Author Topic: Wireless meat temperature probes... that work in the oven?  (Read 6737 times)

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
Wireless meat temperature probes... that work in the oven?
« on: September 24, 2022, 11:28:30 am »
meater.com have a few different meat probes that apparently work in BBQ's, ovens, smokers, grills, etc....

They obviously need a source of power to transmit data and come in different RF types, including Bluetooth and WiFi.

My question is, how the hell are these things working in such high ambient temperatures (up to 275°C)?

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: Wireless meat temperature probes... that work in the oven?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 11:35:08 am »
My guess is the way that probe they sent to Venus worked, for a while...
iratus parum formica

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 11:37:36 am »
Seems one for the dogy section :)

But apart from the window most ovens have steel sides and are most likely grounded, so how good a reception of the signal will there be?

And indeed at high temperatures how is that working well with batteries?

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 11:42:33 am »
The electronics and battery (or perhaps supercap) are on the sharp end, there's a safety notch beyond which it has to be inserted.

So as long as you don't forget to turn it off and burn the meat to a crisp, it survives just fine.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 11:44:31 am by Marco »

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 11:54:36 am »
Lithium cells are available for a working temperature of 150°C (https://www.customcells.org/products-development/high-temperature-technology/).

The probe battery is stated to be 2.4V and 3mAh, which implies it may be lithium based and very small.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 12:01:49 pm »
meater.com have a few different meat probes that apparently work in BBQ's, ovens, smokers, grills, etc....

They obviously need a source of power to transmit data and come in different RF types, including Bluetooth and WiFi.

My question is, how the hell are these things working in such high ambient temperatures (up to 275°C)?

if you are concerned about the temperature of the meat it is usually because you want to hit something in the mid 50s Celcius
so they put all the electronics in the end that is inside the meat

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 12:29:53 pm »
I would think that the idea of the sensitive Electronics being up the pointy end is more than likely with the aerial out the blunt end.

3mAH is the claimed probe capacity so a Supercap would make most sense and likely also form factor in the barrel.

Make sure to always insert the MEATER probe into your meat past the safety notch to avoid damage to the internal sensor.

Seems like this is how they keep the electronics below 100C by packing them thermally inboard of this point. They are likely using 'sensor' as some sort of cover for this protection of the electronics.

Unless you are going to rotate meat on a stick use one of the many Wireless options with just a probe inside whatever you are cooking for a whole lot less $.

Below Not a MEATER but another one off evilbay Supercap mentioned. eBay auction: #294780551065

Similar too and $56 AUD on special eBay auction: #134178585390

« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 12:53:44 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 01:01:51 pm »
Unless you are going to rotate meat on a stick use one of the many Wireless options with just a probe inside whatever you are cooking for a whole lot less $.

For the 5 digit salary crowd with a smoker and their own wood fired pizza oven in the backyard which they fire up a couple times a year, these kinds of toys won't ever put a dent in budget compared to what they are already spending on their cooking hobby. You need bigger and/or more recurring expenses for money to start mattering for upper middle class western consumer whores, which there are plenty of. Spending this kind of money on restaurants a couple times a week is how rich people stay poor, not by buying these kinds of toys.

With Meater much of what you're paying for is the slick app.

Offline bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 05:37:38 pm »

I have the Meater Block.
There is a mark on the probe, and strict instructions to stick the probe into the meat, until it reaches the mark.
I think they specify max 100C, on the part that is supposed to be covered in the target.

The rest is quite heat resistent.

A neat thing is that the probe transmits two temps, meat (target) temp , and probe ambient temp.

/Bingo
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 05:39:58 pm by bingo600 »

Offline vivi-d

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2022, 08:27:14 pm »
You could always go with a basic dial thermometer without all the electronics. Just have to look in the windows to check if it's reached the right temp.
The nastier the flux, the shinier the solder!

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2022, 10:34:15 pm »
Some while back I splashed on a ThermoPro TPO7 from Amazon. As you might notice, it comprises a sender unit and receiver (so you can monitor your whatever that's in the oven from out in the garden and similar). I like that the display is three colour: blue when it is under, green when it is within some figure (I think about 7C) from liftoff, and red when it's reached the programmed temperature.

I am currently using it to monitor sugar temperatures and actually have the sender and receiver next to each other (since I am stirring the stuff). Sender would be fine on its own, but the receiver has all the clever bits in.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2023, 05:48:17 pm »
In late November, I purchased another version of wireless thermometer labeled Namon (attached) for about $67 including a $20 coupon.  I had planned on using it before New Years, but bad weather changed family visits, and my use was delayed.  I was not impressed.  It did provide wireless monitoring in theory but not much else useful.  Its update time is rather slow.  I assume that is to preserve battery life in the probe.  I did not actually test it with meat in the oven.  The LCD screen was defective, and it has been returned.

I reverted to my DIY TC-based smart thermometer, and it ran parallel with a much older Fluke TC gauge for New Years.
1) The wires are a little inconvenient but then the probe doesn't need to be recharged.
2) The two recorded temperatures were comparable.
2) My DIY effort is still in development.  Currently, it gives a predicted "done" time for beef based on the observed temperature profile.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 05:51:03 pm by jpanhalt »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2023, 06:15:30 pm »
If you're in the market for such a thing, here's another example to consider:

https://combustion.inc/products/predictive-thermometer-and-display

It specifies temperature limits as follows:

Upper half temperature limits: -20°C to 300°C
Lower half temperature limits: -20°C to 100°C

Clearly there is some good thermal engineering going on (or at least, one hopes so).

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2023, 07:12:04 pm »
Here's my favorite online calculator: http://up.csail.mit.edu/science-of-cooking/home-screen.html
It's been up for several years.

Attached is my current effort with last year's roast.  Not quite done with code, but everything fits in the little box with a lithium battery.  LCD backlight turns off automatically and can be manually turned off (2nd button on left) to the save the battery.  It's a transflective version and can be easily read with the BL off.  I don't spend a lot of time one it, but it's fun to play with.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf