Author Topic: Need help with sorting frozen meat in the freezer  (Read 3109 times)

Offline Ed.KloonkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Need help with sorting frozen meat in the freezer
« on: January 22, 2022, 10:42:41 pm »
I never thought I could contribute very much to the cooking sub-forum since, frankly, I'm mostly not allowed in the kitchen save for the odd thing that needs fixing.

This morning I was presented with a problem. Trying to find a target meal kept in one of a few freezers that are all full to the gills. We have upright freezers in different fridge/freezer/freezer-only combinations.

The meat we buy is the tray-wrapped type with the label right in the middle, so stacking in any orientation seems impossible.

The other issue is the rounded shape of the packages become random missiles when disturbed as apparently they aim right for the toes and ankles.

It also brings back horrible memories of my grandmother and her 'tuckerbox' style freezer (top lidded). We were often worried that someday we'd find her up side down, stuck in the freezer.

Any ideas? (about the finding the meat, not helping the granny. She's long gone!)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 10:46:59 pm by Ed.Kloonk »
iratus parum formica

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
Re: Need help with sorting frozen meat in the freezer
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 11:35:30 pm »
You could stick a reference chart to the outside of each freezer, that way you can see what’s inside before even opening it. Better still, something like a whiteboard so you can quickly and easily amend the contents list on the go.  8)

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 11:50:58 pm »
Thanks, but a more tactile suggestion of stacking might be what is needed.

Proposing the chart idea could cause me to have sudden impact with something blunt.  :)
iratus parum formica

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 11:59:44 pm »

Can they stand up, like books on a shelf?

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 12:04:50 am »
Coloured bags by type of meat, put tray in bag, stack.  You can easily then see if you want hogget  to reach for the orange bags or whatever.

Or just eat less meat, don't know about Australia, but here in NZ your freezers full of meat would be worth a bloody fortune.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 12:07:33 am »

Can they stand up, like books on a shelf?

One area only in one freezer has a basket. It tends to wedge things and you can't see the label without pulling everything out.

The majority of space is normal freezer shelves, I dunno, 4 or 5" apart.

Thinking I might have to remove every second shelf or something and put plastic baskets in there.
iratus parum formica

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 12:09:46 am »
Coloured bags by type of meat, put tray in bag, stack.  You can easily then see if you want hogget  to reach for the orange bags or whatever.
That's a good idea, small stickers of primary colours.

Or just eat less meat, don't know about Australia, but here in NZ your freezers full of meat would be worth a bloody fortune.

Part of our retirement strategy.   ;)
iratus parum formica

Offline SmallCog

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 02:50:57 am »
We tend to bulk buy to save money

When we buy (for example) a side of lamb it will all come sliced up in a box, and I cryovac it into meal sized portions. I'm careful when doing this that they're all nice and flat so they stack OK in the freezer

If I'm portioning out mince I'll even give the cryovac'd bags a quick roll with a rolling pin after sealing them - they don't just stack nicely they also freeze and defrost fast.

I write on them with something like a sharpie to show what's in the packet and when it was frozen.

If you're buying meat in trays you could do similar and write on the visible edge with a sharpie. I find tray products suffer more from freezer burn.

Our big upright freezer isn't where guests would see it so I used a sharpie to mark lines on the door showing the shelves, and we write what's in each shelf with whiteboard marker. Take something out and the marker gets wiped off.

This is quite useful when headed for the shops as you can quickly see what you have a lot of, or not much of.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 03:16:59 am »
Our big upright freezer isn't where guests would see it so I used a sharpie to mark lines on the door showing the shelves, and we write what's in each shelf with whiteboard marker. Take something out and the marker gets wiped off.

Oh, wow!

That's a great idea.
iratus parum formica

Offline cvanc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 12:30:08 pm »
I think we're missing the big question here:

What the hell are silly sausages??   :)

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 09:59:00 am »

Oh, wow!

That's a great idea.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. No apps, no Bluetooth needed.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline SmallCog

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 08:48:13 pm »

Oh, wow!

That's a great idea.

A photo of the freezer door is often taken before a trip to Costco

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 09:46:50 pm »

Are we finally ready for the internet-enabled fridge? Applying the suggestions combined with the tech now available.

Most things have a bar code. And a camera mounted on the inside of the door could observe where you stored the item. And upon retrieval, place an order for more or at least prepare an order. And then it could be watching how many calories verses how many live in the house and if need be, lock the fridge door...

Ahem.

Needless to say the idea of defacing the fridge door with a texta went over like a lead balloon. It's much easier to have a whinge apparently.

:)
iratus parum formica

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 11:21:35 pm »

Needless to say the idea of defacing the fridge door with a texta went over like a lead balloon. It's much easier to have a whinge apparently.

:-DD

How dare you even consider bringing up such a simple and logical solution to food wastage! ;-)

Could you laminate a bit of white paper and use that as a whiteboard and store it inside or on top of the fridge as an alternative? Would that be "allowed" ?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 11:33:03 pm »

How about let's come up with an over-complicated solution that you present first, just to make the sensible one more palatable?

Put an NFC tag in each bag, and hold your phone up to the bag when you want to know what's in it.  It could link straight to a web site with recipes for that particular item!    :-DD

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 11:52:25 pm »

How dare you even consider bringing up such a simple and logical solution to food wastage! ;-)

Could you laminate a bit of white paper and use that as a whiteboard and store it inside or on top of the fridge as an alternative? Would that be "allowed" ?

I just wait to be told what to do. Thinking outside the square invites trouble.
iratus parum formica

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 11:54:10 pm »

How about let's come up with an over-complicated solution that you present first, just to make the sensible one more palatable?

Put an NFC tag in each bag, and hold your phone up to the bag when you want to know what's in it.  It could link straight to a web site with recipes for that particular item!    :-DD
Oh yeah. NFC tags.

:scared:
iratus parum formica

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 12:07:07 am »

I just wait to be told what to do. Thinking outside the square invites trouble.

But when the new system fails (because no one updates it or it's too cumbersome), you realise that it'll all be YOUR fault?  ;)

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2022, 12:14:07 am »
But when the new system fails (because no one updates it or it's too cumbersome), you realise that it'll all be YOUR fault?  ;)

Oh, it's -always- my fault.
 ;D
iratus parum formica

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 01:21:04 am »
Hire a kitchen assistant.might cost a few quid but surely worth it for a quiet life.

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 03:04:28 am »
Hire a kitchen assistant.might cost a few quid but surely worth it for a quiet life.

It would end up costing me quite a few quid if the kitchen assistant I'm picturing suddenly turned up in the French maid outfit.

:palm:
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2022, 07:14:21 am »
It would end up costing me quite a few quid if the kitchen assistant I'm picturing suddenly turned up in the French maid outfit.

Again, I'm all about compromise, but how about someone that looks like Zac Efron? Would that work?

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 07:39:24 am »

Again, I'm all about compromise, but how about someone that looks like Zac Efron? Would that work?

Don't think so. I'd say he would be too big to fit into the outfit.
iratus parum formica

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf