Author Topic: Cheap and easy tray baked "fried rice"  (Read 2075 times)

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
Cheap and easy tray baked "fried rice"
« on: March 22, 2021, 08:46:20 am »
This is a recipe I've used a few times now. You can basically adapt it to whatever you have in the fridge or pantry. This is my version. You'll need a baking tray about 20 x 30 cm in size.

Ingredients:
300g (uncooked) brown rice (you can use any rice you have on-hand, Jasmine or Basmati work well too)
2 cloves garlic (crushed/minced)
2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger (whole fresh ginger freezes well, just grate off what you need)
625 ml boiling water
2 carrots, coarsely grated (I don't bother peeling them)
75g frozen peas
75g frozen corn kernels
100g chopped bacon or ham (if you have leftover chicken, you could throw this in too)
3 shallots (spring onion), white/light green parts finely chopped, dark green bits sliced diagonally for serving)
2-ish tablespoons of soy sauce or tamari (I just free-pour)
4-5 eggs (depending on how much you like egg)
Sriracha (to serve)
Olive oil
Fresh chilli (optional; finely chopped)

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180°C (fan forced) or 200°C conventional. Place the uncooked rice into a baking tray (about 20 x 30cm in size). Add the ginger, garlic (and fresh chilli if using) and pour in the oil and boiling water. Cover the tray tightly with aluminium foil and bake for 45 minutes.

2. Uncover the dish and stir through the carrot, corn, peas, bacon/ham, light part of the shallots and soy sauce. Once again, cover tightly with foil and bake for another 10 minutes.

3. Remove the tray from the oven and discard the foil. Make 4-5 shallow indentations into the rice using the back or a large spoon or measuring cup. Crack each of the eggs into a small bowl and lightly whisk one-by-one. Pour one egg into each of the indentations. Return the tray to the oven and cook, uncovered, for about 5-7 minutes or until the egg is just set.

4. Roughly chop the egg whilst in the tray using a knife and then gently stir everything together. You should get "ribbons" of egg through the rice (it's fine if some bits are still a bit runny). Serve with the dark green bits of the shallot and drizzle with sriracha and some extra soy/tamari.

Notes:
You can basically add or omit any vegetables you like. If I have leftover broccoli or broccolini, I'll chop that up fairly finely (stems and all) and throw it in at step 2. If you want it super spicy, add more chilli.
Snow peas or sugar snap peas in their shells work well too, just slice them up before adding.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 08:55:12 am by Halcyon »

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Cheap and easy tray baked "fried rice"
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 08:01:54 pm »
Any pics? Some of these sound good, but a pic would help me.
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
Re: Cheap and easy tray baked "fried rice"
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 03:08:56 am »
Any pics? Some of these sound good, but a pic would help me.

I'll post some over the weekend.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf