Author Topic: coffee  (Read 8465 times)

Offline rfclown

• Frequent Contributor
Re: coffee
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2022, 03:11:43 am »
What I called medium roast (what I liked for drip) I was stopping just at the onset of the second crack. I liked that result. When I went beyond that, the flavor seemed to go down and it just seemed burnt. But for espresso, I prefer a darker roast and never figured out how to do it without destoying the beans. I don't know how people do the darker roast (like Starbuck's espresso, Italian, and French roast) without ruining the beans. I like Starbucks, so that's what I use now for espresso drinks. I never tried any other method besides the popcorn popper. When I first tried, the popper I had roasted REALLY fast, so I put the dimmer on it to tone it down.

edit. Just read your roasting write up. I have probably been roasting too fast. Never looked into the proper time, or played with slowing it down more. I adjusted to a point where what I roasted tasted as good as the roasted beans from the coffee shop that I bought my green beans from. But like I said, when I tried to make espresso from anything I did, I didn't like it as well as Starbucks, so I quit roasting.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 03:27:01 am by rfclown »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2022, 03:46:08 am »
For Drip or Filter brews it is fairly common with Hipsters or Wannabe Hipsters like me ;) to bring the over all time down to 10-12 minutes and finish the Roasts not long after first crack. This really starts to work with some of the more floral/fruity varietals and origins. The juggle is still giving the bean time to develop the flavours without pushing it so far you start to lose them in this case.

Espresso roasting to a more fully flavoured and bold result the time between FC and SC is important. At First Crack the beans go exothermic and you need either a short sharp reduction in power or a blast of air or both to kick the profile down against what the beans are doing. Then you can add some more power back in and re adjust the airflow when the ramp you want is established.

Graph below has dual thermocouple in my Roaster drum. Blue is what is called ET (Environmental Temp) and it sits above the bean mass in the air, BT (Bean Temp) sits well inside the moving bean mass. So if you look in and around FC you will see a rise starting in the ET, likely I had already cut 20-25% of the power before FC and would have been pulsing the airflow to get it down to the slower ramp that is desirable after FC.

The lower more wiggly result is the Rate of Rise in Temperature and you can see the change I am forcing in and around FC. The more faded lines are from an earlier roast I was happy with so generally I use that as something to follow in future for that same bean for the same result.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: rfclown

Offline rfclown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2022, 06:34:08 pm »
This is really good information. Thank you. Before I started drinking espresso I liked to try different origins. My #1 goto became Guatemala antigua. I liked Kona, but not the price. My other favorites were Indonesian coffees: Samatra, Java. Not a fan of African coffee. But it was fun trying different things. One problem is that I am the only coffee drinker in the house and most places want to sell you a pound of anything. I drip a single cup at a time with a Melita thing (or do french press, but not usually). I got into roasting because even if I bought a pound of green, I could roast just a small amount (which was all my popper did anyway). So I could have a stash of many varieties (unroasted), but nothing going stale. I was buying beans mail order from California. A coffee shop opened nearby, single owner, new to the business, had one of those big beautiful commercial machines. He would sell me quarter pounds which helped me try lots of things. When he found out that I had started roasting at home he asked me where I got my beans and how much they cost. When I told him, he thought for a moment, then told me that he'd sell me green beans for $4 off the price per pound roasted. From then on I bought my green beans from him. He is gone, and I'm not roasting anymore.

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2022, 12:18:06 pm »
Best coffee i had till now:

Vietnamese coffee from " Saigon Bird Coffee" during my holiday there.

Still here in germany really tasty "Trung Nguyen No.1" with Robusta beans :-)

Offline mongoF

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2022, 05:15:18 pm »
So long as a nice light roast single origin, no blends or ‘dark roasts’ blleeeggh. Cigarette ash.

Atkinsons of Lancaster
Red Bank Roasters – Coniston

European-
Drop
Koppi
The barn
Belleville
A few months ago I purchased this expresso machine https://productz.com/en/jura-e8/p/Ke54n and I would recommend it to every coffee lover. It's so easy to use and it makes perfect coffee.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 07:09:56 pm by mongoF »

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2022, 02:20:27 pm »
 I just treated myself to the Philips  "LatteGo"  being a Coffee only person . Tried many ways all good but more complicated for 1 eye open mornings .
 But I must admit this is the best No brainier for the first Cup of perfect coffee in the morning   :popcorn:
Hold cup press button ..

& being all self contained sits on the bedside cabinet . Coffee in Bed .
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 02:27:42 pm by Labrat101 »
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf