Author Topic: Cooking: Anyone found a can opener built to last with ballbearing's and o-rings.  (Read 3601 times)

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
@dunkemhigh
I agree on that can opener.  I was going to mention it earlier, but the discussion seemed fixated on openers our grandmothers or great grandmothers used.  It takes awhile to get used to, as it doesn't grip the can like the others.

One thing in addition that I like is the top of the can can't fall into the contents.  Mine is a Farberware brand, but BB&Beyond has similar looking devices.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName, SilverSolder

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor

Yes, the "decapitating" can openers are superior.

There are some cans (very few) that won't work with them, though.

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
I have had the same problem finding a tough and reliable can opener.  No specific one stays in production for long so it is random whether the next will work well no matter how good it looks.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
No specific one stays in production for long so it is random whether the next will work

That's one of the reasons I like the type I posted earlier - it lasts a loooong time so there should never be a next one.

We went through a period of trying all sorts of can openers. I had an early lid-producing type that wore out, and I would happily have settled for the old sort shown here if I could've found one that didn't wear and get loose or blunt or whatever. But none every lasted that long so I was forever on the lookout for better. The GoodGrips one I got was extraordinarily expensive when I saw it (for a can opener, even the decapitating type) but I was intrigued so gave it a whirl and never looked back.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf