Author Topic: Recommendations for quality can opener  (Read 2997 times)

Offline gnavigator1007Topic starter

• Supporter
Recommendations for quality can opener
« on: December 13, 2021, 11:16:31 pm »
We've just had our 3rd human powered can opener crap out on us in the last year. Does anyone know of any remaining good quality brands to look for? These things used to last forever and now it seems they are designed to fail. I would just get a proper commercial/restaurant style opener, but we lack a proper place to mount one.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Recommendations for quality can opener
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 11:28:26 pm »
Ganji Kankiri (https://smile.amazon.com/Japanese-Can-Opener-Ganji-Kankiri/dp/B001TV6A7G) works really well for a manual opener. There are no moving parts, so nothing can really break there. And the way you apply force is very natural and controllable.

The only disadvantage that I could see is that with shallow cans it does not work well, since it needs a couple inches of vertical clearance. It is not ideal for cans that have liquid in them. I usually just open those on a thick cutting board or on the edge of the table to let the opener hang down while making sure the can is level.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 11:34:37 pm by ataradov »
Alex

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 11:30:40 pm »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Culinare-MagiCan-Opener-Plastic-White/dp/B071VJD27T

I find they last for a number of decades, and still carry on and on.

EDIT:
On the other hand, things tended to be better made, decades ago, when I got these. Maybe the quality of tin openers has gone down hill, in recent years. If I remember correctly, I bought a spare one, for that very possibility. In case my current one, eventually breaks.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 11:38:08 pm by MK14 »

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 12:33:01 am »
Ganji Kankiri
I always liked the P-51/P-38 style. Used to be really fast with them. This seems like it would be much easier on the hands and wrist. The last P-51 I had died prematurely as well, but I suspect that was from additional wear being kept with my keys.

I find they last for a number of decades, and still carry on and on.

EDIT:
On the other hand, things tended to be better made, decades ago, when I got these. Maybe the quality of tin openers has gone down hill, in recent years. If I remember correctly, I bought a spare one, for that very possibility. In case my current one, eventually breaks.

I'm a bit suspicious of anything with plastic aside from maybe on the handle at this point. Even the metal seems to be lower quality on newer can openers. They're just such ridiculously simple tools that used to be made well it's really a shame to see. The last one that failed appeared to be all metal, but the gear shaft went though a plastic piece. The plastic broke and it left the opener unable to bite cans.

I think I'll go ahead and order both of these and see. Thank you both for your suggestions.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 10:31:07 am »

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 03:42:57 pm »
 :-DD I'm so sorry for creating a duplicate thread! I did a cursory scan to see if the issue had been mentioned, but I must have missed it. I knew I couldn't the first one to notice the decline of quality in these things! Thank you for your suggestion as well

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf