General > Cooking

coffee

<< < (6/12) > >>

djacobow:

--- Quote from: cybermaus on October 08, 2021, 03:10:29 pm ---
--- Quote ---All the water and grounds start out together, but when you "press" you force the column of almost coffee through the grounds
--- End quote ---
So the paper instead of metal roster is a (minor) change, but how does above description differ from a description of the french press?

--- End quote ---

A french press is completely an infusion device. The coffee grounds and water hang out together. You wait for it to become coffee, then push down to separate the grounds from the liquor, and you drink that. What the aeropress is doing is a little different, because you are pushing the water through a "puck" of coffee grounds. The water is in contact with the beans for less time. It is the difference between infusion and percolation.

The difference in taste has to do with the different compounds in the beans and how quickly they can be dissolved into the water. With an infusion brew as you wait to dissolve the harder-to-dissolve compounds, you get much more of the easier to dissolve compounds. With the percolation, you get a different profile because you're not waiting for the harder to dissolve compounds at all.

The aeropress isn't really a percolation brewer, though. It's more of a hybrid, where you can sort of decide yourself how much infusion and how much percolation you want, based on how long you wait before pressing and how fast you press.

Another difference with the aeropress is that you generally use finer ground coffee than you would use with a french press, so you are exposing more of the bean surface area, getting a strong cup per unit of beans.

Finally, yeah, the paper filter is different, as paper tends to block the oils from getting into your cup entirely. This makes for a "cleaner" tasting cup, though some will also say "less body."

LoveLaika:
I thought about getting a Chemex, but after seeing the prices of the filters used for it, I was quickly turned off.

AnasMalas:

--- Quote from: djacobow on September 17, 2021, 05:47:44 am ---for milk drinks, frothing milk using the microwave and a handheld frother.

--- End quote ---

I myself have fallen down the rabbit hole of chasing good coffee... but im also a student who cant afford even a basic espresso machine. Instead I use Nespresso and I just cover up its taste with milk, which ive gotten pretty good at foaming (btw, Corto is one of exactly 3 Nespresso capsules I can even swallow, Costa Classic is another one, but I digress)

My secret to perfect frothed milk is this:
https://www.ikea.com/jo/en/p/egentlig-coffee-tea-maker-double-walled-clear-glass-80361823/

This magical thing has no metal once you remove the plunger, so I can place it directly in the microwave at 700 W with 200 ml of full-fat (3.25%) milk for 80 to 100 seconds (depending on what type of foam I want that day. If you want a hotter cup with harder foam, heat the milk up more), and its size is perfect for one large cup (or three small cups if you have company)

When the microwave beeps, the preheated cup already has the shot of espresso in it. Take the plunger and put it in. Do two or three rapid full length plunges to introduce air to the milk. The more full length plunges, the more foam you make and the harder the foam comes out, so dont over do it. After the 2/3 full plunges youll see that the milk has risen in volume, now move the plunger within the milk, being careful not to go too high and add more air into the mix. This now smoothens the air inside the milk giving it a very velvety texture, just like what you expect from good steamed milk. Pull the plunger all the way up and swirl the milk before removing it. If you did all that right, you can even do some poor latte art. The milk doesnt come out very hot, but I like that more anyway. (heat the milk to boiling if you want to create insulation foam out of your milk. Ask me how I know)

Method TL;DR: Heat, plunge fully, plunge partially, swirl, enjoy

james_s:
I sometimes wish I liked coffee because I think some of the machines used to make it are fascinating. I worked on a commercial espresso machine once that was imported from Italy and it was a really impressive contraption. Also I live in the greater Seattle area where not liking coffee is practically sacrilege. Alas I cannot stand the stuff, I like the smell, probably because it reminds me of my grandmother's place when I was a kid but the taste is just vile.

beanflying:
Resident addict checking in. To the Left of the Bench is my little 1kg roaster and to the Right is the three Group Lever machine and grinder.

My TEA collection is small by comparison  >:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version