Off Topic Hobbies > Cooking

coffee

<< < (10/12) > >>

Siwastaja:
Regarding coffee:

vk6zgo:
This does all sound a bit like "audiophile" levels of enthusiasm! ;D

The first espresso coffee I ever tried was in the late 1950s at a shop in what they now call "Northbridge" in Perth, WA.

It was a Cappuccino, made with a huge machine manufactured by Gaggia in Italy.

Interestingly, their version did not top the coffee with cocoa powder, but with cinnamon sugar, & was delicious!
Mentioning this to others, usually resulted in a "you're dreaming" reaction, but when I had a coffee machine, that's how I made it.

After a while, though, I thought, maybe I had "false memories", but in the early 2000s, we ordered cappuccino in Bali, & on arrival, they were topped with cinnamon sugar, so I was vindicated, at least as far as knowing it was a real option.

A bit further "off topic", that original shop had Cassatas made on the premises, which were the best I ever tasted!
The funny thing, even the factory made ones have disappeared from the market!

If you aren't worried about your weight, (& at 13, I didn't "give a stuff") a good quality Cassata is the perfect accompaniment to a really good coffee! ;D ;D

Siwastaja:
Finnish coffee culture: quantity over quality. I like that.

rfclown:
My daughter gave me some coffee for Christmas. It is a light roast, and these days I make espresso drinks and prefer a dark roast for that... So I pulled out the popcorn popper that I used to roast coffee in (modified with a light dimmer in-line with the main heating coil to control the heat) back when I drank mostly drip coffee (for which I prefer a medium roast). I didn't know if you could re-roast coffee, but the experiment was a success. It smelled fantastic roasting it. When roasting green beans, the initial odor (at least in my experience using a popper) isn't that great. I roast outside because of that. With this coffee, from the start it smelled great, and finished smelling awesome. First try was a success, so today I did another batch. Have to give it time to settle before drinking it (out-gassing, or whatever it is. you'd think it would be best right after roasting, but it isn't)

beanflying:
If anyone wants to play with some roasting then this guide attached below I put together several years ago might help. Ask away if you have other questions.

With the reroasting of beans likely you have baked them and or damaged the lightly roasted bean created in part by the mallard process of the first roast. Depending on how dark you took the reroast (Italian or darker) you will have produced a charcoal like overbearing taste profile damaging or destroying the oils and flavonoids ('should be' the good tasting bits). Warning nerdy science stuff in link :) https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/what-is-the-maillard-reaction-and-why-is-it-important/

Typically pulling a roast of green beans at the first hints of 'second crack' is a good first place while you get a feel for it and before that allowing 3-4 minutes from the 'first crack' to that point. Third wave hipsters will disagree with this and so will old school Italians so I would get a  :horse: depending on the setting. Roasting the beans to the 'correct or best' point for what they are and the intended brew process is important.

My 'typical' commercial Espresso blend is roasted to just on the first part of second crack while my filter or brewed coffee roasted will be well under that.

There is no right or wrong here but if you enjoy the result is all that matters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version