Author Topic: Is junk food considered cooking?  (Read 5751 times)

Offline DrGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
Is junk food considered cooking?
« on: April 18, 2021, 05:30:06 pm »

I don't care, I like "making" junk food - not that I want to know how hot dogs are made :)
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
Re: Is junk food considered cooking?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 06:17:16 pm »
A better term might be 'preparing' rather than cooking.  Strictly speaking, cooking is preparing food by means of heat, so you are good to go.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 09:14:59 pm »
Can I come over?  :popcorn:

Mmm, kraut.  Or chopped onions and sweet relish.  Or hot peppers, esp. Chicago style. :)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 10:46:17 pm »
The line I would draw is, are you turning raw food into cooked food?

If you are just warming up already cooked food, then the cooking part has been done already, so you are not cooking.

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 06:16:14 am »
What has this got to do with electronics?

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 06:17:47 am »
Currently, all electronicians have to eat. ;D  And it's on the off topic board; you can ignore it if you like. :)

Actually, I'm not sure offhand, is that a feature? Ignoring certain boards from your unread list?

Tim

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 06:30:00 am »

It's an off-topic forum specifically for cooking. But to answer your question, nothing.

The following users thanked this post: Caliaxy

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 12:31:24 pm »

Nothing, that is why it is 'off topic hobbies>>cooking'

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 05:20:57 am »
you know its hard to manage hot dogs sour kraut and rolls if you just wanna make sour kraut dogs, they don't come sized right etc.. figure out how often to eat it without making yourself sick etc. I always forget about the sour kraut and its left in the fridge for too long then its shady.

Offline vidarr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 02:12:02 pm »
If you make sauerkraut, which is so good, you are a zymologist practicing zymotechnics.

So, even is you made the sauerkraut from scratch, it still wouldn't be cooking. 
Unless you boil it and can it, but that would ruin it, which is why home made is better than store bought.
The whole point is the good bacteria you get for your gut.
Commercial kraut pasteurizes it and kills it. 

We don't have sauerkraut in (Northern) Brazil, so I have to practice zymology if I want it.

That food looks damn good though. Totally American!

Offline DrGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 10:37:36 pm »

The BLT, in any language it is simple, easy and delicious.

The following users thanked this post: T3sl4co1l

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 11:25:10 pm »
I'll take that with a witbier any day. ;D

Tim

Offline ucanel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 11:32:24 pm »
Humor and cooking you will love this channel:

https://youtube.com/c/yousuckatcooking

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 11:35:17 pm »
I love sauerkraut, although if I didn't know what it was and you described it I don't think I'd touch the stuff because "rotting cabbage" sounds absolutely vile. Tastes great on sausage though, now I'm hungry.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 12:05:02 am »
Rotted milk sounds pretty disgusting but cheese is delicious ... well, some cheeses.  A few, I wouldn't argue too strongly against such a definition... :P

Fermentation is just a matter of doing it with the right things. :)

And for that matter, don't forget that your gut does a large amount of fermentation -- and you get a fair amount of energy out of the process, not to mention important nutrients.  That's a particularly...unappetizing matter, but fortunately it's hidden away inside us for the most part so we don't have to see it except at the end. ;D

(A specific case being, anaerobic fermentation of complex carbohydrates, giving off a combination of methane, hydrogen, CO2 and butyric acid -- a notably smelly short-fatty acid, which is easily metabolized by the body.)

(Incidentally, ethanol is metabolized stepwise to ethanaldehyde then acetic acid, also easily metabolized.  So alcoholic drinks, even straight spirits, are as much "empty calories" as pure fat or sugar are. :) )

Tim

The following users thanked this post: DrG

Offline DrGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 12:11:28 am »
Rotted milk sounds pretty disgusting but cheese is delicious ... well, some cheeses.  A few, I wouldn't argue too strongly against such a definition... :P

Fermentation is just a matter of doing it with the right things. :)

And for that matter, don't forget that your gut does a large amount of fermentation -- and you get a fair amount of energy out of the process, not to mention important nutrients.  That's a particularly...unappetizing matter, but fortunately it's hidden away inside us for the most part so we don't have to see it except at the end. ;D

(A specific case being, anaerobic fermentation of complex carbohydrates, giving off a combination of methane, hydrogen, CO2 and butyric acid -- a notably smelly short-fatty acid, which is easily metabolized by the body.)

(Incidentally, ethanol is metabolized stepwise to ethanaldehyde then acetic acid, also easily metabolized.  So alcoholic drinks, even straight spirits, are as much "empty calories" as pure fat or sugar are. :) )

Tim

...and don't forget Auto Brewery Syndrome https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/auto-brewery-syndrome

Offline DrGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 12:20:56 am »
I love sauerkraut, although if I didn't know what it was and you described it I don't think I'd touch the stuff because "rotting cabbage" sounds absolutely vile. Tastes great on sausage though, now I'm hungry.

Me too. Growing up, we would go to a butcher shop (a thing of the past around here) and, without fail, there was a barrel of the stuff in the corner - Pewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww when they opened the top. Little did I know that I would end up loving the stuff. Earlier there was a post about the microbiome benefits and how you should avoid the "pasteurized" stuff. Not sure that it is truly pasteurized, but no matter, there is truth to that. The good news is that you can still easily get the real stuff. Usually in a bag, not a can and refrigerated...and it does not say "processed cabbage" as an ingredient.

This year, I am going to try my hand at making some kimchi - that stuff is great. There are lots of recipes online but if anyone has made any and it is good, I would like to hear about it - especially the precise pepper that was used e.g., https://www.amazon.com/Tae-kyung-Korean-Pepper-Flakes-Gochugaru/dp/B005G8IDTQ/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=Donggangmaru&qid=1620087209&sr=8-12 or whatever it is.

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 12:55:18 am »
well

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 03:10:14 am »
When I was in 4th grade I think it was, we had a substitute teacher who brought in stuff to cook hotdogs with electricity. Cords with bare wires wrapped around screwdriver shafts and plugged into the 120V socket, parents these days would blow a gasket if a teacher did that with a class of young kids. We had a great time doing it, although I recall the hotdogs tasted pretty terrible. I think there were some reactions going on where the electrical contact was.

Offline redg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2021, 07:55:08 pm »

If you are just warming up already cooked food, then the cooking part has been done already, so you are not cooking.

I'll pass that on the next time I'm at my favourite sushi restaurant :)
Interests: electronics for motorcycles, boats, small aircraft & cinema cameras/sound recorders.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2021, 08:22:57 pm »

I don't care, I like "making" junk food - not that I want to know how hot dogs are made :)

Just noticed this thread.  Sorry for the late input.  There was a TV show several years ago about hot dogs, pink slime, and Usinger's hot dogs (an exception).  This is not a link to that show, but you might find it interesting:

I used to be able to get Usinger's at Giant Eagle in Cleveland, but that chain stopped carrying it.  If you can find it, try it.

EDIT:  BTW, I am also a sauerkraut lover as well as other cabbage dishes.  When I have the  time, I will post a family sausage and Savoy cabbage favorite.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 08:26:03 pm by jpanhalt »

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2021, 08:44:11 pm »
Which, if you ever make it by this way, the Cheese Mart and Spice House are right next door, and in proud Milwaukee tradition, no shortage of bars/pubs/taverns/restaurants to enjoy such things and more, at. :)
Map: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0438484,-87.9146079,135m/data=!3m1!1e3

I'm actually rather unimpressed by what they call their "brats", think they were more like just the hotdog mix?  Or at least I think I'm remembering that right, and not just like knockwurst.  Their natural casing hot dogs are excellent, just a little crunchy when lightly grilled.  I'm not sure that any products are really superlative in their class, but the diversity of them is nice to have in the otherwise mass-commodity USA.  There must not be many places that make blood and tongue sausage, etc.

Other good pilgrimages, Monroe in the SW corner of the state has a bit of touristy flair, no shortage of cheese, and downtown you'll find Baumgartner's where you can get, I think it's Limburger and a slice of onion on toast?  If you so dare, that is.  Or Widmer's Cheese Cellars up in Theresa, if you want to check it out at the source.  IIRC, the only place in the US that makes Limburger.

...Or that guy from Seven Transistor Labs, I hear he'll even share a drink with 'ya? ;D

Tim

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2021, 09:11:14 pm »
I didn't know you were in that area.  One of my daughters always sends me a Spice House assortment for Christmas. One of my favorites is the Pullman Smokehouse on any pork.  I don't like anything with added maple flavor.  Spice House also had a Bavarian spice mix that was very good, but I would still recommend the YaYa-B's mixture (https://yayab.com/collections/all ).  Originally, it was made in Rochester, MN at a local Greek church.  One of my daughters helped make early batches.  Now, it seems to be national.

EDIT: I raised my family in Rochester, MN.  We were quite familiar with Wisconsin's delicacies. One of my granddaughter's is going to Stevens Point next year. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 09:14:53 pm by jpanhalt »

The following users thanked this post: T3sl4co1l

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2021, 07:08:04 am »
if you want to class it up you can used smoked brats, much more expensive then hot dogs but very tasty and they work with all the same stuff as a normal hot dog (often sausages are not cross compatible with the same toppings), i.e. italian sausage dog is allergic to some hot dog stuff

and another way to class up a hot dog is to boil it for a few minutes (also beer boil) first then throw it on the BBQ after patting it dry (or not depending on beer) when it got heated to maximum temp and searing it. And doing the onions yourself also turns it into a more advanced meal. If you do the onions and boil/sear the dog, and toast the bun.. its probobly worth like at least 12$ at a restaurant vs a 2$ street dog (or whatever they cost now)

i remember I found a hot dog stand outside of the DMV in an urban area after I had to go there, beautiful thing to turn that frown upside down
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 07:13:55 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2021, 11:24:46 pm »

I'll pass that on the next time I'm at my favourite sushi restaurant :)

I assume from your comment that they leave the rice uncooked...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf