Author Topic: ADSB Recording device  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Lord of nothingTopic starter

• Super Contributor
ADSB Recording device
« on: July 03, 2017, 12:27:32 pm »
Hi
I have just an idea. How about an ADSB Recording device?  :-+
It would be nice to have my own Data away from any 3rd Party website who can be deleted or switched off.
The benefit of an Industrialised Product could be Testing of Electormagnetical interference. Cellphones, Laptop and other stuff can be stayed on during takeoff and landing so an ADSB Receiving Device could also stay on.  :-+
The idea is there are ~3 different Version. All should contain one or more SD Card Slot for (long therm) storage. 2 USB ports for Power also some kind of locked Cable Connection to prevent a powerloss during Takeoff and landing.
Version a -> just a adsb recorder. (Codename "Blackbox)  >:D
Version b -> + Touchscreen Display
Version c / d -> GPS (+ External GPS Antenna Plug) / + Touchscreen

There are some more cool stuff who could be possible like pipe the Data out troth a USB Cable or Wifi*, BT to a Phone or Laptop and share is as a normal USB SDR Dongle to an Virtual Radar Server.

The Protocol who is used on the Device to store the Data on the SD Card must have an Error Correction and it must be possible to skip corrupted Data.

* if Wifi is allowed / Wifi is Avaiable)
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
Re: ADSB Recording device
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 04:21:26 pm »
There are so so many ADSB devices.

You can make your device just with a RasPi + Cheap SDR dongle and dump1090 software - So about Euro 40-50 would get you going.

ADSB Raw data already have CRC

So in reality more or less your product 1 and 3 is already available. You would have to play script kiddie to get the backup stuff to work but apart from that everything is ready to go.

But ADSB takes a HECK of a lot of storage space....... Not that each packet is big  but there are a lot of packets flying above us. My old SBS-1 captures around 50-150.000 packets a day with my indoor antenna - covering about 1500-3000 flights.

Offline Lord of nothingTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 08:24:05 am »
There are so so many ADSB devices.
and non of them support it.
You can make your device just with a RasPi + Cheap SDR dongle and dump1090 software - So about Euro 40-50 would get you going.
need to much space onboard and dont fit in the seat pocket in front of you. Away from the problem with the 1090mhz Antenna. Non of them is made for an onboard environment and GPS is very rare. And i dont talk about an Powerbank...
ADSB Raw data already have CRC
I mean more the data who get stored on a Micro SD the must be stored in a way who allow an application to skip corrupted parts.
So in reality more or less your product 1 and 3 is already available.
Nope its not.
but there are a lot of packets flying above us.
sure but onboard to the limited Antenna and SDR Capacity and the Side where you sitt you will receive just a Hand full Aircraft. I often try to use an Laptop for recording but when the Plane is full its impossible.
My old SBS-1 captures around 50-150.000 packets a day with my indoor antenna - covering about 1500-3000 flights.
Here on my Holiday I also use just an indoor Antenna and there are just ~10 flights during the Day Visible on my Software.

The Recoding stuff is just primailly for the AC who someone is onboard and the near surrounding AC. A Version with GPS when the AC dont have ADSB. ACARS dont work on the Freq and the Windows Size.
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 02:23:24 pm »
Yes you can dump data from DUMP1090. And btw source is available so you can just modify it as you want. Packets are not big and it is not complicated and would be a good starter project.

Too much space? hmmm - there have to be room for the circuits. An SDR is no larger than the current smallest PIC based USB ADSB receiver. The smallest RPI and the USB receiver would work great. To put a PCB antenna on would be crazy as the 1090 MHz signals are not very well detectable. So any PCB based antenna would probably not capture anything further away than a couple of miles at most.

Dump1090 supports skipping corrupt packets.

Here is a link to how you can store data from Dump1090 in a few different ways. I think in the later version you can also dump to binary. (http://discussions.flightaware.com/ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/how-to-log-dump1090-output-to-file-on-pi-t36425.html)

And since you mention GPS - GPS wont give you anything. For MLAT to work and capture planes without  ADS-B - you need MULTIPLE receivers with GPS in an area close enough to enable triangulation. You need at least 4 receivers in an area all with GPS for MLAT to work.  It is not just something you pull out of a hat.

Sorry but I'm actively working with ADSB hardware & software - and I do know a little bit about it. Right now I'm implementing another PIC based ADSB into one of my products that will run on TI ARM based boards. But I can't get that below 2.5cm x 1.2 cm - and it uses about 40-60mA plus what ever the CPU & Display ends up using. So not for long term battery usage.  Decoder software is my own for ARM where I only decode what I really need in TI RTOS.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf