Author Topic: Egg, chips and beans (kind of)  (Read 4454 times)

Offline PlainNameTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Egg, chips and beans (kind of)
« on: August 17, 2021, 09:38:52 pm »
This recipe was prompted by DrG's minimal beans and tomatoes dish a while back. Things kind of got carried away, though... It's pretty simple to make, hard to get wrong and, apart from the simmering time, quick and easy to prep/cook.

Ingredients

300g beans
Trim and chop to halves or thirds - you can leave them long if you want but everyone I tried this on preferred them short. 300g is a rough measure - that's the size of the bag at the local supermarket, but I've also used 2x250g and no-one complained!
1246981-0

3x 400ml Chopped tomatoes + garlic

Use tinned or whatever you can get or prefer. Use of don't use garlic - I think it improves matters, but your choice. You can throw actual garlic in with the onions if you want; our local shop just happens to have tomatoes with garlic already mixed, and I'm lazy. If you use straight canned tomatoes you might want to add a teaspoon of sugar to take the edge off.
1246985-1

2 onions, medium to large
Oh, go on, make them large. There's a lot of beans, a lot of tomatoes, you need a lot of these too. Simples.
Chop, dice, slice as you prefer.
1246989-2

Eggs, 1 per serving
We usually go with two eggs (one each) and the rest of the beans lasts a couple or three days. For more mouths just add more eggs.

Baked potatoes, 1 per serving
Essentially something to put the beans on, and soak up the juice. We like 'em (recipe is elsewhere in this section) but feel free to use sourdough or whatever takes your fancy.
1246993-3

Cheese to taste
A nice mature cheddar, grated, adds something. Mozzarella is fine if strings is the preference - I just find it a bit tasteless.

Condiments
Salt and pepper to taste. You're probably looking at a bit over a teaspoon of salt for this one.

The following users thanked this post: Halcyon, bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Egg, chips and beans (kind of)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 09:56:59 pm »
Method

Good glug of oil in a large frying pan.
1247005-0

Fry the onions until translucent. If you're adding real garlic you want to have added it just before this point.
1247009-1

Throw in the beans and stir, then add tomatoes.
1247013-2

Bring to a bubble then turn down and simmer with the lid on.
1247017-3

cont...

[edit: forgot the tomatoes]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 02:53:34 pm by dunkemhigh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139, DrG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 09:58:35 pm »
...cont

Leave for an hour. Yep, that is 60 minutes. Actually, you might want to let them be for 75 minutes or so - I usually get these going at the same time the potatoes go in the oven. These are not going to be crunchy!

A couple of minutes before serving break in the eggs and - important! - put the lid back on. Sprinkle some cheese around just for the hell of it.
1247021-0

They are ready when the white is actually white and the yolk is not so anaemic-looking. Ideally the yolks will be just runny, but bear in mind that these will still cook a bit after serving (if not scarfed before they hit the plate), so a bit runny is better than almost solid.
1247025-1

Half a potato and dish it fluffy side up. Balance egg on top. Or just plonk the lot in a bowl and sprinkle cheese over. (BTW, the hair in the second photo is actually cheese stringing. Not fake photoshopping here!)
1247029-2

The following users thanked this post: Labrat101

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 10:10:29 pm »
hope you dont own a restaurant /cafe cause i'd be very disappointed if you served that up,when i order egg chips and beans i want

The following users thanked this post: DenzilPenberthy, bd139, I wanted a rude username

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 10:15:21 pm »
Yeah, kind of a play on words, and taking the piss out of the 'blah reinvented' thing. You might also notice there ain't no tomatoes in egg, chips and beans, so I'd have those back off your plate when you complained :)

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 10:45:10 pm »
hope you dont own a restaurant /cafe cause i'd be very disappointed if you served that up,when i order egg chips and beans i want

I'd be horrified if someone served me up those horrible looking eggs and watery beans.

As for dunkemhigh's recipe it's making me feel hungry. Really fancy a go at that one  :-+

The following users thanked this post: PlainName, Labrat101

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 10:46:45 pm »
you might also notice there ain't no tomatoes in egg, chips and beans
yea there is,both in the bean juice and in the dollop of ketchup you add to the chips

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 07:14:37 pm »
...cont

Leave for an hour. Yep, that is 60 minutes. Actually, you might want to let them be for 75 minutes or so - I usually get these going at the same time the potatoes go in the oven. These are not going to be crunchy!

A couple of minutes before serving break in the eggs and - important! - put the lid back on. Sprinkle some cheese around just for the hell of it.
(Attachment Link)

They are ready when the white is actually white and the yolk is not so anaemic-looking. Ideally the yolks will be just runny, but bear in mind that these will still cook a bit after serving (if not scarfed before they hit the plate), so a bit runny is better than almost solid.
(Attachment Link)

Half a potato and dish it fluffy side up. Balance egg on top. Or just plonk the lot in a bowl and sprinkle cheese over. (BTW, the hair in the second photo is actually cheese stringing. Not fake photoshopping here!)
(Attachment Link)
This is very similar to the middle eastern dish " Shakshuka "
Just goes down a treat for Breakfast .   Just awesome 
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 07:18:44 pm »
Glad you like it :)

"Shakshuka" - had to look that up. Peppers could be worth a try, certainly  :-+

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 07:37:23 pm »
Glad you like it :)

"Shakshuka" - had to look that up. Peppers could be worth a try, certainly  :-+
This is a good link .
The only difference is the bell peppers but it has about a dozen versions .
Easy to make

https://downshiftology.com/recipes/shakshuka/

:popcorn:

« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 07:39:45 pm by Labrat101 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 07:51:44 pm »
Thanks! I'll give it a whirl. Or several.

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 08:01:29 pm »
@    themadhippy

Those chips look horrible .
To make a good chip they first have to be deep fried @ 160C for about 4 or 5 minuets 
Don't let them change colour .
Remove chips from fryer and cover with kitchen paper to keep them warm  .
Turn the deep fryer Temperature to MAX 190C 
Then return the chips back to Fryer until golden brown .
place on kitchen paper in an open bowl  salt to taste  and or vinegar as per taste   . Eat ..  :-+
They will have that Crunchy outside with a soft inside 
 ( optional extra serve in  Paper like the olden days )

Not as your ones Pail & soggy  :--

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2021, 12:29:58 pm »
Place Holder and memory prompt for me to look up my old Cafe Recipe for Beans and downsize it to a domestic quantity. This sort of dish or one with baked Eggs on top of a similar Bean mix is a staple Melbourne/Victorian Cafe (I am sure all around the world too) dish and I have tried a bunch over the years. This is not baked beans on toast with chips :-DD

In the pot is the presoaked from dried assorted Beans, Tomatoes, Onion, Paprika and a bunch of other bits, depending on the season Parsley or Sweet Basil in their too. Typically 3-4kg of dried beans a few kg of Peppers and 10kg of Tomatoes. Do a search for Spicy Beans will also get you some clues for a mix while I fish out the book.

For service the shot below is a bit different as it was my dinner not a typical breakfast size we served but it came on a couple of slabs of my Bread, two Poached Eggs and Mushrooms for the Vegos or Chorizo for the meat eaters or Bacon because well BACON or a combination of any of them.

** Want to know how to poach an egg. Buy only FRESH ones you know when they popped out, deep Pot 10-12 cm of water and 'place' the egg at the surface gently with a gentle swirl going and its easy.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf