General > Cooking

dehydration?

(1/5) > >>

coppercone2:
I managed to make OK beef jerky in an air fryer with a dehydrator button, by hanging it on the stuff that came with it. Not that much meat fit in the machine but it was ok, filet mignon scraps from making steaks.

A soy sauce, brown sugar, onion powder and garlic marinade was made. I vacuum sealed it in a bag with the meat scraps, it did break down the emulsion that formed from blending the marinade, but vacuum duration was insufficient to fully degas the bag after 20  seconds, a small pocket of air remained. I figure that the dissolved oxygen in the marinade would oxidize the meat. Next time I will use the vacuum blender to prepare the marinade so there is less guess work on the vacuum sealer on time. If you put too long a vacuum time it boils over in the bag and then does not seal properly in the chamber vac. Vacuum blended slurries are much easier to time. I wish my vacuum sealer had a override button to trigger the sealing operation rather then just a stop operation button.

The cook duration was 145F for 11 hours, which was too long. I sampled it at 4 hours and it was pretty good but I ended up going to sleep.

It seems worth while to make this from larger scraps when cutting steaks, especially without dedicated dehydrating equipment. Since it was scraps from sinew removal, improving quality would have required periodic monitoring to remove smaller pieces.

Low temperature cooked bacon is good, idk if you can call it a jerky, kind of. IDK if it stores well, I made it in the oven before.

this is really broad

but good beef jerky is expensive, however it did take 4 large filet mignon roundish bar stock? to get maybe 14 decently hefty beef jerky chunks from scrap. However this was suprizingly easy, next time I process meat, I might properly cut some beef jerky strips instead of a few steaks.

It does smell some, but its not a aroma that is as intoxicating as bread or roast meat during cooking.

jpanhalt:
Pasteurization at 60°C (140°F) only kills vegetative bacteria.  It does not sterilize, and probably most important, it doesn't kill spores.  Be careful with long term storage.

coppercone2:
yeah it was gone within 6 hours but I read you need to heat it to a higher temp for  brief period of time. And I did do 145F

storing it IDK, I think it would be fine in the freezer though? I heard the long term processing degrade the quality of the food. Since I am not looking for a doomsday stockpile I think I will be alright.

you think the quality would be higher if you vacuum seal it in the freezer or if you do the extra heating step?

How about heating them in the marinade? Because I vacuum seal them with the marinade, it would be easy to throw it into the sous vide cooker for a bit.

jpanhalt:
Pasteurization and sterilization are far more effective under moist conditions than dry.  That's one reason steam autoclaves (e.g., 121°C/15 minutes) are used.  Dry sterilization temperature is much higher.  Your food is moist.  Drying itself, particularly in the presence of protein or even just agar, is not very effective at killing infectious agents.  One way to store them long term is by lyophilization and sealing under vacuum.

Subsequent storage in a freezer will help.  -20°C is more effective than the temperature in the freezer compartment of most home refrigerators. Chest freezers can reach that temperature.  Suboptimal freezing can actually decrease stability as the water crystallizes out and other agents involved in degradation are concentrated.  One can easily see that effect on analytes stored in seum in a warmer freezer.

Vacuum sealing in plastic will reduce freezer burn and frost.  And of course, freezing reduces or stops microbial growth.

coppercone2:
hey how about a steam oven ? I got the phillips or something steam oven. It has a pump that squirts a bit of water into it once in a while. I mean it does not like puff out condensation but its enough to increase the thermal transfer by alot. It cooks food faster and it kinda comes out soggy (good for rejuvinating old pizza crust and bread)

But, I read that vacuum marinating meat is the way to go, so you might as well do it in the bag. Unless you have one of those vacuum tumble marinators, then you lose the bag.

I don't utilize that oven enough, but it was only 40$ + some panel beating and electronics repairs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version