General > Cooking

kimchee / kimchi

(1/1)

DrG:
Going to try to make my own Kimchee. I love the stuff....not sure I will love what I end up making, but I want to give it a try.

So, I scored a bag of Gochugaru....

I don't want to provide a link until I know it is good. I paid ~US$10 for 100 gms. This is born, raised and shipped out of Korea and I went out of my way to get it in the name of authenticity. You can get a similar product from China for 1/4 of the price and, frankly, I don't know that this is better or worse. Just telling you what I did.

There are lots of recipes online, but has anyone made it successfully that could pass on the recipe or just some tips?

thatawesomeguy:
I've made Kimchi a couple times with success.

The recipe I've followed is this one

https://www.koreanbapsang.com/baechu-kimchi-napa-cabbage-kimchi/

If I made it again I've probably dice the cabbage rather than leave it whole, just makes it easier to use.

You can also jumpstart your fermenting process if you have some left over Kimchi by adding it to your new batch.

DrG:
I still have not tried to make any, but will look through that site and recipes.

retiredfeline:
No Korean grocery stores where you live? Here locally made kimchi is about $5/500g.

DrG:

--- Quote from: retiredfeline on October 18, 2021, 12:00:55 pm ---No Korean grocery stores where you live? Here locally made kimchi is about $5/500g.

--- End quote ---

To the contrary, there are many. I buy some regularly. Nevertheless, there is something to making your own and I want to try doing that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version