Author Topic: glass vs metal baking pans?  (Read 4186 times)

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
Re: glass vs metal baking pans?
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2022, 06:08:39 pm »
The brand name "Pyrex" was originally for borosilicate glass, which was sold by Corning to the laboratory market for chemical glassware and the consumer market for cookware.  Borosilicate was developed around 1893 by Schott as a low expansion co-efficient glass material.
Corning 7740 and Schott 8330 are current borosilicate products (with the same nominal composition) for technical uses.
Corning exited the consumer market in 1998, spinning it off as "Corelle".
Since then, other companies have licensed the trademark "Pyrex" or "pyrex", and some use it only for non-borosilicate tempered soda-lime glass cookware, which is probably cheaper.
There are many claims that the non-borosilicate "pyrices" are more susceptible to thermal shock  (see  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrex )
(H.L. Mencken claimed that the etymology of the trademark was not from the Greek for "fire", but due to an early product being a pie plate;  I am dubious.)

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2022, 06:39:44 pm »
This is the Pyrex ad I remember. I don't think tempered soda-lime glass could survive this.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2022, 06:43:42 pm »
Also, most glasses including borosilicate and soda-lime glasses, are fairly opaque in the mid and far IR spectrum, so unless your oven uses halogen elements (which emit a lot of near IR), clear glass has very little advantage for heat transfer over ceramic.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2022, 06:45:36 pm »

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2022, 09:43:13 pm »
Here's an illustration of the color difference between borosilicate glass (blue) and ordinary glass (clear):

(All pieces are Pyrex branded, on the right from Europe, on the left from the USA.)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 09:46:16 pm by IanB »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf