Off Topic Hobbies > Cooking

Tomato soup and cheese toastie (Brian Lagerstrom)

<< < (6/7) > >>

David Hess:

--- Quote from: DrG on December 08, 2021, 03:36:30 pm ---Sorry, I could not get past the American Cheese-like substance - and that's the kindest thing I can say about that.
--- End quote ---

We it actually American Cheese?  There is also "pasteurized process cheese product" typically sold right next to it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processed_cheese#United_States_2

Halcyon:
I made this recipe again over the weekend but this time instead of using just a good quality (Australian) extra virgin olive oil, I substituted 25% of the oil with olive oil infused with truffles. The truffles definitely gave it a different flavour and the smell was phenomenal. If you do decide to use an infused oil, I'd suggest go easy rather than a 1:1 swap as they do tend to over-power. You can always add more later during serving.

dunkemhigh:

--- Quote ---olive oil infused with truffles
--- End quote ---

Pushing the boat out, there!

Just in case anyone was wondering, this soup is fabulous cold from the fridge too.

SilverSolder:
Had to try it after all the glowing reviews here...

I made it in a large stainless steel saucepan (didn't have anything else big enough), pretty much according to the recipe but with "pedestrian" rather than de-luxe canned tomatoes.  It was in the oven for a lot longer than the recipe called for (at least 2x) in order to get some caramelisation happening in this shape of pan (it would be easier with a flatter vessel!).

I blended the soup and decided not to strain it - I liked the structure / mushiness that came out of the (hand) blender, didn't see the need for straining it.

For the toasties, I used Provolone, Gruyere, and American cheese (just out of curiosity - it tasted great overall, but it didn't outperform a good Cheddar and its low melting point is not really necessary).   I used the Toastie bags to make them, and got amazing results out of our fairly large toaster.  Toastie bags are an underrated method, if you haven't tried them, I highly recommend them - soooo easy, and sooo good results!

All in all, a huge success with everyone who sampled the wares.   Winner, winner, chicken(?) dinner!

dunkemhigh:
Might have to look into (ha ha) these toastie bag things. Can you get single-use ones? One of my bugbears is a bunch of vacpac bags on the draining board after being washed, and them still being in the way there days later because they take forever to dry. I just sling 'em in the bin when no-one's looking...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version