Author Topic: Pork knuckles - souse vide technique  (Read 7527 times)

Offline ToHuTopic starter

Pork knuckles - souse vide technique
« on: August 24, 2023, 09:28:44 pm »
So I didn't invent this recipe, but prepare it multiple times and the results are always perfect.
Souse vide is a low temperature cooking techniques, the meat is seal in a plastic bag, better to be vacuum sealed, this will stop it from floating and also improve the thermal contact with the waters /I can perform CFD if someone doesn't  believe me :)/. There is a number of circulation heaters, i am using Anova one, it works fine, but this is not any kind of advertising, just what i have. The important part here is the seasoning. There are multiple recipes, but for me the best results you get with those spice mix :   
Salt 1/4 cup
Brown sugar 1/4 cup
Paprika 1/4 cup
Garlic powder 1 tbsp
Onion powder 1 tbsp
Black pepper 1 tbsp
Usually i am mixing a large dose so i can use it at least for 12 months.
You need a fresh pork knuckle, better never been frozen, you need to wash it and dry it with kitchen towels. If there any bristle left the best way is to use a torch, I am using my welding torch, but any torch will be sufficient, even a small one. If you need to do that, do it before you wash the knuckles.
Once you have them washed and dried seasoning them well with the spice mix, put them in a seal bag and seal them. I am always do a double seals, that way no chance to leak.
Cook for 24 h at 165 F.
When done you have two options, if you have time you may put them in the fridge for 3-4 h, this will help after if you want to have a crispy skin.
With or without cooling them, when you are ready to serve them put them on a rack and broil them in the oven. If you have it cooled before, you will manage to get a crispy skin, without drying the meat. If you don't have time for that, you still can broil them but be carefully, if you keep them too long in the oven the meat may get dry.
Serve them immediately.
A good side dish is sweet source cabbage and/or brad potato's. It's typical German thing, i am not sure they cook them the same way, but the result is pretty much the same. After you finish with the initial cooking in the seal bag you will have a good amount of sauce, don't trough it. You can use it for the sweet-source cabbage it's much better than any type of broth, also you may use it as a sauce, especially if you overdo it in the oven, the souse will moisturize the meat and none will notice your fault.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 09:31:01 pm by ToHu »

The following users thanked this post: T3sl4co1l

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Pork knuckles - souse vide technique
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 09:26:19 pm »
Looks fab. I'm hungry now.

Offline mengfei

• Regular Contributor
Re: Pork knuckles - souse vide technique
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 08:30:30 am »
in our place we this "Krispy Pata" tender on the inside crackling crispy on the outside  ;D

though it takes time to make :box:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf