Author Topic: A new oscilloscope with wifi/lan/usb on indiegogo.com  (Read 25586 times)

Offline c9981Topic starter

A new oscilloscope with wifi/lan/usb on indiegogo.com
« on: June 03, 2015, 01:01:18 pm »
Deleted !
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:26:36 pm by c9981 »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Re: A new oscilloscope with wifi/lan/usb on indiegogo.com
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 01:28:13 pm »
You could at least try to use the right USB socket.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 01:38:29 pm »
What do you mean by ETS?

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 01:52:56 pm »
The communication type of the oscilloscope :

LAN:  RJ45 socket
WiFi:  wireless
USB: USB socket.

Please dont regard RJ45 socket as USB socket.

I think we all know wifi is wireless. The point was, you have two USB-A sockets. For a USB device.

Please don't regard us as dumb enough not to know the difference between an 8P8C and a USB socket.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 02:25:44 pm »
Input directly driving ADC? Then the impedance would be terrible!

High speed scopes usually have a 50ohm input impedance.

Traditional 1Mohm *10 probes are limited to, at best and with great care, a bandwidth of a few hundred MHz. "Low" impedance Z0 probes go to several GHz. See https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/scope-probe-reference-material/

The 50GS/s is more or less meaningless, since the front end bandwidth is a boring 50MHz!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:36:04 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 02:28:13 pm »
The 2 usb socket:
one for Oscilloscope and Debug
Another for extend.
If the 2 USB socket are same type,the usb line can be general .
If the 2 USB socket are different type,user will feel clearly .

Anyone has good idea about this ?

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb20_docs/usb_20_060115.zip

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 03:52:15 pm »
The 2 usb socket:
one for Oscilloscope and Debug
Another for extend.
If the 2 USB socket are same type,the usb line can be general .
If the 2 USB socket are different type,user will feel clearly .

Anyone has good idea about this ?

USB connectors are clearly defined.  Type A for host, type B for device.  You do not use a type A connector for a device.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 05:06:38 pm »
About USB socket,We must know usb A-A IS NOT strange .A-A is often found in usb product.

Only in cheap, non-compliant garbage!

If you want to get usb certify AND use USB LOGO,Maybe device must be USB-A OR USB-B.

If you want to do it properly and allow people to use normal cables, you must use the correct connector.

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 05:10:41 pm »
About USB socket,We must know usb A-A IS NOT strange
Yes, it is.

A-A is often found in usb product.
No, it's not.  I have never seen a device that is supposed to use an A-A cable.  The mere existence of these cables is a mystery to me.  I have never seen one in person, and I can not think of any application that should use one.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 05:12:22 pm »
Yes, it is.

No, it's not.  I have never seen a device that is supposed to use an A-A cable.  The mere existence of these cables is a mystery to me.  I have never seen one in person, and I can not think of any application that should use one.

It is sadly quite common for nasty crap from China to use them. I guess it's cheaper somehow.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 05:30:35 pm »
Yes, it is.

It is sadly quite common for nasty crap from China to use them. I guess it's cheaper somehow.
"nasty crap from " I feel you should stop to use this no polite words.we discuss technology.I think we should friendly.If you feel not good,pls visit other topic.

To usb A-B or A-A is not difficult, To Change A-B is not complex thing.Maybe at last usb-b will be used.

My sincere apologies. Is 'low quality goods of dubious value' more to your liking?

Allow me to attempt to clarify: There is no such thing as USB A-A. It is not USB. It cannot be, for it does not comply with the standards which define USB.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 05:33:39 pm »
I don't think the oscillator in this scope can meet the requirement of 50Gsps speed.

It's BNC, it's clearly just bullshit which hurts them more than helps, especially here ...

This isn't a high bandwidth sampling scope with some DIY sampling gate or high speed comparator.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 06:01:57 pm »
Flexible funding campaign for some piece of Chinese junk. Just pictures of PCBs and software as separate perks, that's rich.

If you really need a PC-based scope, just get a PicoScope.
Alex

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 06:16:56 pm »
This could be an interesting product. but i have a couple of technical questions.

64 samples to 4K of memory. That's very small... i'd like to see a few megs of memory
pretrigger/posttrigger ?

you have an 8 bit a/d convertor. how do you make 14 bits out of that ? or is there a misunderstanding somewhere.
input frequency for the logic analyser 250Mhz. but the sample clock is 100Mhz ?

0..5 volt input levels on the logic analyzer. what is the trigger level of the channels ? is it programmable ? ( i work on 1.2 and 1.8 volt logic. )

screen refresh rate ? how many waveforms a second ? i don't want a machine that takes a second to refresh its screen.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 06:44:54 pm »
I' d think refresh rate and speed in general will be limited by html5 performance.

And by the way, html based software would be the last thing i would be willing to use for test gear.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 06:47:49 pm »
I' d think refresh rate and speed in general will be limited by html5 performance.

And by the way, html based software would be the last thing i would be willing to use for test gear.

Websockets are bidirectional TCP/IP I don't see any problem with that part at all.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 07:22:37 pm »
pretrigger and posttrigger  can almost be full scale.maybe it is shorter few sampls than full scale.
good. but i'd like to see deep memory. 4k samples is nothing. a 54620 could do that 30 years ago...

you have an 8 bit a/d convertor. how do you make 14 bits out of that ? or is there a misunderstanding somewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 bit a/d convertor and 14 bits  D/A.not the same thing.
ah, i see. what is the dac used for on the y scale ? are you using it to apply a dc offset to the input before digitizing ?

input frequency for the logic analyser 250Mhz. but the sample clock is 100Mhz ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Max. input frequency is 250Mhz. the real time sample clock is 100Mhz .this is  not  contradiction.
ehh , you cant digitize a 250MHz signal with a 100MHz clock... especially not for a logic analyser. or are you combining input channels and interleaving them ?

also, i see a lot of these logic analyser thingies that use simply wires with grabbers at the end. no signal termination , no protection no shielded signals. kinda hard to convince me you can reliably trap signals over 100MHz.

0..5 volt input levels on the logic analyzer. what is the trigger level of the channels ? is it programmable ? ( i work on 1.2 and 1.8 volt logic. )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe you say:0V - 5V. it is not programmable.   the standard is 3.3V.Maybe the logic analyzer not fit you.

ok so you use the FPGA I/O voltage . does the FPGA have embedded schmitt triggers at its input ? or do we rely on 3.3 V CMOS levels.  if you use a dedicated i/o bank of the FPGA and you feed that from a programmable voltage regulator you could actually program the input levels.

screen refresh rate ? how many waveforms a second ? i don't want a machine that takes a second to refresh its screen.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The screen refresh rate  is depend on the smart device's speed and config. the max.  10fps to 100+fps is normal.

what is the dead time ? does the system keep capturing or is it frozen while refreshing the screen ?
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 08:18:03 pm »

I did - the PQ Labs touch screen overlays use that, along with a special A-A cable. It doesn't make it any less retarded, though.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 08:26:07 pm »
A html page can control hardware ,this is a Highlight of html5scope,I think.
Before you design a product,maybe you can program a html page and use html5scope to create the prototype at first.

No offense, but the last thing I want to do with a scope is to do web programming on it. People buy oscilloscopes to debug hardware, not to tinker with them. If this is the only advantage/selling point, then this is a toy and not a serious instrument. If a custom presentation of the measured data is needed, then a far more useful option is to be able to export the measurements in some sensible format so that they can be processed on a computer - e.g. in Matlab, Excel, what have you. Nobody is going to develop web apps for your scope, sorry.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 08:39:22 pm »
You also can use html5scope as the CPU board to make a wifi vehicle with camara.

Why the **** would I buy a $300 oscilloscope to do that?

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 09:15:44 pm »
I can take chips from famous companies too, it does not mean I will arrive at a design that has claimed performance. So far there is nothing to confirm any of your claims about quality of the product.

Show us some captured traces under different conditions and all this kind of stuff.

But again, at that price, it is not going to happen. You can buy a real scope for $300 designed by people, who use correct USB connectors, and work with it, instead of doing web-design.
Alex

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 09:23:29 pm »
Traditional scope is piece of hardware that sits on my desk. It can optionally  connect to PC.

Simply being new, does not make it good or useful.
Alex

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 09:32:26 pm »
Yes, and you have not shown us why this is good.

Working on a tablet? I have probes in my hands when I use the scope, there is no way for me to hold the tablet. And if I put down the tabled, how it would be different from a real scope?

What's wrong with wired connectivity? I'm not going anywhere from my scope.
Alex

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 09:37:35 pm »
I don't understand what's so big about it using HTML 5. That's a tool you use to make it, not something that should affect how we use it...

I gather there's a bit of a language barrier here preventing you from explaining why we should want this, but yeah... I don't know why I would want this.

It sounds like someone was looking for a problem to solve using HTML 5 and said "I know! I'll make an oscilloscope!", completely forgetting that the latter part of the idea is the hard part.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:40:03 pm by c4757p »
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 09:42:36 pm »
i think this idea is usefull a you can connect a frontend wirelessly to a visualisation system without being restricted by an operating system ( the endless windows / limux / mac discussion) and having GALVANIC ISOLATION

any device that has a browser supporting html 5 can be used. you coudl even use a cheap chromebook or android tablet.

the key for me is the galvanic isolation as it runs over wifi.

but , before we get there i also want to see some hardware performance.
a scope is foremost defined by
- bandwidth
- sampling speed
- sampling accuracy ( vertical bit depth )
- memory depth
- blind time
- trigger capabilities

logic analyser
- memory depth
- sampling speed
- pattern and protocol triggering

so far we know very little about the lump of hardware there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf