Author Topic: All-in-one USB to isolated-UARTx2/CAN/USB/RS485/RS232  (Read 1868 times)

Offline slim_Topic starter

All-in-one USB to isolated-UARTx2/CAN/USB/RS485/RS232
« on: October 09, 2020, 01:04:32 pm »
Edit: Campaign is live! Campaign price is 56$.

Documentation available on github: https://github.com/slimelec/ollie-hw

I’m launching an open source project on Crowdsupply. It's a multifunction isolated interface module that combines our most commonly used interface modules into one compact device.
https://www.crowdsupply.com/ali-slim/ollie

Some cool features:

Giveaway has ended.
Giveaway:
I have 2 extra fully functional samples, if you’re interested in this project and you want to get an early sample you can sign up using the CrowdSupply link below.
https://www.crowdsupply.com/ali-slim/ollie/updates/giveaway

Any feedback is appreciated. Cheers!

« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 11:08:38 pm by slim_ »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: All-in-one USB to isolated-UARTx2/CAN/USB/RS485/RS232 + Giveaway
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 01:32:55 am »
Nice project   but for mechanical toughness i would have put an usb type b connector, the micro connectors are too easy to damage

my 2 cents

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 12:28:21 pm »
Nice project   but for mechanical toughness i would have put an usb type b connector, the micro connectors are too easy to damage

my 2 cents

I agree, but I had to make a compromise - This is a very compact gadget, the PCB is only 85x35mm.

btw feel free to subscribe to the giveaway, you don't have to back this project later on and you might get a free unit + free shipping.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 12:48:16 pm »

my 2 cents
Type B is outdated and very big. Even printers get rid of it these days. As of mechanical advantage, if compared with good micro USB with TH mounting pins, there is none. Micro USB connector itself is almost indestructible, the only issue is how well it holds onto PCB. Also unless you use high quality type B, it's not reliable. Especially shield connection. While even 2 cent micro USB connector is completely fine. You may have a wrong impression about them because in most cases type B is plugged once and stay like this forever, while micro USB is often plugged daily, and then device drops with plug still attached. You will have a hard time ripping connector on the picture below of from PCB. Though this project seem to use connector with only 2 TH pins which is mech from mechanical standpoint since there is no good support from the back. Hopefully there is no thermal relief for SMT pads under it or standalone pads and it's soldered onto solid piece of copper.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 01:02:13 pm by wraper »

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 02:42:21 pm »
I'm using the 4 TH pin connector, I think its solid enough.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, coromonadalix

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf