Author Topic: Fajitas  (Read 2229 times)

Offline MicrodoserTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Fajitas
« on: January 30, 2021, 01:27:47 pm »
Makes Fajitas just like the ones from Casa Mexicana in Bristol, UK. Not 'proper' Mexican but still tasty.

FAJITA SPICE MIX

4 tsp Chilli Powder
4 tsp Cumin
4 tsp Paprika
2 tsp dried Oregano
2 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper

2 steaks in strips (feel free to add chicken, prawns, or your favourite Fajita main ingredient)
2 bell peppers large slices
2 onions large slices
8-12 corn tortillas

fry onion in olive oil until nearly semi soft, add bell pepper, steak and spice mix to taste

fry until steak/chicken/prawns are cooked, add a little water if it gets too dry, or you want a bit more sauce

Serve with Crème fraîche, refried beans, guacamole, cheese, jalapeños, whatever you like in Fajitas

The following users thanked this post: tpowell1830

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
Re: Fajitas
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 06:35:05 pm »
This sounds very yummy. Fajitas are a regular here in Texas. I would definitely try this recipe.

However, the way we cook fajitas here in Texas is a bit different, this sounds like a very good recipe.
PEACE===>T

The following users thanked this post: Microdoser

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 07:37:59 pm »
So what are the differences for 'Texas style' fajitas?

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 08:26:51 pm »
So what are the differences for 'Texas style' fajitas?

The sugar, black pepper and oregano are not added to mix, although the other seasonings are good. The meat is a skirt steak or flank steak that is sprinkled and rubbed with the oil and then coated with the mix and placed in the frig overnight and then cooked on a grill using charcoal. Of course you could use chicken or shrimp, or other favorite meats, but the difference is that the season mix is applied and placed in the frig overnight and grilled. I like the skirt steak for the carne asada.

After grilling, the carne asada is sliced into thin pieces that can easily be placed in a tortilla, I prefer flour tortillas. The sauted onion and pepper are then placed into the tortilla as well and a small spoon of refried beans and red salsa to top it. Add a few slices of fresh jalapeno and then wrap the tort up around everything and then you have a special treat.

The refried beans are prepared in a pan using butter, garlic powder and, if needed, salt. Heat the refried beans until it is bubbling and stir in the butter and garlic until well mixed. Use about 2 to 4 oz butter (to your liking) for a 16 oz can of beans. The amount of garlic powder is up to you ;)

For appetizers, use the corn tortillas, cut into 4 quadrants and fried until crispy. Get your favorite salsa and use the corn crisps to dip the salsa. The spicier the better, which is partly the reason that we do iced tea in Texas (as well as cooling for the hot climate). :)

Enjoy!
PEACE===>T

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M, Microdoser

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 11:33:15 pm »
On the subject of fajitas, I've started making my own tortillas. They are super simple (especially if you have your own tortilla press). I haven't perfected the recipe quite yet, so I'll hold off posting a recipe until I find one that blows my mind (also I want to try corn torillas). But even an average recipe is leaps and bounds ahead of the store-bought tortillas. There is so much more flavour if you make them yourself.

Not my recipe, but I'll link it here anyway: CHICKEN FAJITA TRAY BAKE - https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/chicken-fajita-tray-bake-recipe/q6nu5ks1

It's so easy to throw everything in together and bake. I personally also add fresh sliced jalapeno, avocado and grated cheese to my fajitas when assembling (I guess at that point it's becoming more like a soft taco, than a fajita, but I don't care).

The following users thanked this post: tpowell1830, Microdoser

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 11:05:45 pm »
Since my SWMBO is very interested in Tex/Mex cuisine I will most probably try this dish soon.
Also, you could consider adding your spice mixes to my spice mix collection thread? :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 11:07:52 pm by Ysjoelfir »
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf