General > Cooking

Mess Free Cooking - Thank You Faraday

(1/3) > >>

killingtime:
If you've cooked on a gas hob then you'll know that cleaning can take up a fair amount of time, especially round the gas burners. Plenty of cleaning products for this, but they're not cheap and you have to let them soak in. Just another time consuming hassle.

Enter the induction hob. The hob is essentially as flat panel of boro glass, with induction coils beneath. The flat nature of the hob makes it easier to clean, but the lack of a naked flame means you can just put paper down between the hob and the pan. When you're done cooking, just roll up the paper and recycle. This results in a a 100% clean hob. It's only really men that seem to appreciate this. All the women I've told seem bemused, and prefer gas. Also worth noting that if you set the heat too high, some of the print comes off on the hob if you use newspaper. Easily cleaned off with a green scrubbing pad. You can just use blank paper instead if you have it. I only really use this method when cooking large messy meals, which are weighed out and frozen.

We have Faraday (induction) and Foucault (eddy currents) to thank for this.

Zero999:

--- Quote from: killingtime on March 07, 2023, 12:56:32 pm ---If you've cooked on a gas hob then you'll know that cleaning can take up a fair amount of time, especially round the gas burners. Plenty of cleaning products for this, but they're not cheap and you have to let them soak in. Just another time consuming hassle.

Enter the induction hob. The hob is essentially as flat panel of boro glass, with induction coils beneath. The flat nature of the hob makes it easier to clean, but the lack of a naked flame means you can just put paper down between the hob and the pan. When you're done cooking, just roll up the paper and recycle. This results in a a 100% clean hob. It's only really men that seem to appreciate this. All the women I've told seem bemused, and prefer gas.
--- End quote ---
Note some councils won't recycle paper if it's fouled with food stains. Fortunately it can be used in the compost heap, for wood fibre to balance out kitchen scraps, which make it too sloppy.

--- Quote ---Also worth noting that if you set the heat too high, some of the print comes off on the hob if you use newspaper. Easily cleaned off with a green scrubbing pad. You can just use blank paper instead if you have it. I only really use this method when cooking large messy meals, which are weighed out and frozen.
--- End quote ---
How about fish and chip wrappers? Often enough of it is not contaminated by grease and could be used for this.

killingtime:

--- Quote from: Zero999 on March 07, 2023, 01:04:23 pm ---How about fish and chip wrappers? Often enough of it is not contaminated by grease and could be used for this.

--- End quote ---

Yep, whatever you were going to throw away anyway, provided it's clean.

coppercone2:
how about using pizza boxes, their dirty anyway

Ranayna:
A pizza box is likely too thick.
Either the hob will not be able to detect the pot, and not turn on, or you will lose a lot of power.

But generally this seems like a decent idea, and in hindsight kinda obvious. :D
I will try a sheet of baking paper the next time i use my new induction hob. That will not have an issue with the heat, and should not leave stains.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version