Author Topic: A cool Kickstarter I found - JACK The WiFi Guitar Cable  (Read 17188 times)

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
Re: A cool Kickstarter I found - JACK The WiFi Guitar Cable
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2015, 10:34:07 pm »
Not sure about the IPhone recording posts.

Trust me an IPhone or even a good PC soundcard doesn't come close to the quality of a decent interface.

Oh don't misunderstand me, it's not the actual phone or PC that does the encoding, they are just the "storage" part of the recording.

A typical scenario would be a MacBook Air with some external 2-ch audio interface from MOTU or M-Audio etc., it's pretty common among musicians. No need for "cutting edge" equipment (suppose you mean several k's of multi-channel equipment). The iPhone thing is something you would use to record while at a friend's place or similar when you prefer mobility.

I don't know the ProTools or melodyne you're talking about (rings a bell but drawing a blank at the moment), but software like Sibelius or Cubase  is pretty common on apple computers. 

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 01:22:21 am »
So the Iphone is only a storage device and has no part in the analogue chain, if so then it will have zero effect on sound, agreed.

Had a quick look at the history of Cubase, I remember it starting on the Atari ST, but I thought it went to PC then, but it was Apple after ST, then PC too.
Didn't know that!

Motu makes some great interfaces, Maudio ... I steered clear, well clear!
Last interface was EchoAudio.

The PT HD systems was the ones with rack of hardware required.
PT lite was native, but didn't even compensate processor cycles for effect plug-ins, so it introduced massive phase distortion and you had to manually adjust to correct phase!
Again, I have no idea what they have now!

On apple now I think pro tools and logic audio are the weapons of choice.
Sibelious was more a notation bridge I thought, and I also think it has died.

Melodyne is a software plug-in, an audio effect, one of millions out there now, but they do tend be tools that can define a sound, like different synthesisers (which also come in a plug in).
If cubase doesn't have the reverb, guitar amp modelled sound, Hammond organ sound, just use a software "plug-in".
I mentioned that particularly(Melodyne DNA) as everyone was raving about the technology when it was being released (I stopped doing music around this time).
IMVHO it is a bloody awful thing that has been unleashed upon the world, it is the same as autotune, but it can "look" at a polyphonic sound (eg a guitar chord), separate a single element and allow editing of that note alone.
So, you can change a minor chord to a major after it has been recorded. That is an audio stream, not midi data!

Helps the talentless hide their lack of ability, and also allows record companies to keep pumping out the same shit with another pretty face, year in year out.

We might be meandering off topic here a little :P

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2015, 01:48:27 am »
Although for "work" I use Windows almost exclusively, except when I'm testing cross platform compatibility, I do arrange music as a hobby for making backing tracks and sheet music for my sax and keyboard playing. I battled for a long time with Windows and various packages, but as soon as I tried OSX I could tell right away the OS had sound integrated into it from the start. Add to that packages like Logic Pro being a reasonable cost for such a fully featured system, and you can see why musos go for their stuff.

Regarding Apple mobile devices, they've had USB audio host support in iOS for as long as I can remember, certainly back to iOS 3, whereas Android has only just started thinking about it. That's why there are tons of audio interfaces for Apple based mobile devices and almost nothing for Android.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2015, 02:06:14 am »
If there isn't already a competing commercial unit there will probably be one shortly.

I just gook delivery of a couple of Audio Technica System 10 wireless mics which use WiFi. They seem to work quite well in a very WiFi intensive office setting. THey even have a guitar version.

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 02:28:43 am »
Ah bloody hell Richard, I forgot about you being an audio buff!

So it could be a flyer then?

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2015, 05:57:23 am »

I've been doing audio for 50 years. And video for 30 years.

Oh, I think it is legitimate.  It is just a "re-mix" of now-viable mass market technology (inexpensive WiFi chipsets, etc.)
It may be ill timed. Audio Technica is only the first of mainstream audio companies to produce a range of WiFi wireless audio products.
I expect other manufacturers to follow suit this year.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2015, 06:36:57 am »
You'd be insane to use it on stage - too much risk of interference.

And one great Pete Townshend windmill move and your "Jack" device snaps off and goes flying.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2015, 06:39:20 am »
quote from their kickstarter page....
Why 4 years..? Because this is a total re-engineering of Wi-Fi to suit real time audio, and we are audio geeks so we want to do it right.

what they mean by re-engineering of WiFi ??? that sounds like bullshit to me...  either it's WiFi or it's not WiFi anymore because it was re-engineered...

Maybe they're just using it as a term for novices to understand.  Maybe they mean "we've come up with our own radio technology that operates on the ISM band"
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2015, 12:08:16 pm »

I've been doing audio for 50 years. And video for 30 years.

Oh, I think it is legitimate.  It is just a "re-mix" of now-viable mass market technology (inexpensive WiFi chipsets, etc.)
It may be ill timed. Audio Technica is only the first of mainstream audio companies to produce a range of WiFi wireless audio products.

Yes, followed your posts on GS and think we talked a couple of times.
I meant would have been easier if I sent PM and asked you to take a look, instead of my meanderings.

So conclusion is, its possible to use wifi for this application, but AT doing it is one thing and these guys another.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2015, 12:38:43 pm »
If AT are doing this for wireless mics, I assume they have some trick to deal with the latency, but I can't imagine what they could do which wouldn't break the normal behaviour of 802.11. Wi-FI has significant latency when you are the only user. When you are sharing the channel, which is unavoidable for most people these days, the latency bounces all over the place. There's no really effective QoS scheme. 802.11 gives very quirky results with VoIP.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2015, 01:36:12 pm »
Of course AT is not publishing their proprietary scheme, and I doubt they are using the complete data-packet 802.x communication scheme. But of course they have a scheme that is compatible and inter-operable with existing 802.x services so they don't step on each other. 

I have not done a specific video test yet, but informal tests show that the latency is imperceptible.  I would not have believed that possible using the traditional packet-data schemes of 802.x  Certainly wireless mic products using the standard Bluetooth protocols exhibit quite obvious latency.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2015, 02:30:03 pm »
I wonder how they deal with packet loss below the link layer? Typical 802.11 maintains connection at the link layer even if it's UDP traffic on top to make things more resilient, but that's going to introduce latency.

My point is that if it really is WiFi, how does it avoid being interfered with without retires, and therefore delay?

I would agree with you though that it probably wouldn't touch the IP stack.

Edit: just had a look at the manual, does not seem to be WiFi at all, have I got the right product? http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resource_library/literature/49804680d3ddaae2/p52402_03_system10_om.pdf
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 02:33:45 pm by Howardlong »

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2015, 05:38:35 pm »
Yes, that is the gadget.  They claim to use "triple redundancy". They send each packet twice ("time diversity"), on two different channels ("frequency diversity") and using two different antennas ("space diversity"). Both the transmitter and receiver have two different antennas.  And it scans all the WiFi frequencies and selects primary and secondary channels automatically and tells the transmitter which channels to use.  It also hops channels automatically if there is any packet loss.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2015, 05:55:00 pm »
That makes sense. It's not really WiFi at all, other than that it's aware of other stuff in band that it avoids primarily by sniffing band utilisation. I would imagine it's smart enough to be dynamic too.

I am sure that, being from AT, they'll have spent a lot of effort perfecting it. Dare I ask the pricing?

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2015, 06:09:09 pm »
Because the technology (WiFi chipsets, etc.) are so ubiquitous and inexpensive these days, the price of these things is significantly LOWER than the previous contender for "Lowest Cost Decent Wireless Kit" which was the Sennheiser G3 series (the one that Dave did a "teardown" video in EEV # 571

The units that I got (the camera-mount receiver with body pack/lav mic transmitter) was US$450 each. While an equivalent Sennheiser G3 system is almost US$200 more.  I Think AT has a killer product there and others (Sennheiser, et.al.) will follow suit if they want to continue to compete.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2015, 11:45:07 pm »
And, as if right on cue, Rode (famous Australian microphone brand) has come out with a 2.4GHz wireless mic product nearly identical to the Audio-Technica System-10.
http://www.rodemic.com/wireless/filmmaker

I published a 22-point feature comparison here:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?332924-RODE-Announces-New-Wireless-Sytem-and-Two-New-Shotgun-Mics&p=1986513146#post1986513146

Offline sunnyhighway

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2015, 05:50:05 am »
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?332924-RODE-Announces-New-Wireless-Sytem-and-Two-New-Shotgun-Mics&p=1986513146#post1986513146

I hate to say it, but the dominant words in this comparison are: presumably, likely and unknown.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2015, 06:24:25 am »
I hate to say it, but the dominant words in this comparison are: presumably, likely and unknown.
Well, all we have to go on are the advertising blurbs from Rode.
OTOH, I actually have two of the AT systems in my hands.
The Rode may actually be a better deal than the AT. We will see.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2015, 06:30:31 am »
And, as if right on cue, Rode (famous Australian microphone brand) has come out with a 2.4GHz wireless mic product nearly identical to the Audio-Technica System-10.
http://www.rodemic.com/wireless/filmmaker

Using 44.1k samples/second is a bit old school. I haven't seen anything new that doesn't use 48k (or some wacky multiple of that) for quite a while.

Offline ehughes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2015, 04:33:08 pm »
For an electric guitar,  44.1KHz is overkill.

1.)  Once the wavelength of of the vibration is on the order of the pickup aperture (1/2 inch to 1.5")  the frequency response starts to really roll off.   The pickup is essentially a spatial integrator at that point.
2.)  The response of the coil after self resonance drop off (@3-4Khz)
3.)  Most guitars play through amps which have ton controls that really knock everything above 2khz way down.
4.)  A typical guitar speaker system simply has no useful properties above 3-4Khz.
5.) The "meat" of the tone is in the 100-300 Range (Hz).    None one plays with control above 1-2 Khz as it is way to bright up there to be useful for electric guitar.   The inter-modulation products at these frequencies are horrific when do any kind of overdrive.

The electric guitar is a very low frequency instrument. A 24KHz Fs would be plenty.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2015, 05:24:35 pm »
Just because the main part of the "meat" is in the lower frequency range, doesn't mean that it doesn't have overtones.
I think it's OK to say 6 KHz for overtones and wanted harmonic distortion, then perhaps up to 10 kHz for some special things like sounds that strings can make.

There are a variety of "electric" guitars (semi-acoustic, piezo pickups etc) it's not just all plain old metal music in the 2kHz band.

24 KHz might be plenty as you say (and I'd agree) but I guess 44.1kHz is just more practical simply because it is available and a well known standard used in CD.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2015, 08:11:59 pm »
But they are NOT using the WiFi 802.x protocols.  They are only using the (free) 2.4 GHz ISM band.
WiFi does NOT "own" the 2.4 GHz band, (or the 5.75 GHz ISM band either)

However AT, Rode, et.al. are not stupid. They know that their gadgets will be competing for bandwidth with existing band users (WiFi, BlueTooth, and even microwave ovens!)
So the automatically scan the band before selecting the best channel to use (just like WiFi does).
Furthermore, since sending a single monaural audio stream doesn't take near as much bandwidth as WiFi, they apparently only use a single (or two) WLAN channel,
vs. standard WiFi which sprawls across five adjacent channels for each connection.  So, the wireless audio gadgets are more nimble to find their way through the WiFi jungle.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf