Author Topic: Provisions for Polynesian Voyages  (Read 911 times)

Offline cdevTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
Provisions for Polynesian Voyages
« on: May 21, 2022, 09:30:42 pm »
This was written by a distant cousin (according to my grandmother) He also wrote a beautiful coffee table book which someday I hope to own a copy of. "The Hawaiian Canoe". He was actually part Hungarian as am I. His last name was shortened or Angelicized when he came to America. As so many names were. We are all immigrants, almost.

https://archive.hokulea.com/ike/canoe_living/holmes_provisioning.html

The reason I like this is they were really the most incredible voyagers, setting out to colonize new islands, sort of like I'd imagine a space voyage to be. They approached it that way... The Pacific Ocean was so very big and their outrigger canoes were so very small. They had a technique for celestial navigation which worked very well, pre GPS. Its reputed that Women made the best navigators. Polynesian societies pass this absolutely essential skill on, in some cases, mother to daughter.

I am also interested in the Arab dhow, which uses a triangular "lateen" sail and is very pretty and I bet, also fun to sail.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 09:39:44 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: Provisions for Polynesian Voyages
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 04:45:35 am »
look up dhoni : maldivian traditional sail ship.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf