Author Topic: Recipe collection: Chip Dips  (Read 14444 times)

Offline coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
Recipe collection: Chip Dips
« on: July 04, 2021, 07:39:09 am »
I am a big fan of various chips, and I am wondering if anyone has any good dip recipes. Salasas, guacamoles, quesos, humus etc

One simple one I am fond of making is mixing french onion seasoning packets with sour cream, very simple but it makes a good dip and its easy to make small portions that you can modify with things like pepper sauce. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 04:43:39 am by Halcyon »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: chip dips?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 07:26:20 am »
I love layered dip recipes with corn chips. This is one I do on occasion (you can scale up for parties and gatherings).

Shopping List:
400g can refried beans
300ml sour cream
250g cream cheese
5ml lemon juice (just give a lemon a good squeeze)
2 avocados (reasonably ripe)
60g coarsely grated tasty or cheddar cheese
2 spring onions, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
Sliced black olives
35g taco seasoning
Chilli paste/sauce (optional)

1. In a suitable dish, evenly spread the refried beans then add a layer of the chilli sauce/paste to taste (optional).

2. In a separate bowl, mix together the sour cream and taco seasoning then spread this on top of your beans.

3. In another bowl, mix together the cream cheese, lemon juice and both avocados. Mix well until everything is well combined and smooth. Spread this over the sour cream layer.

4. Top the entire thing with grated cheese, then with the spring onions, olives and tomato. Nom with corn chips.

If you want it to be more "healthy" you can substitute the cream cheese and sour cream with a light variety or alternatively some plain Greek yoghurt instead of sour cream.

The following users thanked this post: Caitlin555

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 07:32:34 am »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwi_onion_dip

A staple of every good Kiwi's BBQ
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: 5U4GB

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 09:21:49 pm »
I love layered dip recipes with corn chips. This is one I do on occasion (you can scale up for parties and gatherings).

This is the variant I make.

1) 1/2 to 2/3 can of refried beans smeared on bottom of a deep plate, I recommend the ones that are like tomato paste, meaning high blending amount. You want a nice even layer, so its like troweling concrete. The plain non spicy ones is what I normally use, but if you need to substitute a milder cheese (i.e. mozzerella), then the 'spicy' refried beans work better.

2) thin layer of sour cream smeared on top of the refried beans layer (use silicone spatula). The sour cream seems to spread on the refried beans well, but not so much on the guacamole.

3) 1-2 haas avacados turned into guacamole (simple smooth version), a tiny bit of regular tobasco, lime juice, cilantro (preferably paste) and a spoon or two of mayonnaise, smeared on top of re fried beans layer after being mixed to a fine consistency. *I don't recommend going heavy in the additions to this layer, you want it to taste like avacado without garlic, onion, black pepper etc. I use only maybe 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of tobasco in this guacamole. 1-2 drops of habanaero tobasco is enough* Spoon this on and then compact it down by beating with a spoon like you are doing gravel before stone work

4) layer of shredded and chopped sharp cheddar cheese (the cheese strands should be no longer then 0.5cm on average, shred + food processor grind works. It should be kinda pourable, the idea being the chip should be able to push through the layer to scoop it up like gravel. Or you can shred the cheese long way to make long strands on a coarse grater and chop it up with a knife like you are doing chives. I guess I would say you want the chopped cheese to look like finely chopped chives, but not powdered, but a little bit of very fine particles helps because of step 5.

5) finely diced tomato, you can mix it with a bit of salt and let it drain in a collander for 30 min-1 hr, so the tomato does not make things soggy. The cheese is finely chopped, so that any juice that drips from the tomato should get absorbed in the cheese sponge on the previous layer. If you want, this is where you can add some fine black pepper, mixed with the finely chopped tomato. So in this step, the more firm less watery tomatoes work better then ripe tomatoes.

6) thin slices of black olives, drain them well, they should be pretty dry.

7) finely chopped chives

Mixing layers 5-6 together is acceptable, but layer 7 should be on top for garnish, but I prefer them unmixed and just layered.

This is assembled and left in a refrigerator for an hour or two so it compacts, and you want robust corn chips so you can scoop it out. When its cooled down and set you can actually kinda cut it like a cake slices and plate for people with a bowl of chips, but its a little messy. I recommend giving it 30 minutes after being plated in room temperature, the ingredients, particularly the cheese, tomato and avacado taste better when not cold... but I do not recommend eating it warm. if you have low quality corn chips this mix won't be too good unless you scoop it out with a fork. You want corn chips with sharp geometry, or baked pita that is cut into wedges, the scoops are not great for this recipe (they are best for liquidy salsa).

« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 09:36:57 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 11:24:14 pm »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwi_onion_dip

A staple of every good Kiwi's BBQ

OP: "One simple one I am fond of making is mixing french onion seasoning packets with sour cream"

Sour cream vs reduced cream, but whatever.

https://static.chipdip.ru/images/shops/moscow-gilyarovskogo-39/b_gil0_v5.jpg

Offline Caitlin555

Re: Recipe collection: Chip Dips
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 01:18:38 pm »
This sounds so nice, going to give it a try!

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 06:52:34 am »
This is the variant I make.

[Exotic NASA space dip instructions removed]

And this is why the Kiwi dip is so popular:

• Dump reduced cream into bowl
  • Stir in onion soup packet
  • Leave in fridge for a bit

At a pinch you can even leave out the last step.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 09:13:25 am »
One essential part missed here!

Add a little lemon juice or vinegar (preferably white, but malt is ok) when you're mixing the soup powder into the reduced cream.

Even 15 or 20 minutes in the fridge is much much better than 0 minutes. Or freezer if you're short on time :-)

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2023, 10:12:42 am »
I've made it both with and without vinegar, the latter because I simply forgot to add it a couple of times, and not really noticed much difference.  That is, you can tell there's no vinegar in one of the two, but it's not really a worse, or better for that matter, taste.

Oh, one other thing, although it's being presented as a chip dip the way I've always had it is with sticks of carrot, cucumber, paprika, or whatever, so to augment oograh rather than fried potatoes.

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2023, 10:22:31 am »
The one dip that makes it to any feast in our house is really simple:

A deep plate with

- crème fraîche at the bottom
- a layer of sweet chili sauce
- on top of that a layer of freshly cut cilantro. A lot..

Then use plain, salted Corn chips to dip in. Guaranteed hit.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2023, 10:45:07 am »
Except of course with the poor souls who think coriander tastes like washing their mouth with soap (apparently).

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2023, 11:01:25 am »
Except of course with the poor souls who think coriander tastes like washing their mouth with soap (apparently).

It's real, about 15%-20% of the population have a gene, probably OR6A2, that makes coriander taste like soap to them, and not just a small amount but an overpowering taste since they're particularly sensitive to the aldehydes in coriander.  If you ever encounter someone with this and feed them your dip, you'll know about it.

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2023, 05:55:21 pm »

It's real, about 15%-20% of the population have a gene, probably OR6A2, that makes coriander taste like soap to them, and not just a small amount but an overpowering taste since they're particularly sensitive to the aldehydes in coriander.  If you ever encounter someone with this and feed them your dip, you'll know about it.

Yeah, I know about that. I suspect I have another deficiency; I really, REALLY like coriander. I eat it like it were veggies  ;D

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2023, 08:17:15 am »
I am wondering what happens if you put dried cheese crumbles into sour cream to make a chip dip with out 'fresh' cheese.

i.e. the 100% cheddar puffs. I don't like them too much in a salad or soup as they are intended for because the flavor is strong (their ok to put like 2-3 of the little pucks into a bowl of soup but use it sparingly). IDK how they make it, its like a foam cheddar cheese. I don't mean cheese puffs like cheetos.

So I crumbled up a handful of cheese puffs using a wooden spoon into a 1/4 cup of sour cream with a bit of tobasco sauce. Its OK. Kind of sour. It says that its baked cheddar cheese with yellow anatto color. IMO the taste is OK.

It might be better to powder it totally. I thought it might be a bit like the french onion soup mixes, but the sour cream is over powering the flavor of the cheese, even when gravelous. I wonder how to improve this dish. I think it needs some sweet but sweet dips are hard (only like the addition of sweet corn but that does not seem right in sour cream).

I think the solution might be onion powder. The next batch i will dry mix dried onion, onion powder, and cheddar cheese baked puffs and then mix that with sour cream. When just mixed it poorly in a bowl it improved the flavor. I guess it would be considered cheesey french onion soup kind of. I think its good when you don't want the actual cheese (a 'clean' food without molten cheese).

What I am thinking too is I need to get my hands on freeze dried caramalized onion (french fried).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 08:31:12 am by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf