Author Topic: $9 Non-Profit Auduino on Indiegogo  (Read 20232 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
$9 Non-Profit Auduino on Indiegogo
« on: July 20, 2013, 04:14:03 am »
I do like this, a non-profit Arduino campaign, and someone who has no intention of turning it into a business.  :-

http://igg.me/at/9duino/x/3963035

Offline CrosseyeJack

• Contributor
Re: $9 Non-Profit Auduino on Indiegogo
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 05:00:26 am »
Personally I've not done anything on an Arduino for a while and I would just breadboard an at mega if I were to use one again. But a drinking buddy of mine recently showed an interest in tinkering with programmable electronics and for the cost I just put my name down for one on his behalf.

For less then £8/2 and half pints (plus a usb micro cable and CD for the ide and some tutorials in it, but I have those around the house) I can maybe give him something to tinker with, it was just one of those things were I couldn't see a reason to just say no.

For the cost I see them as great gifts for those around you who might want to tinker and even if they lose interest its not the end of the world.

EDIT: My point being even if you have an original Arduino or you program your own atmega's with the Arduino bootloader you might have a friend or know of a kid who is interested in doing a bit of "interfacing with the real world" and for the price (plus a few components out of your own stock, LEDS (throw in  couple IR LEDS), resistors, some transistors, maybe few optocoupers) even if they give up after an afternoon and go back to Call of Doodie its not the end of the world, but you never know, you might get them building their own TV-B-GONE and annoying I mean showing their folks what they can do.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 05:39:43 am by CrosseyeJack »

BulletMagnet83

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 02:15:20 pm »
I might buy the 3-board perk just to have some "so cheap they're almost throwaway" boards to leave permanently installed in things! I wonder how high that funds meter is going to get by the end of the campaign?

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 03:49:44 pm »
I will buy a couple just to play around with usb staff. Just as a dev board for avr-gcc.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline 4to20Milliamps

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 04:13:49 pm »
Projects like this are more like it, it's an outstanding value and he's doing it for all the right reasons.

and there are SOME handy things you can do with and arduino:

http://robottini.altervista.org/arduino-and-real-time-charts-in-excel

Arduino curve tracer
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:38:13 pm by 4to20Milliamps »

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 05:13:06 pm »
Nice find. Picked up a few for myself too. Thanks Dave.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 08:03:56 pm »
This poor guy is going to regret the huge headache he just got himself into  :clap:

Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 09:08:36 pm »
Not to poo-poo on his project but you can already get boards like that from China for about the same price. I've even seen some "Funduino" branded Mega 256 boards for about $14 including shipping.

I'd really like it if someone could come up with a cheaper clone of the Arduino Due so I can start playing with some ARM stuff.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 10:40:54 pm »
Projects like this are more like it, it's an outstanding value and he's doing it for all the right reasons.

Indeed, and that's what I like about this.
It's not like a Tangibot "I want to start a company just copying other people's work and improving nothing" attitude.
He may very well regret it when he has to pack and ship 10K boards!

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 11:36:21 pm »
I'll be getting some too - but just for transparency, this project has some ties to another one that has been under discussion here for a few months (and which has quite a bit of drama): https://www.eevblog.com/forum/crowd-funded-projects/smartduino-real-project-with-deceptive-info/

Notice the "partner logo" under the video.

Harold works for SmartMaker, and this is a project he is doing on his own time (with support from his boss). The drama comes in because SmartMaker has still only shipped a small percentage of the products that were supposed to be shipped over 6 months ago, and backers there immediately questioned the allocation of resources to other efforts.

I'm not stirring the pot. This was bound to be noticed at some point.

Harold seems to be a nice genuine guy, and it's hard to argue with a $9 arduino clone (the build quality should be quite good - from what I've seen of the boards shipped by SmartMaker, they are pretty well-made).

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 12:10:17 am »
Very neat project...and I hope this guy has a VERY good handle on all his costs, because it's almost impossible for a project not to have hidden expenses, and if he has planned for a break even, those expenses mean losing money.

But certainly this is the moral intent of crowd funding.... Good on this guy.  I'll order some in support for sure.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 01:51:28 am »
I'll be getting some too - but just for transparency, this project has some ties to another one that has been under discussion here for a few months (and which has quite a bit of drama): https://www.eevblog.com/forum/crowd-funded-projects/smartduino-real-project-with-deceptive-info/

Notice the "partner logo" under the video.

Harold works for SmartMaker, and this is a project he is doing on his own time (with support from his boss). The drama comes in because SmartMaker has still only shipped a small percentage of the products that were supposed to be shipped over 6 months ago, and backers there immediately questioned the allocation of resources to other efforts.

Thanks very much for pointing that out.

Harold seems to be a nice genuine guy, and it's hard to argue with a $9 arduino clone (the build quality should be quite good - from what I've seen of the boards shipped by SmartMaker, they are pretty well-made).

They're actually $11-12 Arduino clones.  Compare to these $12.50 ($13 w/USB cable) clones on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290933391239

It's not quite as good a deal, but you don't have to wait until September (or later), and there's less chance of drama.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:50:08 am by edavid »

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 01:55:33 am »
He may very well regret it when he has to pack and ship 10K boards!

They are being shipped from the assembler in China... I doubt he will even be there.

Offline tesla

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 09:38:46 pm »
I've sent $15 last monday and bought the "1 board perk" ... then I come here and find that I'm not alone! That's good to know  :D
By the way, I also have some "True arduinos" and china clones but ... I don't know ... I liked the idea

Offline FoXX

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 07:39:00 am »
The limit is now reached :clap:

It was started as a campaign running for 35 days with the goal to manufacture at least 1,000 of these boards. A dream. It ended a week ahead of schedule after I had to limit the quantity to 15,000 boards. What can I say? Even in my wildest dreams I would not have imagined this outcome.

Thank You, thank you, thank you all!!!!

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 08:06:54 pm »
I thought this thread could use an update...

I was one of the contributors for this Arduino, but on Kickstarter ... figured I already have PIC and the pickit 3 and having an arduino wouldn't hurt...

Got the package with everything directly from Hong Kong on Friday.

Overall board looks ok, a couple of smd parts moved a bit in the oven but it's nothing serious. Other than that the board looks fine, the extra stuff is nice (leds, 9v to power jack cable is cool, the mini breadboard is kinda pointless).. the usb cable is something I don't like (flat, no ferrite beads) but hey, it was free...

Pictures below at around 1600px wide something... if anyone wants larger size I can post the large ones (3200x*)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 08:11:48 pm by mariush »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 05:15:02 am »
Still waiting for mine, but this is Oz.
Massively oversubscribed but still shipped way ahead of schedule.
Apart form the ridiculous email verification fopar, a very well executed campaign.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 03:40:01 pm »
Still waiting for mine, but this is Oz.
Massively oversubscribed but still shipped way ahead of schedule.
Apart form the ridiculous email verification fopar, a very well executed campaign.

I agree, but of course it should have been, since there was no design work required.  Funny that the same people did the super-ambitious campaign first, then the easy one second.  I wonder what comes next.

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 05:48:41 pm »
What is the email verification fopar? Did I miss something?

You can go to the order verification page (it isn't password or unique-code protected), enter in any backer's email address, and it will A) confirm that is in fact their email registered with IGG, and B) show you their shipping address - which for 95% or more will be their home address.

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 05:51:04 pm »
I agree, but of course it should have been, since there was no design work required.  Funny that the same people did the super-ambitious campaign first, then the easy one second.  I wonder what comes next.

Third one is already underway - the "Arduino Basic Connections" book.

I get the impression that several more campaigns are in pipeline too.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 09:57:49 pm »
Got mine.  Looks great.  Can't believe he did 15,000 boards - but he did.

Offline ijchan223

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 12:30:33 am »
man, that looks nice, wish i saw this while it was running. they did an amazing job.

Offline CrosseyeJack

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 05:07:40 am »
man, that looks nice, wish i saw this while it was running. they did an amazing job.

While it was nice to pick a few up, you can still get fairly cheap Arduino Leonardo's on ebay. I just saw on from a seller with decent rep here in the UK for less then £2 more then the igg campaign were selling them at. Ok it doesn't come with the "kit" but that was something that was added later on in the campaign.

Shop around, you will find them for a decent price, for example -  http://hobbycomponents.com/index.php/dvbd/dvbd-ardu/ardu-dvbd/arduino-compatible-r3-leonardo-latest-model.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf