General > Cooking

Starting a garden, what should I grow? (Favorite seeds, etc?)(

(1/8) > >>

cdev:
My sweetie and I have finally decided to make a small enclosed garden frame to grow herbs, high value veggies etc. In order to keep deer out we're basically making a box with open sides out of wood thats covered with a screen material so they cant nibble which they will do if we let them. . (They tend to eat other plants we've grown like flowers and bulbs,killing them rapidly, this has been a real downer although if I was a starving deer I would probably eat tasty sprouts too, we cant blame them for doing what comes naturally.. .. 

We have lots of deer here and also lots and lots of cute squirrels. There are also rabbits, groundhogs, (large rodents) and chipmunk (tiny, lightning fast rodents with racing stripes) And lots of birds, including crows,sparrows, etc.

So we're making an enclosed little frame to grow our own food plants in. First we have added some basil so we can have fresh pesto.. What would you plant and why?   We live not far from New York City and tomatoes (both the big beefsteak tomatoes and cherry tomatoes are definitely going to be grown here. Also we like cucumbers and asparagus. Also I like the little purple potatoes..

What are your favorite vegetables for growing, and seed companies?

xrunner:
Funny you should ask. I just started a garden this year, haven't had one since I moved in here. I eat salads all the time so I wanted to start off simple. What you see is radishes. I planted four rows (two different varieties), then 10 days later four more rows, and ten days later four more rows. That's all I have room for now. In the heat of summer I will try banana peppers, then in fall ... who knows?

cdev:
Radishes are pretty.. I used to have a friend out in California on the north coast (where gardening is just so fruitful because of the ever present moisture and fog.. ) and she grew lots of rhubarb, which is sort of related to celery, but its red and sweet. She used this to make rhubarb pie which was just delicious.. Pretty too because of the red color.

There are all sorts of amazing widlflowers that grow around there., Its one of the best areas for local food.. Also fish, like salmon. There is nothing like fresh caught salmon for taste.. And they also can sometimes be just huge. Enough to feed a large group of people.

The Eureka area is good for local food goodness..  Deep in the redwood country.

Microdoser:
Oregano, put it in a tub, and it comes back every year. Cut it when it's growing and dry it out. A big tub will give you a whole years worth once it's established. You can do the same with thyme. Plant out a Basil every year for the same.

Butternut squash grows like mad and keeps well over the winter, we still have some from last year.

You'll always get a good crop from Runner or French beans, they grab nitrogen from the air so when you compost the plants, you end up with more nutrients in the soil than you started with. They grow tall so put them at the north side so they don't shade other stuff.

I'd only grow Asparagus if you have loads of space, they take up a lot of space for what you get, and you have to keep them undisturbed and well fed for a couple of years before you harvest them.

Tomato varieties I love are BrandyWine to get a perfect burger slicing tomato, baby plum for eating, San Marzano for sauces.

You can get winter lettuce which will grow fine as long as the temperature is warmer than freezing. You can even plant 2 inches off the root end of a Lemongrass stalk in spring and get 10 fresh stalks by the end of the summer.

I've just started off my extra hot chillis, stir-fry chillis and jalapeƱos for pickling.

We are lucky that the main animals we get are foxes and badgers. They mainly eat the sweetcorn (out of what we plant) so we don't plant that.

Halcyon:

--- Quote from: cdev on March 29, 2022, 04:49:04 pm ---chipmunk (tiny, lightning fast rodents with racing stripes)

--- End quote ---

:-DD

Brilliant!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version