Author Topic: Recipe: Cabbage..... stuff. Looks ugly, is cheap, fast and tastes great.  (Read 2041 times)

Offline YsjoelfirTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
So this is a short one. It looks ugly, but its rather healthy, very cheap, fast to do (~15 min) and tastes great. And it can be modified basically every way you like.

1209590-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Ingredients:
1 Cabbage of your choice. Or two. Doesn't realy matter.
1 Pack of diced bacon (or dice/cut yourself. Or leave out if you want it without meat)
1 Pack of Shrooms of your choice. I chose champignon. roughly 400g.
1 Onion.

Instructions:
- Cut Onions into small cubes.
- Brown onions in a pan or wok on medium to high heat.
- Add Bacon, if available, and fry to the desired taste
- Add Shrooms, cut to bite sized slices, and brown those as well.
- Add the cabbage, fry for a second, reduce the heat to medium low.
- Add a goood splash of soy sauce or any savory sauce you like (the one whose name noone can pronounce correctly works great, as does fish sauce)
- let that simmer for roughly 7 minutes or until the cabbage has softened a bit
- season to taste with salt and pepper

Done :)

Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

The following users thanked this post: bd139, I wanted a rude username, Just_another_Dave

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Cabbage, bacon, mushrooms, sold! Thanks for this one  :-+

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Ah yes, I'm not the only one in the habit of "toss some shit into the pan and fry it" meals. :)

Variations: potato (fine dice, ~hashbrowns -- like the canned style, not the shredded and deep fried kind, but that too), bell (or other) pepper is good, maybe carrot, bacon or other fatty meat of course welcome when handy (and you're into that sort of thing), etc.  Two eggs on top (stirred in, fried, or scrambled) also good...

Not really much of an accident, as at a high enough level of generalization you can describe any stir-fried dish this way; most stir-frys, curries, etc. fit the bill, given a sauce (broth, soy sauce, starch to thicken; spices and coconut milk; etc.) :)  Serve over pasta or rice (or add lentils or other proteins or grains) for added bulk. :-+

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline YsjoelfirTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Nice to know that you like it :D
As a side note: I can highly suggest adding some of Halcyon's turtoise powder he suggested for this dish https://www.eevblog.com/forum/cooking/chicken-katsudon-(japanese-crumbed-chicken-and-egg-rice-bowl)/ - that works very well on there.
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
I'll see if I can make it without the mushrooms.

What if I use pickled onions would be worth trying?

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
- Add a goood splash of soy sauce or any savory sauce you like (the one whose name noone can pronounce correctly works great, as does fish sauce)

Worcestershire sauce?

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
I'll see if I can make it without the mushrooms.

What if I use pickled onions would be worth trying?
You need a vegetable that will adsorb the flavors and a significant proportion of the grease from the bacon, and also cook fairly quickly.  Mushrooms do that very well, but if you really don't/cant eat them,  T3sl4co1l's suggestion of potatoes, finely diced or shredded, is probably the best choice that's readily available in and around Northern Europe. 
However if you are using red cabbage, try thin sliced (peeled and cored) Bramley cooking apples!  Members in other regions may wish to experiment with pumpkin, squashes etc. aubergine, jackfruit or even tofu.

The whole point of pickled onions is that crispy oniony sweet or sour pickled crunch.  I can see them working sliced or chopped as a garnish on top when you plate it, but if you cook them, they wont bring anything to the dish, as there's already soft-cooked onion in there.  If you want the sourness, a dash of a halfway decent vinegar will get you there - I save the walnut infused vinegar from jars of Oppies pickled walnuts - or you could use a decent mass-market Balsamic vinegar (not the really good traditional stuff), though I'd be more likely to chuck a dash of rice wine, (or sherry, wine or cider if I've got some open) in at the same time as whatever savory source you are using.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 06:47:53 am by Ian.M »

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
Mushrooms, cabbage, soy sauce, onion, bacon. Wish me luck.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Canned mushrooms wont adsorb as much of the bacon grease as raw fresh ones do.  You may need to drain off some of the bacon grease immediately before adding the mushrooms.

If they adsorb more than I expect, you can always put a little of the removed grease back in immediately before the cabbage.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf