Author Topic: The Mighty Burger  (Read 3657 times)

Offline DrGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
The Mighty Burger
« on: July 24, 2021, 06:33:56 pm »

First, let me apologize for the poor pic - my only excuse is that I wanted to eat, not point my phone :)

I love burgers! This one has lettuce, a thin slice of tomato, a thin slice of onion and a healthy dollop of Gorgonzola cheese. A high quality potato bun is used and 90-10 ground beef was fried. Delicious.

Other burger thoughts:

The bun is very important.

Mile high burgers with everything on them are ill-conceived and impractical to eat. Maybe I do have a big mouth but give me a break!

I like 90-10 (lean to fat ratio, although I don't know who is checking these metrics) - enough fat so it is not dry but not so much that it is greasy.

Although I know folks who will grind their own, I buy grocery packaged. For special occaisions, ground sirloin or chuck. Otherwise, plain old ground beef gets the call.

I do not like burgers bloody and I don't think it is particularly food safe. Too much surface area for e. coli and other crap to feed - it is not like a steak or a roast. I never buy or eat frozen ground beef that comes from a million farms and is all mixed together - hard to trace where it came from.

It should be illegal to call plant or turkey-based products "burgers".

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 09:05:00 pm by DrG »
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline esepecesito

• Regular Contributor
Re: The Mighty Burger
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 05:53:49 pm »

I do not like burgers bloody and I don't think it is particularly food safe. Too much surface area for e. coli and other crap to feed - it is not like a steak or a roast. I never buy or eat frozen ground beef that comes from a million farms and is all mixed together - hard to trace where it came from.

AMEN!  :clap:

Once in a very known chain somewhere in Europe. I asked for a Burger and they asked for the "grade of cooking" I was shocked. My reply: "man, it's not a steak! it's an hamburger. Is like asking cooking grade of a pizza. WTF?! Just a Burger as it should be, and it is NOT with blood!" Because they confuse juicy with bloody there... So yes. Bloody burger is asking for food poisoning. Even when made with care. E Coli is literally everywhere! That does not mean I want to eat a piece of wood... so... it must be right done.

About non beef. I'm ok with people eating other things. Just make a name for it, and leave us in peace   :scared:

Now... shitstorm starts below  :=\

The following users thanked this post: DrG

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 07:29:57 pm »
If I'm making a burger at home I grind my own meat and add bacon & seasonings to the grind - The prevailing wisdom seems to be that the chance of bacteria in whole cuts when ground is much, much less than commercial ground stuff so I feel ok with doing burgers medium rare with it.

When doing burgers with store-bought ground beef I try to hit medium.

Just personal preference, your mileage might vary etc.

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 12:21:25 pm »

In France, it has been illegal to call plant based food items by meat based names, for example 'mince', 'steak', 'milk', 'burger', 'sausage', 'bacon' since 2018

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/france-ban-vegetarian-vegan-meat-terms-packaging-burgers-steak-bacon-a8315626.html

Personally, I agree. If you wish to have a plant based diet, that is fine, no problem. But if you want to eat steak, bacon, ham, mince, burgers and sausages then those are made from meat.

The following users thanked this post: DrG, esepecesito

Offline DrGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 01:45:19 am »
If I'm making a burger at home I grind my own meat and add bacon & seasonings to the grind - The prevailing wisdom seems to be that the chance of bacteria in whole cuts when ground is much, much less than commercial ground stuff so I feel ok with doing burgers medium rare with it.

When doing burgers with store-bought ground beef I try to hit medium.

Just personal preference, your mileage might vary etc.

Bacon right into the grind....hmmm I would love to try that!
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf