit lower in temp than the steam, and that temp is a lot higher than what you need to cook meat to. So if I crumble the chorizo and steam it for 5 to 10 minutes it should be cooked well. Then after that I'd pour in two eggs scrambled and just do the normal egg time with more water.

xrunner:
Follow-up

Yes it worked for me. I cooked the chorizo first to make sure it would be cooked. It gets to nearly the temp of the steam in no time so there isn't an issue at all. After that I mixed in the eggs and cooked all that. Turned out very nice and tasty.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version