Author Topic: Tomato soup and cheese toastie (Brian Lagerstrom)  (Read 4061 times)

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
Tomato soup and cheese toastie (Brian Lagerstrom)
« on: December 08, 2021, 07:56:45 am »
Brian Lagerstrom is easily my favourite food Youtuber. The thing I love about him is that he is a proper chef who shares his little tips, but will teach you simple recipes (and variations thereof) which you can quite easily replicate at home without expensive gadgets or ingredients and the results are always phenomenal! I also love that he defaults to metric measurements (but provides US customary units if you really insist on using an obsolete system  :box:).

If there is one single recipe that I have tried recently that I'd pick as a good one to start with, it's this:

That tomato soup is absolutely amazing when oven roasted and the combination of dijon/mayonnaise/butter for the toasted sandwich is absolutely on-point. Honestly, give it a go, it will not disappoint!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 07:59:31 am by Halcyon »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Tomato soup and cheese toastie (Brian Lagerstrom)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 03:36:30 pm »
I watched it all (including the embedded sponsor commercial) and was particularly interested because I had just made (and posted) a toasted cheese sandwich. My thoughts:

The guy obviously has skills which, unfortunately, appear to be compromised by a "I break all the rules" but that's what I do angle..

The tomato soup looked wonderful - from start to finish. I never even thought of the baking instead of pot style but I can see how that could be both a  taste and less-effort advantage - note also the tomato paste, which we discussed in one of these threads. I especially liked the olive oil instead of cream.

Sorry, I could not get past the American Cheese-like substance - and that's the kindest thing I can say about that.
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 09:16:44 pm »
Sorry, I could not get past the American Cheese-like substance - and that's the kindest thing I can say about that.

I don't either. Almost no one eats that stuff here. I swapped it out for some normal cheddar cheese, or even mozzarella would work well.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 10:36:52 pm »
Gordon Bennett!

Decided to give this one a go, bearing in mind I only have a stick blender and no filter. Used chipotle chilli paste instead of the real thing, just cheddar between 'american' cheese, etc. Didn't even ask the missus what she thought because I couldn't care less - it was bloody excellent. And now I feel just like Mr Creosote.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 12:12:02 am »
That's probably going just a little too far - you need to see the cheese ooze out to know it's done, so if it's already oozing before you start...

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2021, 12:09:47 am »
Gordon Bennett!

Decided to give this one a go, bearing in mind I only have a stick blender and no filter. Used chipotle chilli paste instead of the real thing, just cheddar between 'american' cheese, etc. Didn't even ask the missus what she thought because I couldn't care less - it was bloody excellent. And now I feel just like Mr Creosote.

I also used a stick blender, it wasn't as smooth as the food processor but it was pretty close. If you don't strain it, I'm certain the flavour won't change, you just won't get that silky smooth texture. You may not care either way.

I think the key here is the oven roasting to develop some of the more complex flavours. I was impressed how flavourful it was for such a simple recipe. I'm going to try a similar method with pumpkin soup.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 01:18:49 am »
You may not care either way

Indeed, I don''t :)

My missus is suspicious that baking it adds much to the flavour. I think I might try it on the stove and see how that turns out.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2021, 03:21:08 am »
You may not care either way

Indeed, I don''t :)

My missus is suspicious that baking it adds much to the flavour. I think I might try it on the stove and see how that turns out.

I was thinking about crock-potting it [slow cooker] but I might try to duplicate what he has done the first time. It is a cold weather treat...I was a wondering a little about all the straining also...still making it once the way the recipe says might be worthwhile. Shows some pics if you make it, pot or whatever - ok?

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2021, 08:08:42 am »
Never thought to take pics, sorry. On exit some protruding tomatoes were definitely black, and the rim of my pan was similarly burnt stuff which was a right hassle to clean up, just like his.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2021, 08:15:14 am »
I saw that he put raw onions in with the tomatoes. That is a big no no. You always should caramelize the onions in the pan before adding other ingredients to bring out the sweetness and develop the flavour. I think if you made the soup on the stove top by first cooking the onions, then adding the tomato, herbs and seasoning, then simmering for a while before blending, you would get much the same result. Plus you would only have one saucepan to clean.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2021, 08:29:23 am »
I saw that he put raw onions in with the tomatoes. That is a big no no

Why is that? I put raw red onions on a salad - they are much more like spring onions than yellow ones. Nevertheless, in some recipes I used yellow onions and just boil them without frying first.

And... the garlic - does the same with that whereas usually you'd put it in as the onions are finishing. It ain't poisonous (like, say cashew nuts) and if the flavour is different, surely that's what it's all about.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2021, 08:36:20 am »
Why is that? I put raw red onions on a salad - they are much more like spring onions than yellow ones. Nevertheless, in some recipes I used yellow onions and just boil them without frying first.

It's about getting more flavour, and more complex flavours. The talk about oven roasting somehow bringing out more flavour, it's the same thing. Except when the onions are submerged in the liquid, they won't get roasted.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2021, 08:26:48 pm »
Bit more on this...

Mrs Dunkem can be something of a food snob and bakes her own bread. So when I did this I carefully hid both the plastic cheese and the Wharburtons white toastie. At half time she said she wanted another one but, of course, I hadn't prepared for a manufacturing run, so I said I could do it but it would be ten minutes or so. Far too long - "I want it NOW" - so instead she had a toasted slice of her sourdough (which took almost as long as frying the proper thing would have). I assumed it was to let me down gently.

Fast forward and I am suggesting another go but without the oven. Fine, she says, but it must have the toasted cheese sandwich. Hmmm. I think she might have drifted over to the dark side.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2021, 08:51:59 pm »
If anyone fancies a go at the more elaborate, less instant version of tomato soup, this video recently popped into my feed:

https://youtu.be/WnoAZrUFwS0

It needs a few more ingredients and a bit more time to prepare, but the results should be worth it.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2021, 11:12:44 pm »
This was my second attempt. Not much to see really (it's soup and toast) but I did cheat a bit and use a sandwich press rather than the stove top method. I prefer the crimped edges, especially when dealing with molten cheese that has a tendency to drip when you bite into it.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2021, 11:36:51 pm »
Nice.

I did the non-oven version tonight. It is definitely lacking substance, and I thought it tasted raw to start with (but after than the garlic and stuff shut down my critical faculties). I think it has to be either oven baked or the onions/garlic fried to start with. (So far as possible I used the very same ingredients/quantities as the first go).

Pro tip for the sandwich: yon chappy uses a wire tray to enable buttering (sorry, 'mayoing') of both side. I've setting on just doing one side, then once it's nicely toasting in the pan, doing the other before the flip. Much less messy.

As previously mentioned, seconds were required for the sandwich (the loaf I used is smaller than normal, so it a) fits two in a pan, and b) fits the cheese slice exactly). I figured I could pre-cook them then when we actually wanted them give them 30 secs or so in the microwave to get them pooling again. Well, that works but the bread gets to be too soggy to cut, and the cheese can be VERY hot indeed. I tried pre-cutting too, which was better, but still soggy. The solution I found worked best was to pre-cook and then serve cold when required. The bread is again not crisp, although not actually soggy, but the major difference is that the cheese is much more tasty! And the heat contrast is good too.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2021, 12:46:21 am »
Nice.
Pro tip for the sandwich: yon chappy uses a wire tray to enable buttering (sorry, 'mayoing') of both side. I've setting on just doing one side, then once it's nicely toasting in the pan, doing the other before the flip. Much less messy.

Same here. No need to do both sides to start.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2021, 12:52:14 am »
Great minds, etc :)

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2021, 01:11:41 am »
I find that when toasting a sandwich in a pan, it is very difficult to get the degree of browning just right. It is very easy to end up with burned and blackened sandwiches.

This is why I think it is more traditional to toast sandwiches under a grill/broiler, so you can watch them carefully.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2021, 01:24:53 am »
Normally, yes. But in this case it's actually being fried - the butter in the spread is doing the business. Have to admit I've never before had an inside-out sandwich, never mind tried to grill it!

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2021, 01:41:36 am »
This was my second attempt. Not much to see really (it's soup and toast) but I did cheat a bit and use a sandwich press rather than the stove top method. I prefer the crimped edges, especially when dealing with molten cheese that has a tendency to drip when you bite into it.

Looks good.

So, what do you rate the soup as using a scale 1=cheapo generic canned tomato soup and 5=fantastic?

Never had a panini press  or whatever it is called. In any event, the soup is the most interesting to me - I already know how to make good grilled cheese sammies, under a broiler or in pan :)

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2021, 01:57:50 am »
Normally, yes. But in this case it's actually being fried - the butter in the spread is doing the business. Have to admit I've never before had an inside-out sandwich, never mind tried to grill it!

I know it's being fried, but I speak from experience, having had to put too many slices of charcoal in the bin  :(

One important thing to know about butter, is that it burns. Butter and a hot pan is a very terrible combination.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2021, 04:56:22 am »
So, what do you rate the soup as using a scale 1=cheapo generic canned tomato soup and 5=fantastic?

It would easily have to be one of the best soups I've ever tasted. I know you can't really compare this to say, a chunky soup, or a chicken soup etc... (different categories). I'd easily put it somewhere between 4.5 and 5.0.

I personally added a little more chilli as I like it spicy. I think you could introduce subtle differences by using different stocks as well. Maybe try a good quality (or even home made) chicken stock as opposed to the powdered/gelified instant stuff you can buy, or maybe even vegetable stock?

One important thing to know about butter, is that it burns. Butter and a hot pan is a very terrible combination.

I have made many, many toasted sandwiches on the frying pan. If your butter is burning, your pan is too hot. Low and slow is far more controlled and yields better results. You want to size your burner roughly to the size of the bread in the pan so you get nice even heat (no point in using a small burner as you'll get a hot spot in the middle of the toast). You also want the inside to be nice and hot so you need to allow enough time for the heat to penetrate into the sandwich.

Personally if I'm making a toastie in a pan, somewhere in the ballpark of 5-10 minutes in total is what you should be aiming at. If you have to flip it a few times to give one side a "rest", so be it
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 04:59:52 am by Halcyon »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2022, 08:42:08 pm »
So, visitors coming and a brand new stockpot to be christened. Decided to do this again but this time I would fry the onion and garlic first, then follow the original in the oven.

Well... I had intended just to sample this and not actually have serving, but wound up taking rather more than my fair share :)

This one was definitely better than the previous non-oven approach, but I think it lacked something I can't quite identify. I think the original, where the onion and garlic are untouched before shoving in the oven, adds that little bit of magic.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf