Author Topic: Hearty Rice Stuff  (Read 666 times)

Online T3sl4co1lTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Hearty Rice Stuff
« on: April 20, 2022, 05:40:14 am »
Not sure what this counts close enough to; it's drier than a stew, more and different flavors than a pilaf (and wetter), but uh, whatever it is, it seems awfully good?

1/2c jasmine rice
1/2c lentils
2c water
1 med to large carrot
1 small onion
1 can chipotles in adobo sauce
1 tbsp "Better Than Bouillon" Chicken (or other stock or base to your liking)

Chop veg, put in saucepan with bouillon, lentils and water.  Bring to boil, simmer for 15 min.
Add rice.  Resume boil and simmer for 10 min.

May need additional water; this is enough to make ~dry lentils and rice.  Chipotles add some sauciness to it.

Serve with fresh diced tomatoes (canned will do), or anything else acidic.  The acidity accentuates the smoky sweetness of the chipotles, which are already fairly sweet.  I think it's doing it for me along the sweet-and-sour plus smoky BBQ-sauce sort of axis.

Use to build an entree, or a side to a main course.  Note there's almost no fat in there, so something fried or meaty is a good idea to pair up.

Earlier today I had some with the last of my roast chicken thighs (which were marinated in garlic, soy sauce and sugar).  Just now, I fried/sauteed some mushrooms, cabbage and green bell pepper, and served that on top, along with diced tomatoes, soy sauce, sugar, and a generous twist of lemon juice.

Can vary the ratio of lentils and rice, if you better like one or the other.  Nice protein source for a vegetarian (vegan, with other broth) dish, or with meat, you won't miss the low protein of rice alone.

Also did something similar the other day, but with more water (making more of a hearty stew) and instead of chipotle, a brick or two of S&B Golden Curry.  Hmm, or both why not?... hmmm...

Note on heat: I've... I've had hot chipotles before, but this can isn't hitting the same for me?  Dunno if that's me, or product variability.  Like, I cracked that can open and slurped two right out of the can... om nom nom.  Something that would bring me to tears on other occasions?!  I haven't really been eating a lot of spicy food lately, so, not sure.  Anyways, if your pain threshold is lower, definitely go easy on them, maybe sub in some tomato paste, paprika, sugar and smoke flavoring (or smoked paprika, or etc.) to keep the richness up.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: Halcyon

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: Hearty Rice Stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 05:46:48 am »
Will be trying.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf