Author Topic: A shoebox size reflow oven.  (Read 4904 times)

Offline hamster_nzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
A shoebox size reflow oven.
« on: December 07, 2017, 08:14:41 pm »
Just saw this...

REFLO - The compact, open, and smart PCB reflow oven. Bake your dream!

https://www.crowdsupply.com/magicbox/reflo

Apparently it is perfect for baking 50mm x 50mm boards, and is only 150mm x 150mm x 68mm.

Initially I though... "O.M.G. WHY? NO!", but now I thinking "Cute, fun, could make use of that, but too expensive for me".

Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
Re: A shoebox size reflow oven.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 07:21:42 am »
The design is stylish for sure, but I'm not sure this thing works as required. The heating element construction is a neat idea but it really increases the thermal mass a lot. This may not be an issue for heating up but it may prevent the oven from cooling down quickly enough. Here, the fan would be helpful but... what's that? The fan feeds into a tube with a diameter of roughly 1cm? And there is no air outlet, so where does the air go? Surely, the fan can't be sucking out the air... oh wait, it is! So they're feeding very hot air directly into the fan! That's not a design I'm confident in, especially since there's no clear air path to me. The air path may be pretty obstructed, reducing air flow.

In short: heating seems fine but cooling... not so sure. Maybe I'm worrying more about this than is warranted but since I can't test the oven in person, being critical is all I can do :)

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 07:54:29 am »
I like my gadgets as much as anyone, but this seems like an overpriced gimmick.  How often do you need to take a reflow oven with you?  Especially one limited to 50x50mm!

Good on them for getting 20 backers at that price  :popcorn:

Offline matseng

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Github
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 09:55:36 am »
The fan feeds into a tube with a diameter of roughly 1cm? And there is no air outlet, so where does the air go? Surely, the fan can't be sucking out the air... oh wait, it is! So they're feeding very hot air directly into the fan!
I didn't see any mention of the air direction in the specs or video, so I guess it could be either sucking or pushing the air out. I mean - the heating area is not hermetically enclosed so the fan could just push out the hot air in all the gaps just as well sucking in cold air thru them. Right?

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 03:25:42 pm »
Does this thing even have a real control panal, or is it IOT wank operated only?
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline MicroBlocks

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 05:16:33 am »
So basically a single hollowed out refractory brick a heating element and some simple electronics. BOM costs about 10US$.
It is an interesting idea though and for about 50USD i would buy one, just to have a play with it.

Online sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 06:07:34 am »
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline pieman103021

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 06:22:15 am »
So basically a single hollowed out refractory brick a heating element and some simple electronics. BOM costs about 10US$.
It is an interesting idea though and for about 50USD i would buy one, just to have a play with it.
Maybe I'd try it for $50, but even then it seems like a flawed product. My main issue with it is the only interface is over bluetooth, I guess that works for some people but it just seems gimmicky to me.
Exclamation Point!

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 09:03:33 am »
Im increasingly adding more and more elements to my workshop that have minimal 'panels' on them.   Couple of machines only have an emergency stop, a heartbeat and ethernet link/act leds.   Anythign else just ends up adding complexity and cost.   Can run everything from a pc, or an ipad and its just fantastic.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 10:47:59 am »
Why would you pay that much for something with such a  stupidly small board size when a toaster oven works just fine?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf