Author Topic: Pizza Bases  (Read 558 times)

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Pizza Bases
« on: February 14, 2021, 06:12:36 am »
If making pizza at home, my best advice for excellent professional results at home are
- Get proper 00 grade flour (My ratio is: 425g OO flour, 234g water, 8g sugar, 8g salt, 13g olive oil, 3/4tsp yeast)
- Mix it by weight and use the right hydration level for 00 flour.  55% works well for me  (this is what I used above, but test 60% and 65% as different flour behaves differently)
- Use semolina flour when shaping the pizza to stop it sticking to your hands/rolling pin etc.. (a coating of semolina on the outside will make the crust really nice)
- Use a pizza stone or steel for cooking
- Put the stone/steel in the oven and set the temp as high as it will go for 1 hour before inserting the pizza (to get the stone really hot for crispy bottom of pizza).
- When ready, put the pizza in and immediately turn the temp down to 260C (500F)
- Cook for 13-14min

Some other pro tips:
Commercial kitchen food supply stores often sell nice ready-to-use pizza sauce, but it will be in a commercial size package (pretty large).
They will also have 20kg bags of 00 flour which will be much cheaper than supermarket 00 flour
My time/temps are for a generic home oven, if you have a more professional oven you will get better results at a higher temp for less time.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M, Halcyon, newbrain

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: Pizza Bases
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 11:06:45 am »
I would love to build my own outdoor wood fired oven. I find the temperature on most home ovens don't go hot enough. I think mine maxes out at 260 degrees.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 11:45:31 am »
You may want this project instead, keeping with the theme of the forum:

:-DD

Offline mon2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 01:52:34 am »
Looks delicious!! Yum!!  :-+

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 02:03:26 am »
FYI: I find using a cup of *packed* bread flour, to a cup of water, is about the right ratio.  Fast, and doesn't need a scale.  Note: I keep my flour in the freezer to reduce rancidity; whatever effect this has on humidity (low, presumably?), take that into effect.  YMMV, adjust hydration as needed (add water and knead it in, eh, good luck; easier to go too much and knead in flour until it's right).

Hmm, I should get some pizza toppings...

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 12:59:26 pm »
FYI: I find using a cup of *packed* bread flour, to a cup of water, is about the right ratio. 

Sadly, an advice like that really does not translate internationally. Not because we don't measure in cups but because the flour is different everywhere!

I have found this out the hard way when I have moved to France. So what you may have as "bread flour" could be very different from mine - how coarsely (or not) it has been ground, how much humidity is in it, what is the starch content ... Heck, even yeast is not the same.

Baking is not science or engineering, unfortunately - so you will need to try and adapt based on how your own dough comes out.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 01:02:20 pm »
Looks delicious!! Yum!!  :-+

It is - but it took him several months to get there, including a master class in Italy :)

Alex's channel is worth watching - not so much for recipes these days but for the engineering approach to cooking. He is an EE, finally.

(and sometimes the insane hacks - pasta machine driven by a cordless drill anyone?)

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 01:06:37 pm »
(and sometimes the insane hacks - pasta machine driven by a cordless drill anyone?)

I used a cordless drill to run my pasta squeezer a couple years ago when I was at the lake and I somehow forgot to bring the crank handle for it.  I just used a masonry bit that happened to be the right size to engage where the little tabs should be.  My mom laughed, but certainly loved the pasta it made.

Worked great.   8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf